Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC

Old 01-11-12, 09:01 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your radio just needs to be on, while not playing anything. This method goes directly to the amp and will play music from your player of choice regardless if the radio is playing NPR, a CD is playing, etc. You just have to fool the radio to stay on without actually playing anything. Hence jamming the changer, or putting in a tape-aux adapter without the cord.
Old 02-04-12, 02:47 PM
S14DST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coko
I took apart my Nakamichi system and the circuit layout is all different, so I took a guess and failed. Any help would be appreciated!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u...4/IMG_5221.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-h...4/IMG_5225.JPG

I guessed the white connector at the bottom left could be where I solder my AUX to. The connector has 4 pins, and the middle two are ground, so I assumed the other two are the left and right. The assumed left and right pins are connected directly to the tape sensor, but I'm not sure if it's the appropriate place to solder the AUX onto.

I didn't know which is right/left, so I just soldered it on and tried it, but it sounds like garbage. If I got the right/left soldered on backwards, it should still have sounded good, right? (Like putting on earphones backwards)

I really like this idea, I was about to try the same thing! And it really is bad quality?
Because I don't have CD changer, just amp and nakamichi system...
Really would like to know if there is any other possibilities?

What about wires that goes to amp? Maybe those ar good enough? (Just a random question)
Old 02-18-12, 01:24 PM
Goochie
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys!

I'll be doing this mod to my GS300 next week once the servo cable and phone jack have arrived - If only I'd found it before buying 2 useless CD changers from ebay that never worked!
Old 02-21-12, 06:10 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Wait, so this mod works for the GS300 radio too? Which year?
Old 02-22-12, 06:26 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

It occurred to me the other day that this could be an even more interesting auxiliary port if there were some sort of 1/8" Bluetooth passthrough adapter to plug into it. Most cars have them these days. I'm looking around at what's out there.
Old 03-24-12, 05:13 AM
Goochie
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone.

I've currently got my GS300 in pieces on the driveway having done this mod to the stereo.

The head unit came out easily and I've connected the servo lead and soldered on the 3.5mm connector.

However, I only get very very quiet music when I play the iPod.

Firstly, I tried inserting an old tape into the cassette player and letting it play. I then connected the iPod and heard the popping sound you get when you connect an audio jack with it switched on.

I hit play on the iPod and no sound is heard.

Next I tuned the FM to an empty frequency and tried the same thing, expecting the iPOD sound to play over the slight hiss from the empty FM signal.

Again, no sound is heard.

I'm confident in my wiring and soldering - I was a panel wireman working on industrial panels for 2 years so I know how to solder. I've connected the middle pin of the PCB connector to the ground connection on the 3.5mm jack.

As you push the jack into the iPod you can hear the click/pop as it goes in and if you insert it slowly, you hear the background hiss from the car speakers drop out one side after another as the left/right AUX from the iPod is connected.

The only way I can hear anything from the iPod is to turn the iPod volume to maximum and the Lexus volume to maximum. Doing that allows me to hear the MP3 very quietly (like a whisper)

Any ideas???

Last edited by Goochie; 03-24-12 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 01:33 PM
Goochie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goochie
Hi Everyone.

I've currently got my GS300 in pieces on the driveway having done this mod to the stereo.

The head unit came out easily and I've connected the servo lead and soldered on the 3.5mm connector.

However, I only get very very quiet music when I play the iPod.

Firstly, I tried inserting an old tape into the cassette player and letting it play. I then connected the iPod and heard the popping sound you get when you connect an audio jack with it switched on.

I hit play on the iPod and no sound is heard.

Next I tuned the FM to an empty frequency and tried the same thing, expecting the iPOD sound to play over the slight hiss from the empty FM signal.

Again, no sound is heard.

I'm confident in my wiring and soldering - I was a panel wireman working on industrial panels for 2 years so I know how to solder. I've connected the middle pin of the PCB connector to the ground connection on the 3.5mm jack.

As you push the jack into the iPod you can hear the click/pop as it goes in and if you insert it slowly, you hear the background hiss from the car speakers drop out one side after another as the left/right AUX from the iPod is connected.

The only way I can hear anything from the iPod is to turn the iPod volume to maximum and the Lexus volume to maximum. Doing that allows me to hear the MP3 very quietly (like a whisper)

Any ideas???
anyone??????
Old 05-04-12, 07:18 PM
flsc300
Rookie

I just did this mod but only my right speakers play my music the left side is not playing. Btw my cassette player wasn't working so what I did was get one of those cheap fm transmitters and when it's turned on it clears the preset radio station of any static so this is a great option for ppl that their cassette player doesn't work with great results. Neway I will open the radio again when I get time and make sure that the servo wire is connect to both channels on the mother board.
Update ... I checked the servo connection and its on there perfectly. If anyone knows what going on please help

Last edited by flsc300; 05-04-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 06:05 PM
bank
Driver

I just got a 96 sc300 a week ago and it already had this mod done.
Old 05-10-12, 01:04 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

This is my first DIY...

Just spent the last hour or so doing this mod. The tape deck is officially toast (probably hasn't had a tape in there in over a decade), so I did the CD changer thing. It works just fine with an officially blank CD (not formatted/burned or anything) too.

Love this forum, though! I learn more about my car on a regular basis!
Old 05-16-12, 07:14 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by flsc300
I just did this mod but only my right speakers play my music the left side is not playing. Btw my cassette player wasn't working so what I did was get one of those cheap fm transmitters and when it's turned on it clears the preset radio station of any static so this is a great option for ppl that their cassette player doesn't work with great results. Neway I will open the radio again when I get time and make sure that the servo wire is connect to both channels on the mother board.
Update ... I checked the servo connection and its on there perfectly. If anyone knows what going on please help
Anyone. ??????
Old 05-27-12, 01:46 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Just found this how-to and thanks to pieisgude

I can confirm this works on my 1992 SC300:

Pioneer kex-m91g1zt.

Tips for beginners:

1. Make sure you pick up a groud loop isolator so you can charge while you play!

2. For those that are splicing your own wires and have volume, L/R balancing problems, etc..

make sure all your connections are CLEAN. Remember that in a standard RCA cable:

a. The peripheral wires or the wires that wrap around the center insulated wire is NEGATIVE GROUND

b. The center insulated wire is POSITIVE LINE

*make sure no stray or frayed wires from the ground comes in contact with the positive wire. Even one single strand of hair from the ground that touches the positive will ruin the install.
Old 06-25-12, 07:45 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate the props!
Old 08-08-12, 07:26 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping this to the top!
Old 09-12-12, 07:57 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pieisgude
I bought the Stereo Panel-Mount Jack from Radio Shack and it has a vague pin configuration description on the back (or at least I'm not familiar with the nomenclature used). I've attached a diagram that's on the back of the packaging along with a picture of a headphone jack. From what I found online so far... 1=Ground, 2=Left Channel, 3=Right Channel.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC-stereo-jack-panel.jpg  

Last edited by Khaos; 10-12-12 at 01:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Install an auxiliary port in your SC