Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How to program Keyless entry remote? Please help.

Old 09-03-02, 04:28 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to program Keyless entry remote? Please help.

Hi

I just purchased an extra remote control for my 97 SC (see the pic). Does anyone know how to reprogram the keyless entry system or is it something only the dealers can do?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How to program Keyless entry remote? Please help.-i-1.jpg  
Old 09-03-02, 10:55 AM
kschwenk
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

The chips in the keys match the chip in the receiver it comes in a set about $500.
Old 09-04-02, 12:37 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

that means i won't be able to program my new remote i just bought??

hope this is not the case...
Old 09-04-02, 02:45 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the receiver and the remote are paired. Unless you change the chip in the remote for one programmed for your receiver. Its how they keep someone from programming their remote to your car, unlock it and steal your stuff, and then reprogram it back to theirs afterward.

Last edited by Camshaft; 09-04-02 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-04-02, 01:13 PM
silversc3
Rookie

uh...........

i programmed my remote to my car no problem, all it takes is the master key...

uhm, here's what i have on it...

Registaration of recognition code:

Follow the flow chart on the following page to register the transmitter recognition code with the wireless door lock ECU.

HINT:
- If the prescribed conditions are not enetered while registering the transmitter code, the wireless door lock ECU returns to normal operation.
- There are 4 modes: add mode, rewrite mode, confirmation mode, and erase mode; the mode to use is decided after the recognition code is registered.
- If a maximum of 4 recognition codes can be registered

Reference:
- The add mode is used to retain codes already registered while you register new recognition codes. However, if the number of registered codes exceeds 4 codes, previous registered codes are correspondingly erased in order, starting from the first registered code.
- The rewrite mode is used to erase all previous registered codes before registering new recognition codes. This mode is used when replacing the transmitter or wireless door lock ECU.
- The confirmation mode is for confirming how many recognition codes are already registered before you register additioned recognition codes.
- The erase mode is used to erase all registered modes and cancels the wireless door lock operates. Use this mode when the transmitter is lost.

Here's the actual process, it's complicated and it took me a couple of tries to do it right.

To begin with, the vehicle should be as follows
- The key is not inserted in the ignition key cylinder
- Driver's door is OPEN (other doors are CLOSED)
- Driver's door is UNLOCKED

1. Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder, then remove it.

2. Within 40 seconds: Using the door control switch (for manual operation) move the switch 5 times to LOCK/UNLOCK at approximately 1 second intervals (so in this step, hit the lock button on the driver's door, then the unlock button a second later, and repeat 5 times)

3. Close the driver's door, then open it

4. Repeat step 2, again within 40 seconds

5. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder

6. Turn the ignition switch (the key) from ON to LOCK at approximately 1 second intervals for 1 - 5 times, depending on which mode..

Add mode - 1 time
Rewrite mode - 2 times
Confirmation mode - 3 times
Erase mode - 5 times

7. Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder

8a. If add, rewrite, or erase mode have been selected:

The car should now lock and unlock the door itself, the number of times depending on which mode you selected. The number will be the same number you used to select the mode. So if you chose add, then the car will lock and unlock once, if you chose rewrite, then the car will lock and unlock twice...

8b. The car will lock/unlock itself at 2 second intervals for each set of code programmed into the car.

9. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

10. The wireless door lock ECU automatically performs LOCK-UNLOCK once at a 1 second interval to inform the technician that it has received the signal from the transmitter

11. Close the driver's door, then open it.

12. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

13. The car will LOCK-UNLOCK one or twice at 1 second intervals. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's once, then the it is completed. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's twice, then it has not been completed because the ECU didn't receive the same code from steps 9 and 12 or when selecting add mode, a recognition code indicating registration completed was already received.

In case it lock-unlock's twice, just go back to step 9 and keep trying

Now I know the directions look kinda whack, but it worked for me after a few tries...
Old 09-04-02, 02:24 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

thanks!!!

i also thought reprograming could be done.

by the way what is ECU?
Old 09-19-02, 02:39 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

silversc3, thanks so much.
i just programmed my new remote without a problem!!

this info should be stickified..
thanks again!!
Old 09-19-02, 03:01 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hi guys. I have a '95 sc400 and I know they had keyless entry for that year. When I got the car I only got 2 keys. One is for locking and unlocking the glove box and the truck release. The other key is a plain Lexus key with turns the car on and unlocks the doors and trunk. I wanted to know if I can buy a key with remote and program it? I'm not really sure. I called the dealership and they said liek $300 for a keyless entry key. That seems a little outrageous for a key but I saw a lot on ebay with reomtes for an SC for real cheap. I dont know if this car originally came with key with reomte or not but can I just buy a key and program it or not? Do I have to buy some kinda relay or something. I installed a remote started and keyless entry but I dont like the huge remote for it I like the key remotes like on my moms RX. Thanx
Old 09-19-02, 03:05 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

jimmit. your SC came with the separate remote control (just like the one posted on the first post). you can buy them from ebay and program it. the key with remote control on it style doesn't work on pre-98 SC cars.

also, ES and LS remote controls are not compatible with SC remote although they look the same. make sure it is for SC.
Old 09-19-02, 03:08 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Really? I remember reading somewhere that they changed the remote from an inkey remote to a seperate remote after I think 96 then back to an inkey remote a year or two later. I cant really remember what I read it but if I find it I'll post it. Thanx for the info. I'll get a remote as soon as I can. Will the procedure posted on this thread work for me too?
Old 09-19-02, 08:59 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Actually nevermind. I found the site. Its that production history site with every years changes. I read the thing wrong. It says the keyless remote has an audioable sound and the inkey remote was adopted in 98. Just like you said

Well I guess I'll try and find a remote. I found this one on ebay but I'm not sure if its compatible. Can someone tell me if its right for a 95 SC400. What is a master key? I only have one key that can start the car. Does a master key look different? My moms RX has 2 keys that are with remotes and the gray one is a valet key. I dont have a gray key or anything but will this still work on my SC if I dont have a master key if they had a master key in 95. If someone can help me clarify this it would be great. Thanks

Heres the aution for the keyless remote.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1860532674

I found this one too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1859661042

They all have some kind of ID numbeer or something. So I'm a little comfused about all this. thanks for all the help.

oh one more

This ones going for $10 right now and seem to be in perfect condition. Is it worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1860699727

Last edited by jimmit; 09-19-02 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-20-02, 01:15 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

jimmit. unfortunately those three will NOT work with your SC (these are for the ES and LS cars as far as I know). i will find out what it says on the back of my remote and let you know.

if your key opens the trunk, it is the master key.
Old 09-20-02, 09:57 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

jimmit,

The key displayed in the second ebay link you posted looks like the master key I have with my 95 SC400.
Old 09-20-02, 08:36 PM
Snowman9000
Rookie

Good thread! Lemme ask you guys this...
My 92 SC has the "in-key" remote, not a separate keyless remote thingy. So, can I program the car to get a Lexus or aftermarket keyless remote thingy to work? Or will mine only accept an "in-key" remote?

It would be great to have one keyless thing for my car, my truck, and my wife's van. Like buttons for 1/2/3, to select the vehicle, then the lock/unlock/trunk buttons.
Old 10-12-02, 02:49 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

silversc3,

These instructions were on the money.

Thanks for the great info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to program Keyless entry remote? Please help.