Sponsored by:

2gs w/Nav System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 03:29 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2gs w/Nav System Upgrade

Howdy! I have been scouring the net and these forums for ideas on how to upgrade the headunit for those of us lucky enough to have the factory nav with A/C controls. I haven't been able locate many choices so I have few ideas I want to bounce off you folks.

Option One: Will it fit? Any suggestions?
Install a standard single DIN headunit in the ashtray location. I have located a pic with the ashtray removed but I can't tell if a unit will fit. I see the bracket support but can that be modified?

Is there enough depth?

Option Two: I'm not crazy about this but its worth suggesting.
Install a marine unit either in the glove box or in trunk area and purchase the wired remote. The wired remote could be mounted in a few different locations but again the ashtray area is a desirable location.

The kenwood has a nice footprint.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ts%7c6-channel
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113RC10....html?tp=13308

What do you think? Has anyone attemped anything like this already? Any other ideas or suggestions are appriciated!

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.
Old 06-02-11, 05:24 PM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always purchase a climate control LCD unit from a non-nav car. It plugs and bolts right in. Then get the JDM double din kit from the dealer and you can mount any double din headunit below. It is the closest you will get to factory look. LCD double dins look nice. If I didnt already have factory Nav and ML in mine, I would have done this immediately. I cant see tearing out my system as long as it is working.....
Old 06-04-11, 12:41 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Thanks for the input dungut!

I see what you are saying...

I was originaly thinking about keeping the factory nav and just trying to add another head unit, but I see what you are saying and I agree. I have already got on ebay and picked up the a/c controls for $150.00

I have seen two other double DIN kits online, but you are still suggesting get it from the Lexus dealership? Any idea how much it might run? I am still going to use the factory brackets that are in my car correct?
Old 06-04-11, 12:49 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

I also replaced my rear door speakers this morning with image dynamics CTX-4s. I was pretty happy with the install. The first door took about 2 hours but that is because I was taking my time, and it was the first time for me take the door panels apart. It was very easy and the second one only took an hour. The speakers went in with no mods and turned out pretty clean. Here's a few pics...

I also did a test fit for my morel dotech ovation 4s for the front speakers and they are a perfect fit for the factory pods. I pretty excited about getting those in and hearing how they sound.
Old 06-04-11, 12:55 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

I was also planning out my amp installation and I ran across this. Does anyone know what this green box is?
Old 06-04-11, 11:45 PM
dungut
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good so far. That box in your trunk is the OEM Nav brain and hard drive. Looks like you have a 98-00 Nav car. Since you are ditching the stock nav system, you can remove that box. I would recc running new wires to each door from the headunit or external amp. The factory uses pioneer amp and could get confusing for wiring.

This is the JDM double din kit: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...-dash-kit.html

looks like you can call carson toyota in CA and speak to Luis. Tell him you are from clublexus and he can get you the best deal. Should be under 60. Sounds pricey yes, but for factory parts, and the bezel matches the factory greyish color the climate control comes in.

Good luck. Keep posting pictures!
Old 06-05-11, 11:02 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

to answer your question i've heard people say it should work as long as u get an a/c control , im not sure though
Old 06-19-11, 03:41 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Default Update

A/C controls are in, a little wear and tear but I am going to give it a go, and I went with the Sony XNV-660BT. I didnt have time to contact the stealership for the factory dash kit so I ordered a BKLXSK1315, the color is not a complete match but my interior is black on black so it may not be a big difference. I'll take some pics afterwards.

It has been 100+ here in Austin so I have not done much outside, but I have some progress with the power wire.

Old 06-24-11, 12:52 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Ok, got the right side front done...

Old 06-24-11, 12:58 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Hit a snag and need some help. I was doing a test fit on new unit and discovered the pin out was not the same for old a/c controls and new ones. Did I get the wrong part number? I am attaching pics of old controls and new ones.

Old:

New:
Old 06-27-11, 08:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

nice progress!
Old 06-27-11, 08:45 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

updates on the AC controls?????!?!?
Old 07-17-11, 04:36 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Default update...

Soon after I bought my car, I thought I had ran across a thread that stated that the A/C controls were not compatible from NAV and non-NAV models. Unfortunately because of wishful thinking and some well intentioned but misguided advice I need to go back to my original thoughts. I have no other choice other than to try an install a single DIN under the factory NAV and install the SONY in my fox body Stang.

This morning I finished pulling all my wires to the trunk and removed the factory sub. I have to say I have never seen such a pathetic sub-woofer ever! I guess it was designed to function off the low power that the factory amp provides.

I was also challenged with the narrow openings behind the NAV to pull new wires. With 3 sets of RCAs and two pairs of speaker wires, the bundle of wire was a tight fit through all the gaps to run the wires. It only took several hours in the 100 degree heat but no biggie. One small glich I encountered was unhooking the hood release while running my wires under the steering column. I took a little time but it was allot like the door handle cables, but working blind because of the space issues.

Just a word of advice for those folks thinking about trying to secure your amp to the back the seat in the trunk; there is no solid back. Here a few pics of my wires run though and materials that comprise the trunk wall from inside the cabin.

I chose to mount my amps to my box. After removing the factory sub there was plenty of room to mount one the back and another on the top. It fits very nicely back on the nub out of the way from the storage and spare tire storage. I am sure I will need to find a method for securing the hardware but with its weight it shouldn't be that big of a issue.

Last edited by jefthim; 07-17-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-17-11, 09:10 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's what I had.
Attached Thumbnails 2gs w/Nav System Upgrade-img_0963a.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
yatti (08-22-21)
Old 07-17-11, 09:30 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's what buddy had, but this was halfway done. Never seen the final result.

Last edited by ALeX300; 03-03-12 at 07:47 AM. Reason: pics
The following users liked this post:
yatti (08-22-21)

Quick Reply: 2gs w/Nav System Upgrade