Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help my mom please...RX300 amp

Old 11-18-11, 12:46 PM
wopachop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 amp

My mom has a 2000 RX300. Radio stopped working a year ago. They want to charge her 500 bucks to ship her amp back east to fix it.

I good at wrenching on stuff. Never got into the whole audio scene though....does she have to use a Lexus brand amp? Her mechanic is telling her yes. Cant i just put Lexus style connectors on some generic amp? Im good with solder iron.

She is an old woman she dont need a bumping *** system. Trying to save her money.

Any advice much appreciated thanks!!!

Last edited by wopachop; 11-18-11 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 02:50 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

1st.. welcome .. 2nd i believe the tech is correct,, chk w United Radio in NY they do a great job for a reasonable price...(but send it urself) shops tend to add $$ to a repair charge so they can profit... fyi estimates are free @ UR but they need the unit to make an accurate assessment...

Good Luck
Old 11-19-11, 08:08 AM
wopachop
Driver School Candidate

Wish i came here earlier.

She took car to shop. $95 diagnostic and told her the amp repair back in NY wil be around $2-300.

The shop already send the amp to NY.

Now theyre telling her it will be $475 total.

Sucks cause my ma called Lexus and a brand new amp was in the 400 range. I love wrenching on cars just never got into the radio side of things.

At this point not sure what to do. Gonna get a quote from United Radio maybe...

Thanks again!!

But really you cant make a generic amp work with the Lexus equipment? Dont companies like Alpine for example make aftermarket products that work with OEM equip?
Old 11-19-11, 08:11 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Why not post a WTB on here or search eBay for an RX300 amp?
Old 11-19-11, 09:10 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by wopachop
But really you cant make a generic amp work with the Lexus equipment? Dont companies like Alpine for example make aftermarket products that work with OEM equip?
Yes, really. Lexus, like many other manufacturers now, uses proprietary technology to get the signal from the radio to the amp, and they do not disclose this to the aftermarket. Anything that integrates with the factory audio in these style systems does so after the amp, since it's actually a DSP and amp in one unit - and the reason why you can't just drop in a decent 4 channel amp and call it good.

And I agree with Thomas - see if someone might have one here or on ebay. Can't hurt to look around for a few days if she's lived without it for a year...

Big Mack