Sponsored by:

grom I3 Ipod/BT in an 04 Gx470

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:48 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default grom I3 Ipod/BT in an 04 Gx470

I picked up the Grom I3 with the iPod and Bluetooth options from Autotoys a few days ago. I am planning to tackle the installation next week or so, I had some questions, hoping others may have already attempting this install;

- My understanding is that on my 04 Nav/ML I will need to remove the glove box CD changer. Can I attach the Grom adapter to the same cable connected to the box of the cd changer, in the space formerly vacated by the changer? This would seem to be easier them removing the entire dash to get to the head unit harness.

- If I can't use the CD changer cabling, is their any point removing the changer or should I just leave it behind?

- Anybody using a mounting bracket to hold a dock/cradle? I was leaning towards the Panavise:

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-11, 12:22 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

I got the Grom unit installed today. Fairly simple process, just followed the other threads that exist for radio removal and glove box removal. Once I get the glove box out and inspected the CD changer, it uses a different harness connector on the glove box side then which the grom is equipped, so unfortunately I couldn't easily splice into this harness from that end.

I did go ahead and remove the radio, disconnected the CD changer connection at the head unit side next, and installing the Grom/Toyota Y cable adapter. This cable had one plug for the HU, one plug for the CD changer and one plug for the Grom unit. To make a long story short, I found the system to work best when the CD changer plug on the Y cable was left vacant. I taped up the unused CD changer plug on the HU side to the main harness and taped up the Y cable plug to the grom harness.

With the CD changer removed, there is plenty of room for the grom unit, ipod an BT cables in the CD changer glove box location. The HU harness is long enough to reach this location, so I zip tied the grom unit to the CD changer brackets and left the 2 DIN plugs and MiniSD slot facing the glove box opening for access.

I located the microphone for the bluetooth hands free to the side of the steering wheel by the cluster of buttons closest to driver side door. I ran this wire back into the CD changer glove box location. I then zip tied the bluetooth transmitter to the passenger side CD changer bracket and ran the DIN plug into the grom, and connected the microphone cable to the BT transmitter cable. Finally I plugged in the ipod DIN cable and ran that into the main glovebox location where I will keep my ipod.

With everything put back together and all my devices reboot and tuned properly, I am very happy with the setup. The ipod sounds great and can be controlled by the steering wheel controls. The Bluetooth audio streaming sounds just as good, I tried pandora and some mp3s -- couldn't tell the difference. The handsfree also works well enough, voice comes through loud and clear the main stereo and the microphone location seems to be effective based on my test calls.

The only complaint, is that I have an infrequent whine/hiss noise which seems to come and go. At first, it was much worse and constant, but it improved greatly when I disconnected the CD changer from the Y cable. After that, it seems to come and go, often power down/up the HU or even just change track will stop the hiss. My best guess is a ground loop at the grom unit, I am talking w/ tech support about splicing in a ground loop isolate on the power leg into the grom.
Old 10-31-11, 06:55 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Spent about 10 days with the Grom system installed, here are some of my updated thoughts;

PROs

Outstanding SQ with ipod and the steering wheel track/PL controls work very well.
Bluetooth hands free provides very good call quality on both ends.
The A2DP streaming plays at same time as the ipod. This lets me run a navigation app and play the ipod.
The hands free pauses the iPod when a call comes in.
The ipod is also paused when the radio is turned off (but still charges)

CONs

Very poor grounding design and lack of any kind of case protection, still an infrequent whine.
A2DP volume level seems to be lower then ipod/radio. Tried multiple devices with same result.
Sirius android app sound quality poor for music and no sat radio integration options.
Not very impressed w/ Grom tech support when troubleshooting my whine issues.

Overall I'd give the unit a 4 out of 5 stars. If they could improve the grounding, maybe provide a shielded case and or an integrated loop isolator, I would give it a 5 out of 5.
Old 12-21-11, 09:28 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

After some time with the unit, I have finally figured out how to view artist and track title information on the navigation screen. If you put the Grom unit into Disc 2 mode, and then under the audio screen hit the title button, it will temporarily display the artist name and track title from the ipod on the display. I wish I could get this information displayed instead of the track number when advancing tracks and having the navigation map up, but I am pleasantly surprised to find this feature working.
Old 12-27-11, 11:16 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the details. I am looking for a BT/Audio unit for my iphone for my RX330. I will look into the GROM unit
Old 02-08-12, 08:27 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

I finally resolved the issues with whine and hiss ... It turns out the grom ipod cable was defective. I was able to get a one-time replacement cable for $5 shipped from grom under the 12 month warranty.
Old 09-20-12, 09:55 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good information. So this eliminates the cd changer altogether? Does hands free display any text on nav screen? How are things so far with this unit given some time?

thanks,