Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 05:52 PM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume setting greyed out in iPod out mode

Batman75,

In your video review, you talk about the Source Settings screen where you can change various settings such as Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc. One of the adjustable settings on that submenu is Volume. Because the regular radio volume is quite a bit louder than the default volume of the iPod out and iPod video out, you pointed out that
the Volume control settings of that ML+ submenu can be used to increase the volume of both iPod out and iPod video out to equalize it to match the "loudness" of the radio settings, so that when you cycled through the media modes (AM, FM1, FM2, CD2/MP3 emulation)--they would all have the same volume. Otherwise, if you used the radio's volume control **** to raise the iPod out and iPod video out volumes to a loud level, when you next cycled through to the radio modes (FM, AM)--the volume on those modes would about blast your ears off. Like you indicated, in iPod video out mode, I was able to increase the Volume in the Source Settings submenu to +9, to where it closely matches the loudness of the radio. But here's the rub: that same Volume setting is greyed out, to where i can neither increase or decrease it when I'm in iPod out mode. Can you check your iPod out, and verify that you can indeed increase the volume from there?
Old 12-26-10, 09:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLaPan
Batman75,

In your video review, you talk about the Source Settings screen where you can change various settings such as Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc. One of the adjustable settings on that submenu is Volume. Because the regular radio volume is quite a bit louder than the default volume of the iPod out and iPod video out, you pointed out that
the Volume control settings of that ML+ submenu can be used to increase the volume of both iPod out and iPod video out to equalize it to match the "loudness" of the radio settings, so that when you cycled through the media modes (AM, FM1, FM2, CD2/MP3 emulation)--they would all have the same volume. Otherwise, if you used the radio's volume control **** to raise the iPod out and iPod video out volumes to a loud level, when you next cycled through to the radio modes (FM, AM)--the volume on those modes would about blast your ears off. Like you indicated, in iPod video out mode, I was able to increase the Volume in the Source Settings submenu to +9, to where it closely matches the loudness of the radio. But here's the rub: that same Volume setting is greyed out, to where i can neither increase or decrease it when I'm in iPod out mode. Can you check your iPod out, and verify that you can indeed increase the volume from there?
This is interesting. The audio level adjustment is grayed out on my unit also when in iPod out mode. See below.

But on my system when I am using iPod out, the default volume level is louder than on my sat radio and cd player at the same amp volume level. That's the opposite of your default setting.

I wonder if it is grayed out because the default volume is set by the ipod itself. Try setting your ipod to max volume and re-connecting it.

I will also check with Vaistech on this.
Old 12-26-10, 11:48 PM
imazn
Driver School Candidate

do you mean we need to get the apple composite cable or apple component cable?
Old 12-27-10, 12:08 AM
LLaPan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by batman75
This is interesting. The audio level adjustment is grayed out on my unit also when in iPod out mode. But on my system when I am using iPod out, the default volume level is louder than on my sat radio and cd player at the same amp volume level. That's the opposite of your default setting. I wonder if it is grayed out because the default volume is set by the ipod itself. Try setting your ipod to max volume and re-connecting it. I will also check with Vaistech on this.
I had already tried adjusting the iPhone's iPod volume. It was already at maximum volume (and my music level through iPod out is indeed quite a bit lower than the native radio volume). Then, I tried setting the iPhone's iPod volume level at mid-range (disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone to apply the new setting to the ML+ system), to see if that would "un-grey" ML+'s iPod out volume setting. Still greyed-out. One thing that DID help quite a bit with the loudness in general, both when I played music straight from my iPhone's iPod, and when I played music through the ML+ iPod interface, was turning my iPhone's iPod settings (via Settings / iPod / Sound Check) to "OFF". After applying this partial fix, I again disconnected / reconnected my iPhone, then checked to see if iPod out Volume was still greyed out. It was. At least, with Sound Check off on my iPhone, the volume level of iPod out is closer to radio volume level. I currently have my ML+ iPod video out volume set to +9, so now when I cycle through radio, iPod out, iPod video out, they are all much closer in volume. Another setting I experimented with on my iPhone's iPod (via Settings / iPod) is the EQ (equalizer) setting (I tried Rock, Acoustic; finally left it set to "OFF"). No EQ changes had any effect whatsoever on the volume level of my iPod out via the ML+ system. FYI, in case you are wondering, on my iPhone's Settings / iPod screen, I have the Volume Limit set to "OFF"; I didn't make any change to this setting at any time in the experimentation process.)

I wonder if the reason YOUR iPod out sounds much louder than mine is because you have a Mark Levinson stereo system, which benefits much more from the ML+'s digital sound setup than my non-Mark Levinson stereo?*

I certainly appreciate your offer to check with Vaistech to see what's going on with the greyed out Volume setting. It is especially puzzling because the rest of the buttons on that submenu work perfectly, as designed. It's a mystery!

Last edited by LLaPan; 12-27-10 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 07:09 AM
NAK
Rookie

Originally Posted by LLaPan
I had already tried adjusting the iPhone's iPod volume. It was already at maximum volume (and my music level through iPod out is indeed quite a bit lower than the native radio volume). Then, I tried setting the iPhone's iPod volume level at mid-range (disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone to apply the new setting to the ML+ system), to see if that would "un-grey" ML+'s iPod out volume setting. Still greyed-out. One thing that DID help quite a bit with the loudness in general, both when I played music straight from my iPhone's iPod, and when I played music through the ML+ iPod interface, was turning my iPhone's iPod settings (via Settings / iPod / Sound Check) to "OFF". After applying this partial fix, I again disconnected / reconnected my iPhone, then checked to see if iPod out Volume was still greyed out. It was. At least, with Sound Check off on my iPhone, the volume level of iPod out is closer to radio volume level. I currently have my ML+ iPod video out volume set to +9, so now when I cycle through radio, iPod out, iPod video out, they are all much closer in volume. Another setting I experimented with on my iPhone's iPod (via Settings / iPod) is the EQ (equalizer) setting (I tried Rock, Acoustic; finally left it set to "OFF"). No EQ changes had any effect whatsoever on the volume level of my iPod out via the ML+ system. FYI, in case you are wondering, on my iPhone's Settings / iPod screen, I have the Volume Limit set to "OFF"; I didn't make any change to this setting at any time in the experimentation process.)

I wonder if the reason YOUR iPod out sounds much louder than mine is because you have a Mark Levinson stereo system, which benefits much more from the ML+'s digital sound setup than my non-Mark Levinson stereo?*

I certainly appreciate your offer to check with Vaistech to see what's going on with the greyed out Volume setting. It is especially puzzling because the rest of the buttons on that submenu work perfectly, as designed. It's a mystery!

1. iPhone/iPod volume has nothing to do with "line out" or "USB Audio" outputs. It is only works for your headphones or bluetooth audio.

2. Do not compare volume of AM radio to other sources. It is always louder than other sources on most Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

3. I do not recommend you to use "Sound Check" functionality (turn it OFF and keep it this way) on your iPod/iPhone, unless you want to get additional distortions. This technology same as ASL. Dynamic volume adjustment can not give you quality sound. Same thing about EQ. EQ settings on your iPod/iPhone designed for your headphones, not for Lexus or Toyota amplifier. They have own EQ controls...

4. "iPod Out" on ML+ is digital output, and NOT analog. First play with "Volume Adjustment" in your iTune or if you are using USB Flash playback use MP3 gain adjustment software (read VML/ML+ manual). Most digital files have own volume/gain settings. This is a only correct way to make your "volume setting" right!

5. You can not compare two audio sources, unless you are playing exactly same song (same volume, same digital gain settings, and etc.).

Last edited by NAK; 12-27-10 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 07:39 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by imazn
Apple Component AV Cable. Just like pictured on page 1.
Old 12-27-10, 08:00 AM
Esquire08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
it will go back to the normal vml setup display
Any clue if the SL2iC is the same (meaning it resorts to emulation mode) if a non-iOS4 iPod is plugged in?

I really want the BT/NAV unlock function from the SL2iC. The ML+ is great for what it is if you want USB access, but I'm not really concerned with extreme fidelity (lossless MP3s played via digital interface) in a car. Cars are horrible for sound-staging to begin with, and the difference is marginal. If the SL2iC will play non-iOS4 iPods, then I will pick up the SL2iC so that I am future-proofed against an upgraded iPod w/ iOS4.
Old 12-27-10, 08:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Esquire08
Any clue if the SL2iC is the same (meaning it resorts to emulation mode) if a non-iOS4 iPod is plugged in?

I really want the BT/NAV unlock function from the SL2iC. The ML+ is great for what it is if you want USB access, but I'm not really concerned with extreme fidelity (lossless MP3s played via digital interface) in a car. Cars are horrible for sound-staging to begin with, and the difference is marginal. If the SL2iC will play non-iOS4 iPods, then I will pick up the SL2iC so that I am future-proofed against an upgraded iPod w/ iOS4.
You have to ask rominl this question since I don't have Sl2ic.

Regarding the sound fidelity, I am not an audiophile. My home stereo consists of a Sony ES amp with Bose 901s front and 301s rear.

But the difference vs. the analog SL2i-UP on a Mark Levinson system is black and white.
Old 12-27-10, 09:51 AM
Esquire08
Driver School Candidate

You have to ask rominl this question since I don't have Sl2ic.

Regarding the sound fidelity, I am not an audiophile. My home stereo consists of a Sony ES amp with Bose 901s front and 301s rear.

But the difference vs. the analog SL2i-UP on a Mark Levinson system is black and white.
I know, I have read up on your views of the systems and your opinions of the fidelity for analog and digital interfaces. I fancy myself somewhat of an audiophile, and if the SL2iC is an improvement over the AUX-IN on the IS350, that is fine enough because I know the limitations of car audio and I'm not going to spend huge amounts of money attempting to create a studio on wheels (already did that in my former IS300); maybe my IS350--being non ML--simply does not highlight the shortcomings of analog v. digital.
Old 12-27-10, 11:32 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

maybe my IS350--being non ML--simply does not highlight the shortcomings of analog v. digital.
I suspect this is the case. In our ES350 which is also non-ML, I also don't see much difference between listening to a CD and listening to the SL2i-UP. I've only noticed a substantial difference in the GS460.
Old 12-27-10, 01:06 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

This is interesting. The audio level adjustment is grayed out on my unit also when in iPod out mode. See below.

But on my system when I am using iPod out, the default volume level is louder than on my sat radio and cd player at the same amp volume level. That's the opposite of your default setting.

I wonder if it is grayed out because the default volume is set by the ipod itself. Try setting your ipod to max volume and re-connecting it.

I will also check with Vaistech on this.
We have intentionally disabled Audio Level adjustment for iPod Out portion. We have done it purposely. If we make it available for adjusting, then there is a high risk of higher distortion when you adjust the level. There are three possible points for adjustment of the sound level, actual file, adjustment on the ML Plus, and car amplifier. So if your file level is set way too high and ML Plus sound level adjustment is available, then you attempts to adjust the level will cause a high distortion level. So we have limited this functionality to file adjustment only. Which is done through iTunes if you like, this way ML Plus or car amplifier aren't involved in setting the sound level, but you do it yourself. Sound level between amplifier and ML Plus are set to the most optimized level by our engineers.
Old 12-27-10, 07:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by imazn
you need the component cable as mentioned by batman

i haven't tried, but i believe you NEED to have ios4 ipod/iphone, otherwise it will just be a blank screen. again, never tried though, but that's what i was told.

i think it's about time to invest in a little itouch with ios4
Old 12-28-10, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

2) Buttons vs. touch and swipe anywhere on the screen. When I first turned it on, I was thinking of my iPad and tried to touch playlists to select playlists. That didn't work, so I had to use the arrows on the right to select the line and then press select. Same thing with scrolling - you have to use arrows and can't swipe. These are probably limitations of the Lexus capacitive touch screen so not sure Vaistech could do anything about this anyway - but it would be better.
3) Lack of menu for iPod video out. You have to select videos using the Ipod screen rather than browse the videos on the ML screen. This is actually annoying. I think it would be great if they had a way to browse your music videos on the screen. Better yet just add music videos to the iPod Audio qout interface and have the system toggle the modes automatically.
To touch a few points that i was able to discuss with Vaistech about:

2) The limitation has more to do with Apple, because they don't allow any direct touch control with the new iPod Out feature. It's more of a "display" and it allows simple commands like up/down/left/right/repeat/shuffle. So that's why Vaistech's option would be to use utilize these controls and send those commands to the iPod.

3) This is another limitation from Apple. Probably because of safety, again they don't allow video out. So Vaistech had to find a way to get around the system. That's why currently there is no way to allow selections and control of iPod video directly on the touch screen, and have to go through the iPod itself. Apple also disabled the video section from the playlists, artists, albums, etc... screen, so only way to do it is manual

Last edited by rominl; 12-28-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 12:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
To touch a few points that i was able to discuss with Vaistech about:

2) The limitation has more to do with Apple, because they don't allow any direct touch control with the new iPod Out feature. It's more of a "display" and it allows simple commands like up/down/left/right/repeat/shuffle. So that's why Vaistech's option would be to use utilize these controls and send those commands to the iPod.
Interesting. My guess was it was a Lexus nav limitation but what you're saying makes sense. The way Pioneer gets around this is they just pull the album art and the file info from the iPod, but the Pioneer unit provides its own menus, etc.
Old 12-28-10, 01:51 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ The good news is that should Apple add touch functionality through iPod out, we should be able to upgrade out ML+ firmware to take advantage of it. I hope to see that come to fruition sometime soon.

Quick Reply: Vaistech ML Plus (ML+) Review - Buy Recommendation from former SL2i user!!!