Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

ML amplifier and speaker upgrade

Old 01-28-12, 07:21 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML amplifier and speaker upgrade

I was wondering how the ML amp will handle a speaker upgrade in an 11 IS-F. My 08 IS-F sounded more loose and had a bit more punch. My 11 IS-F has more center channel and the bass is weaker. I have some 6 1/2 image dynamics sitting around that I would like to use. I also have some Boston 2 1/2's that I would like to use if possible.

The bottom line is when the sun is shining on a Friday after payday I want to have the windows down and the music up. As it is now I have to have the music at volume 50 to get in that area and it sounds like crap. Not to mention with the windows down. I am looking for the most bang for the buck option for better sound.

I have spent the last two hours sifting through threads and searching for others that have done what I am looking for and have been unsuccessful. If you have what I am looking for or know how to find it please share with me your results.

thank you for your time.
Old 01-29-12, 06:17 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you play with the treb, mids, and bass on your headunit first?

when your windows are down your audio will sound weaker due to the loss of enclosed cabin area. turn your radio to 40 and drive down the road. then roll all your windows down. notice you have to turn the volume up to get the same "loudness" as before?

thats what your post looks like your unhappy with but it also sounds like your unhappy with the performance of the ML amp setup. not really the speakers. if your maxing out the headunit then your throwing all sorts of distortion to your speakers and hence they sound like junk when you have it cranked up regardless....so relax on cranking it or new speakers will be in your future regardless.

if its not loud enough, get a summing device and a 4 channel amp. which as you may have read is a part of a total system upgrade. the speakers (even the factory pioneers are a decent speaker).

see my garage for my audio setup. its much louder then i really wanted but its nice to have. and i have no problems with turning it up with the windows down. im also deeply invested financially into the car. again my $0.02 but your driving a 2011 IS-F. im driving an 06 is250.

let me know if that points you in a better direction and what else your looking for. GL
Old 01-29-12, 06:56 AM
kelzzz
Pole Position

I have an 08 is350 but I dnt have the ML but I got the same problem man
Old 01-29-12, 11:59 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

i've got a 07 ls460 w ML an i managed to swap my oem dash speakers to focal & diamond audio... and it made the world of difference.. just make sure u use super efficient speakers an u should be fine.. (most aftermarket speakers are power hungry) an will need loads of power so to heard.. because the power out of the ML amp is limited u'll need to do some research to find the right match for ur system...

Last edited by Shibumi1; 02-07-12 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-30-12, 10:11 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The factory amp in my ES-350 drives Phoenix Gold component speakers in the dash (tweeters) and doors (mids). The factory "crossover" is nothing more than a cheap capacitor to filter the lows from the tweeter. Just replacing a speaker isn't enough. You must have a quality, matching crossover to really enjoy the new speakers.
Old 02-06-12, 02:48 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speakers

I had a same issue with the system in my 2010 HS - although non-ML though. It sounded worse than my previous car's JBL system.
I spent almost a grand to get JBL MS-8 installed - thinking that it must be the factory amp because the speakers sound good.
With the MS-8 installed and tuned, it sounded good - not very loud though because the built-in amp is only 18W RMS per channel into 4 ohm speakers.
In the meantime, being a Harman Kardon fan, after searching on their site for couple of weeks, I chanced upon a European model 6.5" speaker set on clearance for less than $45 and got 2 sets. These are 70W RMS component speakers - they came with their own cross-overs (wish I had bought more )
As luck would have it, even before I had a chance to get the new speakers installed, due to some issues, I had to have my MS-8 removed from the car.
Later on, before getting the MS-8 reinstalled, I decided to have the speakers installed first and wow - what a difference.
As Shibumi1 has pointed out earlier, the new JBL speakers are highly efficient ( 91db) and it feels like the factory amp is, almost 10W RMS/channel more powerful too. I'm satisfied with the quality of the music reproduction (I'm quite picky about sound though - have DVD-A system in Acura MDX, Harman Kardon receivers and Infinity speakers at home).
My recommendation would be -
  1. Replace the speakers with high efficiency higher wattage component ones. JBL or Inifinity are known for crisp highs - just an FYI.
  2. If it is still not loud enough, I'd recommend a summing device like MS-8 ( you can find an MS-8 for around $600), but beware - with any summing device, you lose the ability to fade from front to back from your head unit. Just an FYI - MS-8 was easy to install and very easy to tune. In addition, even though MS-8 can do 30W RMS/channel into 2 ohms, in all probability, you'll be able to get something around 25W RMS/channel due to many real life issues.
  3. If you still want it louder, you'll need to invest in external amps. You'll need 2 of them to run 4 channels + center + woofer. And there're few more headaches -
    - You'll need to replace the center channel speaker - which in all probability is 3.5" only. (please see my post on speaker specs for HS - both regular and ML. And good luck finding a good 3.5" 70W RMS speaker ( there're none)
    - In addition, you'll also need to replace your sub - although finding a good 8" sub is a lot easier.
I think audio system in 2011 IS-F should not be very different from 2010 HS due to manufacturing efficiency reasons - please see this thread and you may be able to find additional information posted by TheAirman which may be helpful. If you want to be absolutely sure, or if you're looking for additional information, I'd recommend getting a $15 2-day standard subscription from Toyota's Technical Information system and download as much as you can get your hands on in those 2 days .
If you decide to go for speakers, although for an HS this thread by orateam may be helpful.
Whatever you decide to pursue, please post back your experience - the community will be interested. I've vested interest in it too - I've my MS-8 yet to be reinstalled and I've 2 4-channel amps waiting for me to find a right 3.5" center channel speaker
Old 02-06-12, 06:15 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I was thinking to swap out some of the speakers in the car. Like the ones in the front door 6.5's with some Image Dynamics components. Maybe upgrading the sub too. I am not sure that the factory amp will do much more though. I am starting to think that my 08 ISF had upgraded speakers in it because the bass was a bit deeper and tighter. Although it topped out at the same level and would distort easily.

Is there an amp that we can swap out directly? I have to imagine no but doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-07-12, 06:16 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Default Speakers

I'd think that it'll definitely be a good start.
As I wrote earlier, that's exactly what I've at this time - all four doors replaced with 6.5" components (JBL though).
Just googled Image Dynamics and found this - they have a 92 db sensitivity and should be good (expensive!!).
Just another FYI - after 4 speakers were installed, bass sounds better in my car - probably because it is being assisted by the 4 6.5" speakers on the doors.
You may want to asses it after the installation of the speakers to see if you're okay with how loud it can be.
Old 02-07-12, 11:52 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rajeev6
[*]If you still want it louder, you'll need to invest in external amps. You'll need 2 of them to run 4 channels + center + woofer. And there're few more headaches -
- You'll need to replace the center channel speaker - which in all probability is 3.5" only. (please see my post on speaker specs for HS - both regular and ML. And good luck finding a good 3.5" 70W RMS speaker ( there're none)
- In addition, you'll also need to replace your sub - although finding a good 8" sub is a lot easier.[/LIST]
Rajeev6,
I have the same dilemma with my 2GS w/ ML.. I want to go aftermarket amps but there's no good 5/6ch amps. How were you planning to wire the 2x 4ch amps to get optimal sound out of our 5.1 speakers? Obviously I would need to bridge 2ch for more power on the subwoofer, but as you said, there's no good 3.5" speakers available, so I'd be concerned about bridging it and subsequently blowing it.

FYI I have a CarPC I will be installing that supports 5.1 audio output I'd like to take advantage of - not just run 4 + 1 ch and leave the center unused.
Old 02-07-12, 06:24 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
Rajeev6,
I have the same dilemma with my 2GS w/ ML.. I want to go aftermarket amps but there's no good 5/6ch amps. How were you planning to wire the 2x 4ch amps to get optimal sound out of our 5.1 speakers? Obviously I would need to bridge 2ch for more power on the subwoofer, but as you said, there's no good 3.5" speakers available, so I'd be concerned about bridging it and subsequently blowing it.

FYI I have a CarPC I will be installing that supports 5.1 audio output I'd like to take advantage of - not just run 4 + 1 ch and leave the center unused.
ACTUALLY MMATS just released an awesome 6ch class d full range amplifier.....and it has a tiny footprint 10"x9.5"x2.25"

its listed @ 6x150w @ 4ohms..

but i know it to be a lil more like 4x250 @ 2ohms + 1x900 @ 1ohm (or 2x450 @ .5 ohms)

i have 2 going in my Ls very soon...

http://mmatsproaudio.com/home/ultimate-sq-2/

and infinity makes an incredible 3.5.... but i went with the Focal Utopia 3".... all i can say is EARGASIM!!!!!

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-so...n-7-active.php

Last edited by Shibumi1; 02-07-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 09:03 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
ACTUALLY MMATS just released an awesome 6ch class d full range amplifier.....and it has a tiny footprint 10"x9.5"x2.25"

its listed @ 6x150w @ 4ohms..

but i know it to be a lil more like 4x250 @ 2ohms + 1x900 @ 1ohm (or 2x450 @ .5 ohms)

i have 2 going in my Ls very soon...

http://mmatsproaudio.com/home/ultimate-sq-2/

and infinity makes an incredible 3.5.... but i went with the Focal Utopia 3".... all i can say is EARGASIM!!!!!

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-so...n-7-active.php
So the ML amp is a 6 channel amp? would the one that you posted work as a direct replacement?
Old 02-08-12, 04:12 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

you would need an audio interface like the JBL MS-8 or the Audio Control LC-8... they will give you the ability to turn power from the oem amp to signal that can be used by the amp.. also the ability to combine channels so an aftermarket component set my be used..
Old 02-08-12, 08:08 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Overall goals? I'd highly recommend speakers first. And if you're after sound QUALITY, then look no further than Dynaudio components. The stock speakers in ML systems are second rate at best, despite the flowery reviews.
Old 02-08-12, 01:45 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Rajeev6,
I went with 2 4-channel amps from JBL - the 6-channels ones were more expensive. This gives me additional option if I ever wanted 2 additional speakers near the rear windshield.

Wow - I can't believe this - I have same plans - I've an old laptop (SSD, X-Fi USB sound) waiting to be installed - some day . I plan on using foobar and controlling that simply from Anamon iphone remote controller.What are you planning?
Old 02-08-12, 01:49 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
So the ML amp is a 6 channel amp? would the one that you posted work as a direct replacement?
ML amp is a 8-channel amp. However, ML or Premium, in both case, it is not just amp - it is integrated to the head unit in such a way that you can't take it out. I tried disconnecting it but then the radio will not even change to another station!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ML amplifier and speaker upgrade