Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Alpine VS Kicker? Please help me decide on a replacment sub amp

Old 03-28-11, 04:15 PM   #1
WhatYaGot
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Question Alpine VS Kicker? Please help me decide on a replacment sub amp

Hi...I have a 06 IS350 and added to the factory system a Alpine PDX-1.600 amp 4080 box with a 12" sub back in 2008. The amp is now dead and have narrowed down the replacment amp between a Kicker 10ZX4001 amp or a Alpine MRP-M500. The speaker to be powered is a Kenwood KFC-W3011. The speaker peak is 1,200w / Max 800w / Rated 400W. It is a 4 ohm speaker. Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

06 IS350: (Original Owner)3M Clear Bra, 20% Tints, Rear Spoiler, 4300K Phillips HID, K&N Typhoon Air-Intake, "Lexus" Caliper Decals, Blue Illuminated "Lexus" Door Sills, OEM Sport Pedals, Tanabe Medalion Exhaust, 4080 box w/ Kenwood 12" pushed by Kicker 500.1 Amp, Vossen VVS085 20X9 235/30/20 front & 20X10.5 275/30/20 rear, JDM Style Side Mirrors w/ LED Turn Signals, Megan Coilovers

05 Toyota 4Runner: (Original Owner) V8 Limited Package
WhatYaGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 04:35 PM   #2
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer
Trader Score: (0)

MarkKorsu

Whichever one is cheaper. Both will provide the power you want to drive your sub.

When it comes to a dedicated sub amp, my personal opinion is that brand matters little if at all. THD ratings are irrelevant since your are only reproducing sub bass/bass frequencies. Even amps with a 10% THD sound "pretty much" the same as those with .1% THD.

That being said, and before I get blasted by other audiophiles, I am basing this on the "general client" that comes to the shop and wants "MAD BASS YO!"

If you are using a ported (or worse - a bandpass) enclosure and are just looking for big bottom end then use whats cheaper.

If you are a sound purist and want the best sound possible out of those two then choose the lower THD @ 4ohms and put your sub in a sealed enclosure.

sig created by GSoup

"I am a carton of Hate and he is a wedge of Spite."
TLN member #17 (and you don't want to know why)
MECP Certified Basic Installer
(Currently studying for the Advanced Exam!!! SHHHH!)
Custom Fabrication & Enclosure Design Instructor
mkorsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 04:35 PM

Tags
18, 250, alpine, amp, bandpass, dedicated, inch, kenwood, kicker, lexus, m500, mrp, mrpm500, polk, sr124, subs