Sponsored by:

AM Radio Recption - Aftermarket HU - RX330

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 11:24 AM
dug320
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AM Radio Recption - Aftermarket HU - RX330

I successfully installed a Kenwood DNX 6160. But it has a lot of interference on AM.

This noise was present on the Factory HU. This noise is present on any aftermarket radio hooked up.

When I hook up the larger antenna plug there is some interference but the reception is weak. When I hook the smaller plug there is major interference.

Hooking up both with a Y connector produces major interference.
An in-line noise filter slightly reduces the interference.

No noise is produced when only the accessory is on. A hand radio reveals the same pattern with interference when the engine is on. When I pass the hand radio over the engine cover the noise is pronounced over cylinders 1,3 and 4.

My question is why is the interference only on the aftermarket hu? And is it because the coil assemblies on cylinders 1,3 and 4 are leaking and should be replaced?

What else could it be? XMradio is not an option as it does not carry my stations and is too expensive.
Old 09-21-11, 11:31 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AM does not use any outside antenna, it is amplitude modulation and there is a small coiled antenna inside the radio itself. The other thing that looks like an antenna is the power source for the factory HU so if you used the Y cable and fed the power and FM antenna into your afermarket HU antenna spot you probably did a number on the internal electronics inside the aftermarket HU... In your post you say "This noise was present on the Factory HU. This noise is present on any aftermarket radio hooked up. " then you say "My question is why is the interference only on the aftermarket hu?"

Did the factory unit have issues with AM or no?

-Joe
Old 09-21-11, 07:31 PM
dug320
Rookie

Oops.

There was no noise in the factory.

I can plug the aftermarket hu into my older Camry and it does not make any noise. If I put the factory hu back it does not make any noise.
Old 09-22-11, 07:15 AM
jamodeo

Ok, do you have the correct wiring harness or did you make it yourself? Do you have any other aftermarket radios you can try in your car? It sounds like something is not properly grounded in your RX, but when you plug in the stock HU or use the aftermarket in your camery they might both be properly grounded which is why its not presenting an issues otherwise. Where are you running your ground to for your aftermarket in your RX?

-Joe
Old 09-22-11, 07:20 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by dug320
No noise is produced when only the accessory is on. A hand radio reveals the same pattern with interference when the engine is on.
I apologize for not (obviously) reading your entire post thoroughly, I missed this part... I will still run through ideas to help though... You can always text me if you are sitting in the car and want any help. I will send you a PM with my cell #

-Joe
Old 09-22-11, 09:49 AM
dug320
Rookie

I could argue it is an ignition coil. But, as, there is no noise on the factory hu this could be eliminated.

When I examine the differences between the RX and my Camry I find the RX has in factory inline antenna amp.

I suspect that amp may causing the problem as it may not be compatible with the aftermarket. But if this is the case I cannot find anyone else posting the same problem.
Old 10-01-11, 04:24 PM
dug320
Rookie

I re-examined the situation and discovered the following.

When I plug in the large antenna connection I have almost no noise but the reception is poor. When I plug in the smaller connection the noise is high and the reception is great.

I see the noticed the unit does not have an antenna amp, I ran a ground wire to the battery to rule out the ground issue,
Old 10-01-11, 06:54 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont listen to AM...

/ problem

Seriously who the hell listens to AM anyway??? Its 2011 for gods sake!! Thats like complaining about your Betamax having ****ty picture quality on your 55" flatscreen LMAO
Old 10-01-11, 11:30 PM
dug320
Rookie

Good for you. I DO listen to AM.

Beta was not so bad. Beta would still look good on a big screen today.