Sponsored by:

Speaker Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 09:36 AM
thejace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Install questions

Im getting ready to order speakers to follow zgone's speaker install thread, and I had a few questions. Im totally clueless about speaker electronics so any help would be appreciated.

I bought a 6x9 to 6 1/2 adapter on ebay, that way I dont have to order the crazy expensive dc golds drop in speakers.

Im lookin on partsexpress, whats the difference between subwoofers, woofers, and pro speakers? Which ones will I want for each? From what I understand(which isnt very much) and seen other people post, I would need 2 woofers for the front. 2 Woofers on the rear sides, and 1 new subwoofer in the back?

Do I have to order 8 ohm speakers if Im planning on changing out the 2 front speakers, 2 back speakers, subwoofer, and the amp? Or would it be advisable to just change to a different ohm?

If possible, Id like to not worry about rewiring as I have no clue. As another option is it possible to just order 5 8 ohm speakers, and use the existing ML amp? Or would that be a bad idea?

That thread hasnt given any suggestions what to use for the back 3 speakers, can anyone tell me exactly what to buy that isnt too expensive?

Thanks all the help
Old 02-20-11, 07:39 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

I just replaced the front woofers, went 6x9 to a 6.5 kicker, 4ohm, with the stock amp, didnt change the back speakers because they're like a 5" in the SC, also changed the subwoofer with an 8" kicker, and ran a Line out Converter from the stock audio signal to a Kicker Amp to power the subwoofer. I talked to my car audio guy and he said I would be fine running 2 4ohm speakers on an 8ohm amp, it will actually give the speakers more power, but the ML should be able to handle it (fingers crossed. no problems for the past 3 months) your going to have a rough time finding 8 ohm speakers, there just arent that many options, but if you want you can and it will be a more direct swap.
Old 02-21-11, 07:33 AM
thejace
Rookie

Im a newbie, so what did you mean by kicker? Is that the prospeakers or woofers?

For the sub, what ohm did you use? I according to zgone's thread, it looks like its a 16ohm?

Now im really confused with your next line, since i have no idea what kicker means. I thought the sub would be able to be dropped in? You still needed to rewire?

And I thought 8ohm speakers were common in home audio? Is it all interchangable or should I be watching out for something?
Old 02-21-11, 09:02 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thejace
Im a newbie, so what did you mean by kicker? Is that the prospeakers or woofers?

For the sub, what ohm did you use? I according to zgone's thread, it looks like its a 16ohm?

Now im really confused with your next line, since i have no idea what kicker means. I thought the sub would be able to be dropped in? You still needed to rewire?

And I thought 8ohm speakers were common in home audio? Is it all interchangable or should I be watching out for something?
Kicker is a brand owned by Stillwater Designs.

Ohms refers to the impedance, or resistance, of the speaker. 4 ohm speakers are common for car audio and 8 ohm is common in home audio.

Subwoofers are speakers designed to play low frequency sounds (low bass). Woofer is a term covering any larger sized speaker that is not a tweeter. Woofer can be "sub", "midbass" (higher bass frequencies), or "midrange" (vocals, etc). Tweeters cover all the high frequencies.

I'm unsure offhand on the abilities of the ML amp. I don't know if it is stable with a 4ohm load. Check the forum more on that and I'll look into it as well.
Old 02-21-11, 09:59 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Yes Kicker is a brand, sorry, For my subwoofer, I used a 2ohm woofer, and rewired it so its connected to its own amp. If you are going to do a direct swap subwoofer you would need to get a 16ohm woofer which could be done, I just wanted more power. The only thing you'll need to watch out for is depth of the speakers and subwoofer.
Old 02-21-11, 11:03 AM
thejace
Rookie

Oh alright thanks. If possible, Id like to not have to rewire anything.

You wouldnt have the links to your speakers would you? Im trying to figure out what speakers will work since there are so many stats in the speakers. Am I only concerned with "mounting depth"? Some of the speakers im looking at dont even mention it either...
Old 02-21-11, 05:37 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

If you want to buy something good and not regret it, dont buy anything that Best Buy carries. Crutchfield is also weak unless you pay the preimeum. Best would be goto caraudioclassifieds and look for used gear. You will know its good if people are trying to offer trades or say interested.

If I could buy speakers again, I would go with rainbow 3 way or RE XXX comps
And sub now is a D2 ohm custom DIYMA sub built by PSI, ID MAX is a good sub for you, sundown and DC are very good brands for subs

just make sure not to buy crap like sony, kicker, infinity, alpine, JL even, pioneer, etc
Old 02-22-11, 05:25 AM
thejace
Rookie

Yeah, I cant seem to find any 16 ohm 8 inch sub anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 02-22-11, 06:46 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Yeah, I cant seem to find any 16 ohm 8 inch sub anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion?
Doubtful you'll find any aftermarket 16ohm subs. Look instead for a dual voice coil 8ohm speaker
Old 02-22-11, 10:00 AM
thejace
Rookie

Is that the same thing?
Old 02-22-11, 10:15 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... simple wiring to make it 16 ohm if you want.
Old 02-22-11, 10:31 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Is that the same thing?
It is if you wire the voice coils in series.
Old 02-22-11, 02:59 PM
thejace
Rookie

Does anyone have a link with instructions with how to do all of that and which one I should order? Im a complete newbie with car audio so as much instructions as possible would be good.

I just looked for a 8ohm dual voice 8in sub and I cant seem to find any at all... Why did lexus make it so difficult to get anything that matches to what they are putting in cars...

Last edited by thejace; 02-22-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 07:17 PM
thejace
Rookie

I read somewhere that almost all new modern speakrs are dual voice coil. Is this one?

http://www.caraudiocraze.com/prod_1405.html
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../ref=de_a_smtd
Old 02-22-11, 07:37 PM
swong46
Driver School Candidate

http://ddaudio.com/caraudio/Woofers/Default.aspx

You want 8 in sub to fit in factory location or? Get a 10 or 12 unless you want to spend a lot of time designing a very good ported box with an 8in

Digital Design's 8in is pretty good

Quick Reply: Speaker Install questions