Sponsored by:

pillar speaker pods in gs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 08:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

You're still going to experience challenges with doing a mid/tweet in the a pillar since the path length to your ears will be different unless you push them pretty far forward (almost dash mount at that point).

Do you have time alignment available? You will likely need this and a good EQ in order to achieve what you are looking for. That and a lot of seat time doing the tuning.

Big Mack
Old 06-05-11, 10:12 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
You're still going to experience challenges with doing a mid/tweet in the a pillar since the path length to your ears will be different unless you push them pretty far forward (almost dash mount at that point).

Do you have time alignment available? You will likely need this and a good EQ in order to achieve what you are looking for. That and a lot of seat time doing the tuning.

Big Mack
What he said!

It'll raise your soundstage but the sound will be very side-biased unless you do a lot of time alignment; in which case it'll make things worse for your passenger (if that matters to you). Take a tape measure and measure from where you're looking at putting the speakers on each side to your ears and look at the difference; then measure from the kickpanels. I'm of the belief that kickpanels will give you the best stage if done right.
Old 06-05-11, 11:16 PM
krazyl3gz
Driver

My interior is actually grey. It might look a little off because of the flash at night. The color fabric we used for the liner is close enough that you can't tell its different unless you look extra hard.

Like everyone said above if you add mids AND tweeters it will raise the sound stage but you will have to do more tuning to get it to sound right. Time alignment alone won't do the trick.
Old 06-07-11, 04:58 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

im not a complete rookie at the car audio game, but im definitely no expert and dont know much about time alignment and with having to account for all the offsets of speaker distances and all the tunning for a 3 way.

so should i just get a really good pair of 2 ways?

i would love to at least try that 3 way. but i guess if i dont set it up correctly, i wont get the benefits of a 3 way and a 2 way would probably end up sounding just as good.
Old 06-12-11, 10:06 AM
16psibrick
Rookie

my opinion is that if sound quality is your goal, unless you do do a proper job of installing a 3 way, which in my opinion is the midrange close to the tweeter, whcih here also means up on the A pillar or dash pods; i would just go with a 2 way.

also mentioned here is the need to have time alignment and other tuning abilities with a good signal processor if you are going to go that location. i do agree as well.

if you want to take a listen to what a 2 way active set up sounds like in a car, give me an email and we can meet up no pressure what so ever to buy anything from me.

also, i should have at least 30-40 A pillar set ups on my site, just click on the pictures and it will take you to the install log

Bing@simplicityinsound
Old 06-12-11, 11:44 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by robertoyou
im not a complete rookie at the car audio game, but im definitely no expert and dont know much about time alignment and with having to account for all the offsets of speaker distances and all the tuning for a 3 way.
You have to account for speaker distances and doing proper tuning with both 2 and 3 way systems. The main difference between a 2 and 3 way is the addition of a dedicated midrange, as opposed to a woofer and tweeter. The woofer handles midbass and midrange in a 2 way. In a 3 way, you get a midbass, midrange, and tweeter. This setup is more challenging, but the results are (usually, since most who buy 3 ways do proper staging/tuning) a quality of sound with more of a presence than a 2 way. A very good 2 way system can compete, but it is more challenging.

so should i just get a really good pair of 2 ways?
Based on what you say below, I think so. A good 2 way system setup properly will walk all over a poorly setup 3 way system (shocking, I know).

i would love to at least try that 3 way. but i guess if i dont set it up correctly, i wont get the benefits of a 3 way and a 2 way would probably end up sounding just as good.
If you can't set it up yourself and cannot afford to have it done, a 2 way may work better for you - but there are no shortcuts. Even a 2 way requires proper setup and tuning in order to sound good. I've heard moderately priced systems that sounded MUCH more expensive because they were installed and tuned properly. Kind of like a security system - it's only as good as the installation putting it in.

Big Mack
Old 06-19-11, 10:22 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

yeah ive decided il try a new pair of components. hopefully i hear/like the differance and that'll satisfy me, at least for another while.

currently im running diamond audio all around:

http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/105/119/

but im thinking about upgrading to image dynamics xs65:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle
Old 06-22-11, 08:27 AM
16psibrick
Rookie

yeah just remember a lot of how a system sound is the install and tuning, placement is key but placement without the ability to properly tune for it isnt as good...

one word about ID though...with the recent events at ID...not sure if its a good choices to use that speaker in case you have issues with it down the line.