Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Hard/Direct Wire to Rear View Mirror (NEW).Valentine, 9500ix,etc. PIX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 08:41 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radar Detector Hard/Direct Wire to Rear View Mirror (NEW).Valentine, 9500ix,etc. PIX

Simple Question.
So I have the V1 but this applies to anyone who has direct wired their radar detector to the new rear view mirror. I have a '08 IS-F but I had the Mirror TSIB done so I have the same mirror that I believe are in the '10 ISx50's and IS-F's (maybe '09's too?).

MY QUESTION: What wires are 1.) Switched 12V power and 2.) Ground.

As you can see we have 5 wires to choose from (from left to right): ORANGE, BLACK, WHITE W/BLACK STRIPE, RED, & BLUE.

I have attached pictures of my mirror so you know what I'm talking about. I bought the "phone cord" attachment on ebay and I know that the red is 12v and the black is ground on that wire. What I don't know and haven't been able to find out is which wires on the mirror to tap into to power my V1.

Please take a look and if you know the answer post it here. I'm sure somebody here has already done this.

Thanks!!

I don't have access to a voltage meter to test them myself, plus I have heard from another member that the meter prongs were too big to test the wires anyway.

Old 07-06-10, 09:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You mention a new mirror so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference, but suggest if you haven't that you look at the hardware a valentine thread in the FAQ sticky in the 2IS forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tart-here.html

Edit direct link to the thread in the FAQ and check post 202 for 2010 mirror

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...full-post.html
Old 07-06-10, 10:18 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dave, I think that's what I'm looking for...From what I can tell for the posters pictures the White w/black stripe wire is the switched power and the black is ground.

I'll give this a try later today and report back. Thanks!
Old 07-06-10, 03:36 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Welp, no dice...I just tried red (radar cord) to White w/black stripe (mirror) and black (radar cord) to black (mirror) and I still did not get any power to my radar detector.

Anybody else have a idea??? This "easy" mod is becoming a pain in the butt.
Old 07-07-10, 08:34 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wired directly from the RJ11 (phone cable) by stripping back the wires and using the two in the center. I did not use the one you have in the pictures, which by the way are kind of confusing. The wires go from red to black, and the other way. Typically RED is positive, and BLACK is negative.

Using a volt meter, you would just strip back some of the insulation, or if the probes have sharp tips, you can pierce the insulation jacket to test. That is what I did.

As far as the harness you have, I used the black and white with tracer line.

I just went back out to my car to confirm the V1 End.

Yellow = Mute (not used)
Green = 12V (goes to black)
Red = Ground (goes to white with tracer)
Black = Data (not used)

So basically from the 2010 Mirror Harness, ie: (new mirror replacement)

The BLACK wire is POSITIVE
The WHITE with TRACER is NEGATIVE

Always test your connections prior to hooking anything up.
Old 07-07-10, 10:25 AM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks TxAdamFitz!!

I just tried again with your info above on my lunch break and presto! It finally works.

In my case the correct way to hardwire was RED (my ebay cord) to BLACK on the mirror harness and Black (my eBay cord) to White w/tracer on mirror harness

I am going to have a little trouble routing the wire due to the little fuse section they have on there but I'll figure that out later. At least i have power!

Here are some pics:

Old 07-07-10, 12:14 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats good info. but man, how do you see out of you windshield with it hanging from the mirror like that?! The V1 is a great machine, but it certainly isn't svelte.

Is mounting it on top of the mirror an option?
Old 07-07-10, 12:22 PM
BaronvdB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Thats good info. but man, how do you see out of you windshield with it hanging from the mirror like that?! The V1 is a great machine, but it certainly isn't svelte.

Is mounting it on top of the mirror an option?
today is the first day i've had it up on the mount so I don't know how it will affect visibility yet..although, i know a lot of other people have mounted radar detector this way and I don't recall hearing complaints about visibility.

If you did figure out a way to mount it above the mirror i doubt the rear detector would work (at least in my F).

I know! This is the newest V1 and they still look exactly the same as they have for years...luckily they work very well b/c nobody is buying the V1 for its looks.
Old 07-02-11, 05:59 PM
nzk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Baron! Worked great for my install on 2010 ISF. only difference in my harness was instead of blue wire I have beige. But the black is power and white w tracer is ground just as in your pic. I wish wire colors were standardized!
Old 07-04-11, 06:30 AM
BLKFIN
Driver School Candidate

I did this mod a few months ago and love it. Thanks for posting this "how to" !
Old 01-19-13, 10:39 AM
PiCASSO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BaronvdB
Thanks TxAdamFitz!!

I just tried again with your info above on my lunch break and presto! It finally works.

In my case the correct way to hardwire was RED (my ebay cord) to BLACK on the mirror harness and Black (my eBay cord) to White w/tracer on mirror harness

I am going to have a little trouble routing the wire due to the little fuse section they have on there but I'll figure that out later. At least i have power!

Here are some pics:

Hi,

I know this is an old post... but I've been wanting to get rid of the OEM cord on my V1 and tap into the rearview mirror. I have a 2006 Lexus IS350... found out that I need a Torx T15 to remove the plate, but haven't taken it fully apart to see what wire scheme I have.

Can you please let me know where you've purchased your wire with fuse? Also, do you have pictures of the current setup and how you routed the cables?

Thank you.