Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Cheap Double Din Setup? Ebay Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 01:21 AM
tenshu2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Double Din Setup? Ebay Nav?

Well I just picked up a 99 sc300. Its good, but somehow I've become dependent on a navigation system in life. It's sad, but what can I do now.

Anyway, what's a super cheap option?

Ebay seems flooded with $250 Nav double-din systems. Has anyone had any experience with these? They also seem to be overkill for what I need. The sellers are all HK/China based, so I'm a little skeptical... but still possibly willing to take the risk.

All I need is Nav + Radio + Ipod/Iphone (CD player would be nice). Good nav is pretty key though.

Any help is appreciated. If I do go the ebay route, expect a detailed review.
Old 08-22-11, 08:34 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a lot of customers come in with them and students that have bought them. Don't expect much.

While they do work fine I say that in its simplest terms. They work, although not well. Common problems are overheating (unit shuts off), poor CD/DVD playback, VERY limited audio tuning and flexibility, poor motorization (changing the viewing angle causes the motor to jam), and most common....ELECTRICAL NOISE!!!! Most do not use only solid state electronics. The end result can be severe alternator whine, radiated noise, and white noise with no solution to rid the system of that noise.

So....Caveat Emptor....Let The Buyer Beware.
Old 08-22-11, 11:48 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I've had a lot of customers come in with them and students that have bought them. Don't expect much.

While they do work fine I say that in its simplest terms. They work, although not well. Common problems are overheating (unit shuts off), poor CD/DVD playback, VERY limited audio tuning and flexibility, poor motorization (changing the viewing angle causes the motor to jam), and most common....ELECTRICAL NOISE!!!! Most do not use only solid state electronics. The end result can be severe alternator whine, radiated noise, and white noise with no solution to rid the system of that noise.

So....Caveat Emptor....Let The Buyer Beware.

agreed!!!! im not a fan of the cheap asian stuff.. u get what u pay for... id invest more in a quality unit rather than skimp here, in the long run u'll see the return in those few dollars spent now..
Old 08-27-11, 05:59 PM
mrjaydm
Rookie

Stay away from these Chinese units, I had one in my old car and it was nothing short of a nightmare. The first one I got was not touch responsive, I send it back to China and get another one after weeks of waiting. The touch screen failed again a few months later. They are cheap junk and do nothing but freeze on you. Spend the extra money and get a brand name unit, you will thank your self in the long run!
Old 08-27-11, 08:11 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

stick to name brands!!! (Pioneer and Kenwood are two MAIN ones)

for example the AVIC-D3 is a pretty old unit but people tend to love it. seeing as u dont want something super pricy (AVIC-Z130BT) and want sometihng simplistic, go with the D3, ull be happy

p.s., the ipod functions on the pioneers are outstanding
Old 08-28-11, 07:31 AM
Brians650
Driver School Candidate

I run a Alpine w205 in one of my cars. that said I wouldn't use its navigation to save my life. That said I use it to run my processor (pxa-h701) and thats about it.

I would look Pioneer myself if navi was important. I myself when I do the install in my sc am going to look @ making my phones navi work on the screen.
Old 08-30-11, 05:34 PM
tenshu2k
Rookie

Decided to go with the Avic-X930BT (other choices were Clarion and JVC).

$750 installed, is that a decent deal?
Old 09-02-11, 09:12 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tenshu2k
Decided to go with the Avic-X930BT (other choices were Clarion and JVC).

$750 installed, is that a decent deal?
Fair price
Old 09-02-11, 11:33 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Look into Jvc kw-nt3hdt I have this in my Z.
It does everything, nav, traffic, bt streaming, great soumd quality, and detachable face for about $800.
Old 09-02-11, 08:18 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

930bt is a great radio.... shouldnt have any issues.. 750 installed is good price as well
Old 01-23-14, 06:34 AM
jgutta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrjaydm
Stay away from these Chinese units, I had one in my old car and it was nothing short of a nightmare. The first one I got was not touch responsive, I send it back to China and get another one after weeks of waiting. The touch screen failed again a few months later. They are cheap junk and do nothing but freeze on you. Spend the extra money and get a brand name unit, you will thank your self in the long run!
You do realize even if you do spend the extra money on a "good" unit 9/10 it's still made in China right?