Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

So im putting my 13.5" w7 in my SC....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 11:39 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So im putting my 13.5" w7 in my SC....

I'm ab to have my w7 put in my SC but had a couple of questions before i did...

When doing this, should I have my battery relocated to the trunk? should I upgrade my alternator? the guy who is doing the install said I dont need to, but I thought I did.

Is there anything that should be upgraded to hold 1000+ watts? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 03-10-11, 06:52 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The sub does not determine whether or not you need to perform those upgrades, the amp does. How many amps of power will your amplifier draw? You give 1,000 watts as the power output but a class AB amp draws more power than an efficient class D amp.

But if it is an average 1,000w amp, all you probably need is a Big 3 upgrade.

Completely off topic - Why did you choose your sub? I know that the W7 is a great sub but it is priced as a premium product. There are other great subs that are much less.
Old 03-22-11, 09:47 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

bigger gauge wiring is needed from the battery.
Old 03-23-11, 11:14 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Originally Posted by Robert_J
The sub does not determine whether or not you need to perform those upgrades, the amp does. How many amps of power will your amplifier draw? You give 1,000 watts as the power output but a class AB amp draws more power than an efficient class D amp.

But if it is an average 1,000w amp, all you probably need is a Big 3 upgrade.

Completely off topic - Why did you choose your sub? I know that the W7 is a great sub but it is priced as a premium product. There are other great subs that are much less.
I will be using the JL Audio v1000 amp. What is the big 3 upgrade..i forget

and i choose the w7 because i paid $300-$350 for it about 3 years ago and figured i'd use it since i still had it.
Old 03-23-11, 11:17 PM
StuntKing
Driver

also...is an optima battery a good enough upgrade to my stock one for my setup? I was at my local speaker shop and they were trying to sell my some battery that costs $450!. Is that really necessary?
Old 03-24-11, 07:03 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you are adding is 1 JL 1000/1 then leave the battery under the hood, use at least 2 AWG wiring (preferrably 1/0 AWG), your alternator should do ok.

What is the impedance of the voice coils. The 1000/1 will output 1000w RMS regardless of the load placed on it. Run your voice coils in series for the highest load possible to reduce the current draw on your charging system. I'm not an amplifier internals expert but I believe the 1000/1 uses increased voltage to increase the amplitude of the AC voltage signal to compensate for the lower current draw due to increased load ratings in order to have the "same" output regardless of what the resistance of the load is.
Old 03-24-11, 06:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by mkorsu
If all you are adding is 1 JL 1000/1 then leave the battery under the hood, use at least 2 AWG wiring (preferrably 1/0 AWG), your alternator should do ok.
For the upgrade, yes. The amp itself is designed to use 4 ga on the input per JL.

I'm not an amplifier internals expert but I believe the 1000/1 uses increased voltage to increase the amplitude of the AC voltage signal to compensate for the lower current draw due to increased load ratings in order to have the "same" output regardless of what the resistance of the load is.
This is true - 'til it hits the 4 ohm mark. Once you go above 4 ohms, it simply delivers less power into the load, halving it @ 8 ohms, and each subsequent doubling of the ohm load. It only stabilizes the output wattage below 4 ohms to minimize the current draw and must stay above 1.5 ohms. Good 'splaination, though.

Big Mack
Old 03-24-11, 10:56 PM
StuntKing
Driver

what about the battery? will an optima be good enough? how long will it last? I know optima is a good battery but my local speaker shop told me there not as good as ppl say they are...tried to sell me a $500 battery
Old 03-25-11, 08:00 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
For the upgrade, yes. The amp itself is designed to use 4 ga on the input per JL.

This is true - 'til it hits the 4 ohm mark. Once you go above 4 ohms, it simply delivers less power into the load, halving it @ 8 ohms, and each subsequent doubling of the ohm load. It only stabilizes the output wattage below 4 ohms to minimize the current draw and must stay above 1.5 ohms. Good 'splaination, though.

Big Mack
Gotcha. Did not know that part about an 8 ohm load and higher. Thanks for the info Mack!!!
Old 03-25-11, 08:31 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by StuntKing
what about the battery? will an optima be good enough? how long will it last? I know optima is a good battery but my local speaker shop told me there not as good as ppl say they are...tried to sell me a $500 battery
Is your current battery malfunctioning? If not, then don't fix a problem you don't have. Install the system and determine if the car is keeping up at that point, not the other way around. Your listening habits may not yield a need to upgrade the battery. I doubt it, but hey, it could happen.

And Optimas are good, but they are typically pretty pricey. There are a lot of choices out there, and $500 is way, way more than you need to spend for a high quality battery. Anything more than $300 is really pushing it, and even that is a bit high.

Gotcha. Did not know that part about an 8 ohm load and higher. Thanks for the info Mack!!!
No problem, mang. I might have used them a time or three.

Big Mack