Mark Levinson does not play DVD-Audio discs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 06:25 AM
alk3997
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sporla3
thanks to all
I stopped paying attention to the DVD-A issue till today. I turned off the auto play and the discs that didn't play (or played a few seconds to be exact) now play. And, I was curious about the surround setting and turned it off and noticed much better separation. I still have much more separation and quality on my home stereo but I can definitely live with the ML now. I only wished they would start making more DVD-Audio discs.
Unfortunately, the factory setting for both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs is "On". So, anyone who has a ML unit should change both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio Auto Play settings to "Off".

I still would like to know if anyone's disc no longer Auto Plays even with Auto Play "off"? On the vehicles we tested, the Auto Play option really didn't do anything (except prevent the playing of 1/3 of the discs, of course) since discs started automatically anyway.
Old 02-16-11, 06:15 PM
mangialo
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Car Owner of the Year

Originally Posted by ROBRX31
While parked go to DVD settings--change the auto play to off if it is on or on if it is off--Unfortunately no one setting works for all DVD, so you have to switch back and forth.
I think we should nominate ROBRX31 as "Lexus Car Owner of the Year" for discovering the solution to the non-playing of DVD-Audio discs. I think of all of us who have gone back and forth with Lexus and their Lexus dealerships to solve the DVD-Audio problem and those of us who bought a plug-and-play workaround (at a cost of $570 in my case) to be able to play DVD-Audio discs when the car is in motion and, those of us who simply gave up. Lexus should give him a large cash bonus!

Thanks again, ROBRX31!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-11, 12:27 PM
mangialo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alk3997
Unfortunately, the factory setting for both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs is "On". So, anyone who has a ML unit should change both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio Auto Play settings to "Off".

I still would like to know if anyone's disc no longer Auto Plays even with Auto Play "off"? On the vehicles we tested, the Auto Play option really didn't do anything (except prevent the playing of 1/3 of the discs, of course) since discs started automatically anyway.
I did not notice any difference,...my DVD-A discs still play automatically.
Old 02-18-11, 06:20 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my question is little different, I would like the high quality 5.1 sound, but thats not what i'm asking about. I have 2006 GS430 ML system which doesnt play mp3 or wma. can i burn any music format (other than dvd-a) that will work. having 6 cd/dvd changer isnt enough music for me. i'm used to burning mp3 formats on regular cd. i'm wondering how i can expand my music library for my car w/o continuously changing cd's.
Old 02-18-11, 08:59 PM
mangialo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
my question is little different, I would like the high quality 5.1 sound, but thats not what i'm asking about. I have 2006 GS430 ML system which doesnt play mp3 or wma. can i burn any music format (other than dvd-a) that will work. having 6 cd/dvd changer isnt enough music for me. i'm used to burning mp3 formats on regular cd. i'm wondering how i can expand my music library for my car w/o continuously changing cd's.
I would burn a music DVD. You can fit a number of regular CDs onto one DVD disc. I did this by artist which helped with not having to change discs so often.
Old 02-21-11, 07:05 AM
alk3997
Driver School Candidate

In Sony Vegas Pro there is a program called DVD Architect Pro. DVD Architect Pro has an option for DVD called "compilations". By selecting Dolby Digital 2.0 as the audio format for the compilation, you would end up with stereo output and have the ability to put approximately 850 minutes of music on a single DVD disc.

A few notes:

1) Sony Vegas Pro is a bit pricey. However, Sony has a consumer version that you can find in many stores that is less than $100. However, you should double-check before purchase that it has DVD Architect and that the version on it support compilations. I don't know - I only use the Pro version.

2) Not all DVD player will read the compilation. This is because the compilation only puts a single frame of video on the disc per song. The player has to be "smart enough" to keep the single frame displayed. Most are but there are a few that get confused.

3) Sound quality won't be great but will be better than some of the MP3s I've been forced to listen to.

Andy
Old 12-04-12, 10:12 AM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone. I'm new here and am considering special ordering an RX 350 with ML. I have been an Acura devotee because I love being able to play DVD-Audio discs on the 5.1 ELS Surround system.

After MASSIVE amounts of research, I can definitely state that ML does NOT support DVD-A discs. It supports playing back the audio from standard DVDs. Any of you who have purchased a DVD-A disc and played it back in the ML system are not hearing the superior high-resolution sound that a DVD-Audio offers. Rather, what you are hearing is the compressed Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 layer that has been added to the disc to make it compatible with standard DVD players.

While it's nice to hear the surround mix with either of those layers, they are COMPRESSED. The sound quality doesn't compare to the actual 24/96 or 24/192 high-res layer that the true DVD-A format offers. I have tried several DVD-A discs in several different Lexus models, and in EVERY case, it is impossible to select the hi-res (called MLP or Meridian Lossless Packing) layer. The only option is the Dolby Digital or DTS layer, which again, does offer the surround mix, but NOT amazing, hi-resolution DVD-Audio.

I am quite disappointed, as I was hoping Acura was not the only manufacturer that offered DVD-A 5.1 surround, but unfortunately, they are. Infiniti, Cadillac, Mercedes are all the same as Lexus: they offer the Audio from a DVD, but not the "DVD-Audio" format. Confusing, but I finally got to the bottom of it.
Old 12-04-12, 10:56 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leefarber
After MASSIVE amounts of research, I can definitely state that ML does NOT support DVD-A discs. It supports playing back the audio from standard DVDs...

I am quite disappointed, as I was hoping Acura was not the only manufacturer that offered DVD-A 5.1 surround, but unfortunately, they are. Infiniti, Cadillac, Mercedes are all the same as Lexus: they offer the Audio from a DVD, but not the "DVD-Audio" format. Confusing, but I finally got to the bottom of it.
I'm not sure what comprised your research, but you may want to take another look. The head unit in my 2009 ML system most definitely reads DVD-A. I can say this with certainty, as I spent a lot of time trying to determine what appeared to be a defect in my ML system. Certain commercially released DVD-As wouldn't play the rear channels, among other anomalies. I finally discovered that to meet a design price-point, the processor/amp in my ES downmixed high-res 5.1 to stereo. However, with the 2010 model year, incremental technology improvements finally allowed the ML system to gain that functionality.

I determined this by creating a test DVD-A (no DD, no DTS), and auditioned it on my ML system as well as that of the 2010 models that were in the showrooms at the time. It contained a track for each of the six channels where only one individual channel was active. All ML head units I tried were able to read the disc. While my system downmixed the 5.1 to stereo, the 2010 units correctly played each discrete channel.

In fact, I recall the 2010 LX ML I auditioned actually sounded pretty sweet.
Old 12-04-12, 11:25 AM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible that thing have changed since then? I tried 5 different DVD-A titles in both the RX and GS. In every case, it was impossible to select anything other than the Dolby Digital or DTS layer. The only disc that wouldn't play was a DVD-A that I created on DiscWelder Bronze that consisted solely of 24/28 music files, which is registered as "DVD-A" on my Acura ELS system. The ML in both Lexuses read "No Music Files Found".

Is there a way to change which layer or group is being read from the disc? There's certainly the possibility I was doing something wrong, and I hope I was, as hi-res surround is very important to me, but I would love to jump ship from Acura (their latest vehicles are uninspiring) and get into a Lexus.
Old 12-04-12, 05:39 PM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else have definitive experience playing actual DVD-A's in their ML system? I really want to pull the trigger on this, but figuring this out is important to me.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-12, 07:34 AM
bobsobi
Driver

I don't have any personal experience with ML systems later than the 2010s. Chances are dealership employees will be unable to address this question for you, based on what I saw from salespeople and technicians (including a "master" tech and a regional rep) at two local dealers. I would think it highly unlikely that Lexus would remove this feature; their current description of the ML option still lists DVD-audio as a supported format.

I managed to track down a Harman Becker employee who was able to fill me in on the technical details (HB manufactures the ML processor/amp), but unfortunately that was almost three years ago, and I no longer have his contact info. This may be another avenue for you to pursue.

What are the DVD-A titles you're using? If I have any of them, I can try mine to see if I can offer any other assistance. I don't play my DVD-As in my ML; I've ripped them and created equalized DTS-CDs which afford me 5.1 sound while also circumventing the screen-lockout issue with DVDs that don't autoplay.
Old 12-05-12, 09:47 PM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

The DVD-A's I tried were:

Steely Dan GAUCHO
Toy Matinee S/T
Porcupine Tree THE INCIDENT
King Crimson LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC

All of them played the DD layer, not the hi-res MLP layer. Using the onscreen display, I had no way of selecting anything but the DD or DTS layer.

Was there any way of telling that you were reading the hi-res layer other than looking at the onscreen display? The Acura ELS unit actually displays "DVD-A" or "DTS". Is there another way of changing layers or groups other than with the onscreen display?

Thanks again.
Old 12-05-12, 09:57 PM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

Also, I should note that the online owner's manual does not mention DVD-A as an accepted format, and specifically lists it as a type of disc that "may not" play.

I'm so confused!!!
Old 12-06-12, 06:16 AM
bobsobi
Driver

I have Gaucho and Toy Matinee, and I can select and play both the 5.1 and stereo LPCM tracks on both discs.

I perused the online manuals; from 2009 (my model year) to 2013, they all contain the exact same text regarding audio on DVDs:

"Audio: This DVD player can play liner PCM, Dolby Digital and MPEG audio format DVDs. Other decoded types cannot be played."

Apparently no one at Lexus has deemed it important to correct the typo here -- "liner" is obviously supposed to be "linear". But at least that would indicate the head unit can handle DVD-A.

However, one difference I noticed from the 2012 to the 2013 manual is there is no screen shot in the 2013 version that explicitly shows any DVD-audio options (or mention of Mark Levinson, for that matter). If your difficulties are with the 2013 models, is looks like it's possible that Lexus has screwed the pooch here as far as DVD-A compatibility is concerned!
Old 12-06-12, 07:16 AM
leefarber
Driver School Candidate

Interesting! Maybe i'll run to the dealership and see if they have a 2012 model I can look at.

By the way, how are you selecting the various LPCM formats? Through the onscreen display? If so, does that mean the car has to be parked in order to begin playing a disc?

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson does not play DVD-Audio discs