'92 SC400 - Main amp cooked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 06:14 PM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '92 SC400 - Main amp cooked?

Hi,

Our new to us SC400 just developed serious audio problems. When we purchased it the sound worked fine, but the LR speaker was completely dead. I checked the physical connections and they seemed to be fine.

Now, just four days into ownership, disaster has struck. As soon as the Nakamichi head unit is turned on the speakers make a continuous thumping noise. It sounds like someone tapping on the microphone of a PA system. Adjusting the volume doesn't do anything and no music is heard no matter what source is selected.

I suspect this means the main amplifier is cooked. Is this a common problem?

The trunk is totally dry, but I noticed some indication that it may have been wet once (rusty tools etc). Are trunk leaks a common problem with these cars?

Thanks in advance for any useful information...
Old 09-08-10, 07:21 PM
clownbaby
Driver School Candidate

i have this problem on occasion also. the problem phases in and out. it might not have any correlation but ive noticed that this problem occurs when its hot outside.
Old 09-08-10, 07:33 PM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm - temperature is not the problem here. It's a cool fall day. So far no sign of it going away...

Is it impossibly difficult to replace the factory amp with a third party one? Hadn't wanted to spend money on the audio system just yet, but this can't be ignored.
Old 09-08-10, 08:36 PM
2jzLextasy
Rookie

just do what i did. take it to an audio shop buy a cheap 350 watt amp and have them bypass the factory amp
Old 11-05-10, 03:36 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snoofus
Hi,

Our new to us SC400 just developed serious audio problems. When we purchased it the sound worked fine, but the LR speaker was completely dead. I checked the physical connections and they seemed to be fine.

Now, just four days into ownership, disaster has struck. As soon as the Nakamichi head unit is turned on the speakers make a continuous thumping noise. It sounds like someone tapping on the microphone of a PA system. Adjusting the volume doesn't do anything and no music is heard no matter what source is selected.

I suspect this means the main amplifier is cooked. Is this a common problem?

The trunk is totally dry, but I noticed some indication that it may have been wet once (rusty tools etc). Are trunk leaks a common problem with these cars?

Thanks in advance for any useful information...
Just saw your post. My '92 SC 400 just developed the same problem that you have. Thumping sound in speakers and all. I went to my local Best Buy to look at new radios and one of the installers there told me it most likely is that the amp is bad (I've posted looking for an used salvage amp - there are many on Ebay but not my exact model number and didn't want to chance it). I also get water under my back seat and on the rear floor board carpet after a rain. Going to post a thread to see what's causing that. Anyway I saw where someone told you to get an after market amp and use that. I wonder if that is hard to do? Would an amp bypass kit let you use the OEM plugs to the original amp w/o having to reconnect each individual wire? I have the tech manuals if I need to rewire the amp. Maybe someone can help us with using an after market amp as OEM amp may be hard to find. Any ideas from anyone? Thanx, Rick