Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Boston Pros or MB Quart QSD's?

Old 09-06-02, 01:57 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boston Pros or MB Quart QSD's?

Im waivering between the Boston Pro series components, or the MB Quart QSD216's. I will be running them F & R in my GS4. Does anyone have any personel experience with either of these. I can pick up the Bostons for less cash, but if it was worth it for the QSD's I would probably go with them.
Old 09-06-02, 11:08 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you had a chance to listen to both? The Bostons will be a bit warmer, but the Quarts, ime, are a bit bright and thin after a while.

If possible, audition both and see which one you like more.

Percy
Old 09-06-02, 01:00 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to decide between these 2 sets of speakers when I was buying components for my car. I heard both of them I thought the boston pros sound so much better. I went with them and I am extremely happy. MB QSD's are excellent comps but I personally prefer my Boston Pros. Make sure you run enough power to them.

Ryan
Old 09-06-02, 02:13 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Thanks for the input fellas.
Percy, I havent heard the Bostons in a car, I have heard them on the display wall, but thats a whole different thing. I have heard the Quartz in person, in a car. They sounded great, but I would have to agree with your assesment, they did sound bright and crisp, almost too bright.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-06-02, 09:17 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Where can I buy Boston's speakers online?
Old 09-07-02, 01:39 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I like the MB Quarts, and the Bostons. I think both have tweeter adjustments in the x-over. If I were to choose, I would say that the Quarts are the better speaker. I used to replace my Boston's all the time because they tended to sound crappy after a year or so. Of course, the shop I worked for did it for free so I had a choice.

MW
Old 09-09-02, 12:15 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Originally posted by Swing913
Where can I buy Boston's speakers online?
I bought mine from www.thezeb.com they have really good deals and excellent customer service. I just looked on their website though and it looks like they don't carry boston acoustics anymore. Ebay is always a good place to find stuff online.
Old 09-11-02, 02:31 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the bostons and I like them a lot.
Very clean speaker. I wish they had a little more bass though.
When your spending over $500 on speakers front and back go with a warranty and by from a real dealer of Boston Ac. I just heard that most online places do not get fact. warr. but I could be wrong and that only applies to some brands. I know JL does not offer war. on online sold stuff.
Old 09-20-02, 12:11 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I'm a big Dynaudio fan myself but the Boston Pro's were my second choice on my last car. Excellent speakers.
Old 09-20-02, 12:18 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I'd pick MBQ's. The QSD set is nothing like their previous models. Bostons lack midbass and the tweet sounds like a tin can. 10 minutes ago I tuned a guys car with P9 combo in it and boston 3-way. So yea...real life expirence here

IMO, QSD's
Old 09-20-02, 10:30 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Quart all the way based simply on the tweeter. The "brightness" that some people don't like can be toned down to personal taste by attenuating the tweeter within the passive X-Over. Then they will sound like the Bostons. The Bostons however, could never be made to sound like the Quarts.

Many competitors have been using Quart mids and highs and placing the Dyne 7" in the door for mid-bass and have been extremely successful. Just a thought.

Todd
Old 09-22-02, 06:23 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Default the reason why mb's are so bright

Well honestly I'm not sure if this data is relevant for the QSD series of speakers.... but for the QM series.

I read on a forum that in order to eliminate the brightness, you need to set the crossover for the tweeters to -6db. The reason why they seem so bright is because these speakers are made to accompany an additional midbass driver which they sell seperately. So 2 midbass drivers to 1 tweeter....

So, if you are only running 1 midbass driver, you need to put the tweeter setting to -6db. When you purchase the speakers it will be set at 0db's which would work perfect with the additional midbass driver....

I don't know if this helps anyone but I thought I would inform everyone of my findings.....

Late
Old 09-24-02, 03:51 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i have heard both.

Bostons I have heard in other peoples car at shows. They sound very clean and crisps but Its hard to ignore the bass the car has and the quality of the headunit it is coming out of. I have never listened to Bostons without a 2 12" subwoofers before so i can't say how they sound without good bass behind the scenes.

MBQ. Well i have a set of 5.14 Components up front and a set of 6.5 components in the Rear. These are the BEST speakers i have heard. I'm not being biased eigther. The X-over has 3 different setting for the tweeters. to break it down to simpler terms its pretty much. low, med, and high, i have both front and rear x-over set to high. I just use my headunit to adjust the treble. I have driven around for days without subwoofer and just using the MBQ's they sound so freaking great. i have this Celione dione CD that i burnt and Her voice just sounds SOO clear that it sounds like she is sitting in the car with you singing.
Old 09-24-02, 12:48 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jmai22,

What speakers have you listened to so far? I used to run MBQ exclusively and have had many sets of their componenents and coaxials. Sold all of them when I first dropped in the Dyns. Completely amazed at their neutrality.

But there are circumstances where the MBQ tweet is actually needed. In my old '96 GP install, the tweeter was probably at close to 80 degrees off axis. The Dyn tweet can't cut it at this steep of an angle so I had to stick with either the MBQ tweet (it's BRIGHT, even at the -6dB setting) or use the Infinity EMIT. Both sounded thin.

MBQ's that I've had so far....
160.03 coax (2 sets)
218.03 components (2 sets)
HX25 tweeters
130.03 coax (the little guys)
150.02 ? (5.25 inch with paper cone - previous generations)

The Quarts sell quite easily on Ebay.

Percy
Old 09-24-02, 12:56 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 6.5 Pros, F&R, and I love them.

I'm not a sound freak like some others here , but they sound great to me.

You can see them and my write up from my stereo page at my site.

HTH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boston Pros or MB Quart QSD's?