Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DIY Fail!

Old 11-13-10, 04:25 PM
rrr0005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Fail!

I tried to do a DIY install of a VAIS iPod integration unit, but I could not get the air vents off. I think I may have broken a clip or two....ok, maybe three, but I am not sure. Anyway, I plan on taking it into a pro shop so they can do it for me. I hope the fact that I may have broken a clip or two does not make it hard to remove the air vents.
Old 11-25-10, 11:09 AM
vrd-is300
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

FAIL!! better luck next time,
Old 11-25-10, 11:57 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody starts somewhere or another, these are the experiences we learn from. Without actually doing it yourself, you don't gain anything. Even though you broke some clips, you know what to do next time. Don't let this stop you from doing other things down the road.
Old 11-29-10, 08:26 AM
TRD07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Everybody starts somewhere or another, these are the experiences we learn from. Without actually doing it yourself, you don't gain anything. Even though you broke some clips, you know what to do next time. Don't let this stop you from doing other things down the road.
times 2, stuff gets broken at times and thats way they make replacement parts.
Old 11-29-10, 08:43 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Agreed, however lets say you can pay 30 or 40 for the install. But the replacement parts and install is going to 80. DIY for car audio is great because alot of shops take advantage of people. Like I know we use to charge 30 for a sub install into the box(This is a BIG rip off). My point is certain vechicles like benzs, bmws, volvos, audis, vws, and other well built cars (lexus') depending on the job are not worth experimenting on. This doesn't seem to be the case here and I def would have tried this install also no matter what but it makes a good case for being more cautious than cheap. That is the only time I say not to DIY if you are just trying to save a buck chances are your install isn't going to turn out right. However if you are doing it for pride and ownership than more power to you.
Old 11-29-10, 08:08 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is assemble, then it get dissemble in the reverse procedures. NEVER use brut force to dissemble, it is usually the wrong way. I usually stop before using brut force and rethink.
Old 11-29-10, 09:25 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

flathead screwdriver + cloth ftw.

break more, learn more. I started breaking my Honda when I was 16, now I'm pretty good at DIYing. I've broken a crap ton of stuff ranging from corner lights to amplifiers to Gameboys, don't let it stop you. Yesterday I just learned that wet-sanding does not repair brushed aluminum.
Old 11-29-10, 10:12 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznxenon
flathead screwdriver + cloth ftw.

break more, learn more. I started breaking my Honda when I was 16, now I'm pretty good at DIYing. I've broken a crap ton of stuff ranging from corner lights to amplifiers to Gameboys, don't let it stop you. Yesterday I just learned that wet-sanding does not repair brushed aluminum.
Lol i dont mind learning on inexpensive things but no offense I wouldnt let you near my tv.....
Old 12-05-10, 10:07 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

yeap that how you learn about your car this in my first lexus but after working on other car i have found that there really easy to work and yea you may break parts but planing and taking your time may avoid it or minimized damage
Old 12-11-10, 11:21 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Live and learn, i'm glad you tried it and now you know how to not break it the next time you take it out.
Old 12-11-10, 11:41 AM
theslammer
Driver School Candidate

theres 4 tabs inside the top of the air vent that need to be pushed down then you can pry the air vent from both sides gently and get the air vent out. dont unlug the two harnesses, just swing it up on top of the dash
Old 12-13-10, 09:49 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neojungle1
yeap that how you learn about your car this in my first lexus but after working on other car i have found that there really easy to work and yea you may break parts but planing and taking your time may avoid it or minimized damage
Hopefully u dont upgrade to a rolls royce or bently...
Old 12-14-10, 09:30 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

royce and bently are really no difference cause there more expensive i have never broken anything in my car or anybody else.. but if this your first time owning or working on any car,,then yea your going to break something...i have work installing music and complete rewiring on numerous car i have work on but common sense and experience goes a long way and the most important part ...is ask if your no sure on something case in point with rrr0005 the air vent clip can break if not pull right by the way on which car are you working on rrr0005 you didnt stated on your post
Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Hopefully u dont upgrade to a rolls royce or bently...
Old 12-14-10, 07:33 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neojungle1
royce and bently are really no difference cause there more expensive i have never broken anything in my car or anybody else.. but if this your first time owning or working on any car,,then yea your going to break something...i have work installing music and complete rewiring on numerous car i have work on but common sense and experience goes a long way and the most important part ...is ask if your no sure on something case in point with rrr0005 the air vent clip can break if not pull right by the way on which car are you working on rrr0005 you didnt stated on your post
Very expensive cars are different because they have hand made parts. These parts often dont have the typical clips that hondas, toyotas and fords have. So if you pull on the dash to pop out the stereo you will find yourself in a world of trouble. Also if you were to break a vent or crack the dash your not looking at a 50 part from the wrecker or dealer... your looking at a 600 part if you can even get it.