Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC

Old 09-24-12, 03:58 PM
Yipee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know if this mod works with 2nd Gen gs300.
Old 04-22-13, 06:50 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Question on Aux Input for Carpc

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Yeah, it does sound a lot better than cassette.

To answer your question though, i've got one for you. Are you sticking a cassette adapter in there or using the cd changer trick?
I'm no longer using this method as i've undergone my carPC build, but i have run into a very similar problem, where the there's that whine, that goes up with the throttle. If someone could figure that one out, we'd appreciate it.
I'm new to the forum but I'm looking to add aux input to factory stereo and see you stop using the method to do carpc build. I am looking to do carpc build as well and wanted to know how you added an aux input or mini plug to pc?

Thanks for your help....Gee
Old 11-25-13, 01:14 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old post but did anybody figure out how to do the mod on a Nak system? I would love to do this!!
Old 01-10-14, 10:16 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that the pic links are dead, i really wish i still had these pics but it's been so long and i've long since switched to a carpc. I've got a friend who's got a Nak system that i'm gonna try get him to let me take a peak at it and see if i can do anything to help you guys with Naks. And then maybe i can redo some of the pictures.
Old 02-19-14, 01:05 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Sorry that the pic links are dead, i really wish i still had these pics but it's been so long and i've long since switched to a carpc. I've got a friend who's got a Nak system that i'm gonna try get him to let me take a peak at it and see if i can do anything to help you guys with Naks. And then maybe i can redo some of the pictures.
Wil a male to female servo cable work? Hobbytownusa only carries male to femal and radio shack doesnt carry **** anymore lol they didnt even have the stero panel mount

Last edited by IneednSC; 02-19-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 10:35 AM
karolek98
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I would like to do aux input. But when i opened the audio it looks complettly different than in this thread. Also i got a cd changer but its not working, is there any possibility i can trick the system and make aux without cd changer? or how can i make it working? because there i can notice 2 examples of radio and how to do it, mine looks inside completly different. sorry for my english..
Old 04-29-14, 09:13 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so, bumping an old thread here, but i just did this mod to my current 99 SC300 and i get no sound coming through the aux port if i have the CD input on (with the caddy loaded and a blank CD in the caddy).

the weird thing is the aux port works when i have the stereo on AM or FM radio, and it will just play over the radio hiss.

anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-01-14, 11:40 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Cartmill, that is strange. It's possible Toyota could have changed the design of the Pioneer head unit for 98-00 models along with the many other updates for those years.

My understanding was that this modification won't work with Nakamichi optioned cars but this is the first I've heard of a late model not allowing the test passthrough trick to work.
Old 05-05-14, 09:26 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well, what's strange is that the passthrough works for the AM and FM inputs, but not for the TAPE and CD inputs... anyone?
Old 05-17-14, 10:54 AM
Elbereth
Driver School Candidate

I would like to confirm that this works in the 2000 SC300.

I took some pictures if this helps anyone.

Here is the teardown of the console. I took this as a reference in case I messed anything up, but someone might find it useful.
DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC-drauxmf.jpg

In my stock Nakamichi on the 2000 model, the test pins looked a little different. I circled the area on the picture. The lettering on the board implies that the ground is not the center wire. This is not true, the same center ground applies.
DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC-cn6kidb.jpg

I attached the aux jack to the back of the head unit. The wire I chose to run down the gearshift area would have not fit if I attached it at the side.
DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC-035as2i.jpg

I didn't take pictures of it, but the wire runs down near the shifter to the center console. I added a ground isolation unit there as well, and secured it underneath the cupholder. I'm considering running a line back from the cigarette lighter to build in a power-only usb jack inside the console. One project at a time though.

Thanks again for the original idea!
Old 07-03-14, 09:34 PM
tankbob
Driver School Candidate

This is the best mod in terms of what you get for the price by far! 10$ and now I can listen to my music instead of the horrible radio here in socal. My tape deck is fudged and switches to fm so I left the cd tray open and it will just sit on that and let me play my tunes.
Old 08-14-14, 01:35 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Elbereth

Here is the teardown of the console. I took this as a reference in case I messed anything up, but someone might find it useful.

In my stock Nakamichi on the 2000 model, the test pins looked a little different. I circled the area on the picture. The lettering on the board implies that the ground is not the center wire. This is not true, the same center ground applies.

I attached the aux jack to the back of the head unit. The wire I chose to run down the gearshift area would have not fit if I attached it at the side.

I didn't take pictures of it, but the wire runs down near the shifter to the center console. I added a ground isolation unit there as well, and secured it underneath the cupholder. I'm considering running a line back from the cigarette lighter to build in a power-only usb jack inside the console. One project at a time though.

So the "G" is not the ground? From top to bottom it goes Right, Ground, Left??

Last edited by Kris9884; 08-14-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 10:46 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Elbereth

Is that mean the post above ^^^^ confirmed the mod will work with Nak system?
Old 09-09-14, 12:06 PM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone use this?

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-14-fm-...-usb-is32.aspx
Old 12-18-14, 12:17 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Okay so I had trouble with finding which channels went where as I am not very experienced with wiring. After some research and scrolling through reviews of the panel mount phone jack on Radioshack I found some information on where to solder the servo wires. I drew up a little cheat sheat for myself during install. I hope this helps someone in the future. This will be the 2nd time I do this mod, thank you so much to CL members who contributed to this. Very helpful mod for those of us who do not want to spend loads of money on aftermarket head units that do not match the high quality of our interiors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC