Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

dt's (dan taylor) featured article in mobile entertainment (large images)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 01:32 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dt's (dan taylor) featured article in mobile entertainment (large images)

Old 07-20-02, 06:00 PM
redlexie
Driver School Candidate

Default flip up monitor

i spoke to you at the car show in baltimore at the convention center, while awwing over your car. I told you i was waiting for my red is300 in 5speed, well i finally got it and im looking to get a screen to motorize like your where the factory nav should be, could you please help me in any way.

your car looks phat as ****

David
Old 07-21-02, 03:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an all round awesome car!!!!
Old 07-21-02, 09:51 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi John! (Lexus_IS300)

Thanks for posting this article. I shall look for it on the news stands. Byapssing the factory amp is a good idea, and it's certainly nothing really new. There's a member on the SC forum that did this with some very good results, though the SC (on some models) had the advantage of line level voltages at the wiring harness, something that simply isn't available with the GS series, at least not with the Premium system. I can completely understand why they chose to keep the stock head unit - why pay extra for a 6cd changer when you already have one built in?

One of the weak spots thats already encountered is with the Phoenix Gold PLD-1. These aren't the cleanest unless they're modded. Elsewhere in the article the writer generalizes "sound degrading line out converters". While this may be true for most of the LOC's out there, it isn't true of one - Audiolink Powerlink converters. They're a bit more expensive but for the performace, they're worth it.

Focals...a good start. Well respected among IASCA competition. The picture doesn't show the tweeters very clearly. IME, the kevlar tweets sound a bit harsh and I like the titanium ones even better - not that I like titanium all that much. (too much rise above 17khz - and by a significant degree due to titaniums lack of damping - harshness and shrillness WILL occur). But, you know me...I'd always go for Dynaudio for the "ultimate" in sound - and they have the specs and performance to prove it. The "other guys" are still afraid to show the real specs (Rainbow Reference Pro, etc) and I'm wondering if they're so good, what do they REALLY have to hide?

Are those Kicker L7's? IMO...YUCK. I've seen alot of these being returned back to the shops with blown out coils - and they're running clean power through them. These look like the newer type and I hope they (kicker) improved on them. Now if he was running a Velodyne sub...

OK...I'm done complaining about the level of components used in the installation. Now for the installation itself....EXCELLENT. Very clean, not too "showy", and no blatant overkill on chrome, fiberglass or neon. Well done! As for the outside, I wouldn't exactly call the car a "sleeper" (like the author calls it) since there are quite a few dead giveaways for the sharp eye.

Definitely a nice car...but I'd start tweaking the heck out of the sound system in a heartbeat - especially the components!

The BIG QUESTION....Where's his EQ or processor? No serious system should be without one! Sorry, but the "eq" built into the head unit isn't exactly what I would call a "real" eq. Not enough bands!

Percy
Old 07-22-02, 03:09 AM
blitz
Pole Position

N-I-C-E~~~