Sponsored by:

Shift Lock/Navigation/Brake issue 98+ Gated Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 04:38 PM
Hbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Lock/Navigation/Brake issue 98+ Gated Shifter

I get a clicking sound from under the center console when engaging brakes. This happens when the car is in gear as well as when going from park to drive. The brake lights work.

If I hold the Shift Lock button down no clicking.

In order to enter an address into the Pioneer Navigation I have to hold the shift lock button down.

It has been like this for several months after some local car stereo monkeys could not fix my Viper alarm. I lost faith in car stereo installers. I do not want them touching anything if possible.

I don't know if the Viper issue is related. The alarm started going off even if it was not armed.

I have a 98+ gated shifter and a 1JZ if it matters
Old 11-11-10, 08:05 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Car stereo monkeys? Not everyone who installs is an uncivilized cretin, FYI. Some actually have skills and take their jobs seriously, learning the correct way to do things and creating fantastic work.

It sounds like the wire that was supposed to be connected to the neutral safety switch/shift lock is not attached any more or the shift lock itself is damaged.

The clicking is normal when hitting the brakes to disengage it. I suggest taking it to your mechanic or the dealer and have it checked out. One problem could be causing the other.

Big Mack
Old 11-12-10, 06:34 AM
Hbro
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

I should not have demeaned the whole industry, but I went to 4 different car stereo shops seeking advice on subwoofers. They were clueless and refused to listen to what I was after.
Old 11-13-10, 11:32 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hbro
Thanks.

I should not have demeaned the whole industry, but I went to 4 different car stereo shops seeking advice on subwoofers. They were clueless and refused to listen to what I was after.
No worries, it sounds like the frustration that I used to hear a lot from those who went into a car stereo boutique and talked to a clerk. I suggest looking into someone who carries better brands and talk to them over the phone. I used to invite people in for appointments, not just say "come on in, we're open until 7." It's getting to be more rare to find someone who truly loves the business, but they are still out there. The problem I see is that there are far too few barriers to entry anymore. It used to be that you had to pony up some capital in order to carry a brand. Now anyone and everyone can get a dealer's license and buy whatever brand they want with a small minimum order. I realize this is usually good for the consumer's wallet in the initial, but it does take more than a screwdriver, a pair of crimpers, and a wire stripper to work on today's complex machines.

Good luck in getting it fixed, mang, and thanks for hearing me out.

Big Mack