Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Replacing front 6x9's with alternative - M Levinson - specs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 03:15 PM
llebcire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front 6x9's with alternative - M Levinson - specs?

Hello!

As a new owner of a 2004 GX470 with the Mark Levinson, I've learned that the factory speakers don't seem to fare very well with heavy bass. I lost the passenger door a week ago and the driver's door this morning. Was listening to bass heavy music but by no means over driving the system.

When I disconnected the passenger speaker on Wednesday, I didn't see any obvious damage and it has a rattle when playing - sounds like the voice coil is separating from the driver. Cone, spider and surround are all intact and the coil doesn't feel like it's rubbing in the magnet - seems as though the original adhesive failed.

I've priced OEM replacements ($150/ea.) and found shops that could repair ($40/ea.) but I'm thinking of replacing with a different driver.

Couple of questions:

Anyone have a link to an overview of the audio system? I seem to find them for the LS and IS - not the GX.

I can't seem to find the specs for the drivers - speculation is anywhere from 4 - 8 ohms, with 8 ohms being the consensus.

From my initial research it looks like I'll need an 8 ohm replacement driver which is difficult as most of the automotive applications are 4 ohm. I did see the Cadence driver but it's rated as a mid-range driver with a low end of 150hz - we already have a mid-range driver in the door with the 6x9. I'm okay with a full ranger (2-3 way) .

If the system has a dedicated subwoofer, installing a 6.5" woofer with a baffle may be another option.

Thanks!!

-Eric
Old 10-15-11, 04:25 PM
llebcire
Driver School Candidate

It took me about 15 minutes to disconnect the driver's speaker, but before I did I managed to determine the surround has failed where the trim ring meets the frame - difficult to see but I assume the passenger side is the same.

I'm thinking of trying the silicone method instead of replacing.

-Eric
Old 10-16-11, 06:07 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

would you like to upgrade to something that can handle bass heavy music? if so then you can get mid bass drivers and put them in there.

its easy to find out the resistance of the stock speaker, just put a meter on it and see what it reads.

i personally would never attempt to repair a broken speaker unless that speaker was worth the time effort and money. the stock ML speakers are not, in my opinion.
Old 10-17-11, 05:06 AM
llebcire
Driver School Candidate

As a retired custom audio installer, I appreciate and would prefer to maintain the simplicity of keeping the system stock - the main reason I am interested in repairing the surrounds on the 6x9's.

I'm curious as to the factory subwoofer in the GX470 with Levinson - location and size?

Thinking I may order the surround for it as well as the LS seems to have issues.

-Eric
Old 10-20-11, 08:18 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

well where does it sound like the factory sub is located? in the back side panels? what does it look like?

check out crutchfield.com cartoys.com and metraonline.com to get some ideas of where and what size it might be.