Redesign sound system in Lexus rx 400h

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 04:27 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chitownduc
Even if I were to add the JBL MS-8 sound processor to the mix, I would still not be able to bypass the oem amp which I believe will degradate the final sound. This was not anticipated.
Degrade.

The MS-8 is an integrated processor and LOC, so it will take the signal from the OEM amp, sum it, process it, and output it to your aftermarket gear. It's not going to improve the signal, since any change in signal (digital to analog to digital to analog) is going to affect it. It will, however, eliminate the need for any additional conversions.

Originally Posted by chitownduc
Q: Considering I was opting to keep the oem dash look and full system functionality (e.g. integrated steering wheel buttons), is it reasonable to think that the ms-8 can still output a superior sound opposed to adding a quality (sound) aftermarket head unit?
In a word, no. The MS-8 will only process what it receives, it doesn't magically introduce (or reintroduce) missing information. A quality aftermarket unit will run circles around the factory system if properly equipped, which it sounds like you would do, especially after two conversions (D/A, A/D).

I suggest getting the MS-8, eliminate the extra LOC's that you diagrammed since they will only do part of the job, and commence the build. I didn't really read this before, just skimmed through it, and did not see no one told you the OEM product wouldn't just be able to be bypassed. All of the new systems, IIRC, are CAN-BUS, meaning digital all the way to the amp, and no one makes a processor (yet) that will interrupt it and eliminate the factory DSP/amp. That's a very important distinction - it is not just an amplifier, it is a DSP first and an amp second. This is where the problem is when adding aftermarket gear, too.

Big Mack
Old 02-03-11, 05:58 PM
petterf
Rookie

Going with Beatsonics MVA-82R kit you will not lose OEM navigation and extra wiring should be minimal. At least from HU.
You will also be able to use the factory amp and all you need would then be a new amp which handle speaker outputs on input or a box in between factory and new amp.
Or simply remove the factory amp and add the one of your liking.
At least according to beatsonics web.

For steering wheel controls I've found that Alpine Japan have a unit called KTX-Y301R which should work on Toyota Harrier and Alpine units. It's only $50-60 but I have no idea if it will work with the Alpine units for US/Europe.

Originally Posted by veleno
I can only think of a couple downsides to adding an aftermarket HU.

1. Loss of steering wheel controls
2. Non flowing look of HU
3. Extra wiring
4. Loss of OEM navigation (you may get this back with an aftermarket HU but not all are all in one, some need extra pieces)

However, there are some HU's that I've heard of that have modules that allow you to keep your steering wheel controls functional with the new HU, I'm just not sure which specific models those are and/or work with.

I just saw a BNIB MS-8 selling for $500. I'm not sure what price you were looking at for it but that's about as cheap as you're going to find BNIB. I have seen some sell for a little less (maybe $450) but still in great condition. Again, if you find that the MS-8 is not working for you you can sell it for almost what you got it for (considering you purchased it at my prices above), then you can go the other route. In the end you at least tried almost all possible options and found which works best to you, which is what it's about.

Last edited by petterf; 02-03-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 08:26 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by petterf
Going with Beatsonics MVA-82R kit you will not lose OEM navigation and extra wiring should be minimal. At least from HU.
You will also be able to use the factory amp and all you need would then be a new amp which handle speaker outputs on input or a box in between factory and new amp.
Or simply remove the factory amp and add the one of your liking.
At least according to beatsonics web.

For steering wheel controls I've found that Alpine Japan have a unit called KTX-Y301R which should work on Toyota Harrier and Alpine units. It's only $50-60 but I have no idea if it will work with the Alpine units for US/Europe.
The MS-8 doesn't cause him to lose ANY functionality of his OEM unit, he retains all factory steering wheel controls, and he adds DSP and a Logic 7 decoder. That offering from Beatsonics does none of the above, save not losing his OEM controls. Can't see how spending $400 on that is better.

Get the MS-8.

Big Mack
Old 02-04-11, 05:31 PM
petterf
Rookie

The MS-8 is a sweet thing indeed and with a price and performance as well as time to install surpassing a lot of other solutions.

It would fit my ideas as way but as I would like a package with some added options, changing the HU is my only chance. For example I want better working BT handsfree with our iphones, both iphone and USB audio/video playback. Alpine also have a really sweet feature with the DAC in the HU and using it for iphone/ipod playback instead of analog as most others do it.
Old 02-14-11, 11:35 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tod071
I have an 06 RXh and replaced my ML system with the following:

Alpine W505 w/ jdm double din bracket (Toyota)
I had a question. On your ML system. How did you keep the OEM controls when using the Beatsonic kit? I lost Navigation and all other controls. And just had the " Check Connection " on the Touch Screen.
Old 03-07-11, 12:15 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
I had a question. On your ML system. How did you keep the OEM controls when using the Beatsonic kit? I lost Navigation and all other controls. And just had the " Check Connection " on the Touch Screen.
I don't have a Beatsonic kit. I have the JDM bracket. Everything else was done at a local stereo shop. I believe the steering controls was either a PAC or Alpine product.

Just upgraded my 6x9 fronts to Rainbow Audio 6.5" components and added an Image Dynamics amp.