Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know b4 installing 2-WAY Alarm/Remote Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 11:41 PM
kmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to know b4 installing 2-WAY Alarm/Remote Starter?

-00 Gs400-

read in the manual and it says if I want a 2 way security alarm i'll have to contact my Lexus Dealer. Just wondering what do I need to know before having a 2-Way Security alarm/Remote Starter Installed?
Old 08-17-11, 08:23 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, don't take it to the dealer.

The Magnusson-Moss act prevents dealers from mandating that you use their "product" as opposed to an outside product unless they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that by using outside products you WILL damage the vehicle.

That being said, dealerships & auto manufacturers DO NOT MAKE OEM REMOTE STARTS!!! They do have factory alarms that are crap though. Any alarm/remote start that is "installed" by a dealer is farmed out to shops like mine that do dealer work.

So, the "factory" Auto Mate remote start that the dealer sells you for 500-800 installed is the EXACT ONE you get from my shop for 225 installed.
Old 08-17-11, 11:53 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

not entirely true.. the new gm's have oem integrated remote starters built in...

you need a basic knowledge of electrical circuits the gen2 gs isnt really hard to work on..(i used to own 1) make sure u have the proper transponder bypass, also make sure to hook up the key sense wire(before the engine starts) so the steering wheel motorizes out.. if not you'll have to set it everytime u get in after remote start..

make sure u use a name brand alarm.. the cheap asian junk may cause a ton of problems!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-11, 10:44 PM
kmy
Driver

I'm planning on a AutoPage or Compustar installed at a shop. I dont like cheap stuff on my Lex's. Money is not a problem to me. I want the $500-600 one. I need the longest range bc my company is as big as an Airport and I'd like to start my car 1/4 mile away but inside buildings the range decreases so I need the strongest range.

I'll make sure to mention the steering wheel when I have it installed.

...but it CAN be down correct? The manual is just to freak me out?

Last edited by kmy; 08-17-11 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 12:26 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

You won't have to set the steering wheel each time. Without tagging the keysense the wheel just wont go down when you remote start. It will when you put the key in the ignition though.

Personally not a fan at all of compustar but I love AutoPage. Just get a C3 unit and the smartphone module. Start your car via your smartphone from anywhere in the world!
Old 08-18-11, 06:54 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
You won't have to set the steering wheel each time. Without tagging the keysense the wheel just wont go down when you remote start. It will when you put the key in the ignition though.

Personally not a fan at all of compustar but I love AutoPage. Just get a C3 unit and the smartphone module. Start your car via your smartphone from anywhere in the world!

agreed.. not a fan of compustar.. autopage is great C3 works well.. im a real big fan of dei..smart start works just as well as c3.. (python 991 is what i have on my car.. an i cant start the car from inside the movie theater .. theater room almost 1/2 mile away without smart start)

but if memory serves after the engine is running putting the key in the ign slot the steering wheel stays up...
Old 08-18-11, 07:02 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

can start..(cant was typo)
Old 08-19-11, 01:01 AM
Banda798
Driver

you may want to register here http://www.directechs.com/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f put in the year, make, model and it will ask which alarm and will let you know which is what and where it is usually located at
Old 08-19-11, 01:04 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Banda798
you may want to register here http://www.directechs.com/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f put in the year, make, model and it will ask which alarm and will let you know which is what and where it is usually located at

i have a directechs acct.. there a great help.. i use it daily.. waiting on cust info now to finish a smart start install (as im waiting i figured id chk to see what was happening on CL) lol
Old 08-19-11, 04:49 PM
Banda798
Driver

yea, I haven't had an alarm installed on the car cause I like the feature of me not having to unlock the car, which is why I didn't get an alarm installed yet
Old 08-19-11, 08:17 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

yea, I haven't had an alarm installed on the car cause I like the feature of me not having to unlock the car, which is why I didn't get an alarm installed yet

on the Ls u dont have too unlock the car.. if u use a dei alarm (I have the python 991) and an idatalink or flash logic bypass module u can use the oem remote to arm/disarm the oem & aftermarket alarm @ the same time.. u only need the python remote for remote start or if u opt for smart start u can use ur smart phone to do the rem start...

so i walk up an in the same time the oem unlocks 2secs later the python disarms thru the proximity sensors
Old 08-20-11, 10:52 AM
Banda798
Driver

sounds good, gotta link for that ?? .... I know of the datalink my cousin used it on my 07 suburban & '10 f-450 truck
Old 08-22-11, 12:29 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

sounds good, gotta link for that ?? .... I know of the datalink my cousin used it on my 07 suburban & '10 f-450 truck
i'd stick with the multi series(green box) few part #'s to search thru but w/the 3 mods u can do almost any car..

http://www.idatalink.com/
Old 08-22-11, 12:34 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

you will need to have the module flashed to the proper firmware to work with a given vehicle.. if u need any help pm me..
Old 08-22-11, 05:21 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
but if memory serves after the engine is running putting the key in the ign slot the steering wheel stays up...
You know I think you are right. I have been trying to wrack my brain for a while to remember since I haven't done one without the keysense in so long I think I forgot what happened. I just asked my co-instructor and he said it does fail to go back down when the key is inserted in the ignition. You can insert, remove and insert again and it should work

Quick Reply: What do I need to know b4 installing 2-WAY Alarm/Remote Starter?