Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Vais Technology MultiMediaLinQ VML Digital Audio Interface Adapter Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 08:03 PM
dvzzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Vais Technology MultiMediaLinQ VML Digital Audio Interface Adapter Mini Review

I noticed that a lot of forum users are asking about VML but there are no reviews that cover the most important aspect of the device - musicality. If you are happy with your FM transmitter for your iPod link - no need to read any further. This review goes a little bit into the audio quality depth.

Disclaimers: I bought VML 11 months ago from Vais. Flashed all of their firmware updates regularly and this review was done on the most recent one that supports FLAC. I am not in any way affiliated with Vais Tech, just a regular user obsessed with ML sound in the Lexus. VML was tested on 2004 and 2006 GX470’s with Mark Levinson systems and Nav. I must say that Lexus took a giant step down in sound quality of their ML systems from 2004 to 2006. I have evaluated DAC’s in both cars by listening to the CD’s and while 2004 was very open dynamic with prominent lows. The amplifier in 2004 was faster. Soundstage is wider. In 2006 DAC is quite flat and very “dull”. Same CD’s in 2006 sounded like I moved from a CD to 128 kbps MP3. Keep this in mind.

VML supports playback of MP3, FLAC and uncompressed PCM (WAV).

Loaded files on the memory card and plugged it into VML on 2006 GX. I did not have high expectations assuming that Lexus Mark Levinson is so downgraded in 06 that VML will not impact it but as I learned it, sound was crippled by the DAC in the Lexus system. VML is using it’s own DAC.

****16bit/44KHz WAV (PCM)****
I do all my in-car listening in PCM - uncompressed rips from the CD’s done in the XLD with Paranoia mode turned on. All rips are checked against AccurateRip database. Most of CD’s are MFSL Original Master Recordings in 16bit/44KHz.

The most telling experience is with Roy Orbison’s (UDCD 555) MFSL WAV’s. Second track sounded natural and guitar was clear, but Roy’s voice is what captivates the listener. Details are all there. You can hear fingers running down the strings, little speech defects that he had are not annoying anymore but rather making it true-sounding. Sound stage expanded, it felt like I just replaced the ML system in this GX.

The metal in Roy’s voice is gone. Air is back. I am happy with the results.

Santana’s Supernatural in Japanese print is no longer annoying the listener with guitar rips, they now draw you in vs. annoying you. Happy camper here too.

When Sade’s Soldier of Love played, it had a vinyl touch to that. Generally Sade’s recordings are top-notch but sound engineer in this recording made interesting choice that pushed her voice to the back of the stage while emphasizing instruments, and on Lexus “native” ML CD changer it really created an uncomfortable effect as if Sade was singing in another room. VML did not completely fixed the issue but this recording was back where I can enjoy it. At least flatness was gone, lows got tighter.

****24bit/44KHz WAV (PCM from HDCD)****
Mark Knopfler’s Golden Heart in HDCD delivered on VML. At some points I had to replay tracks one more time just to remind myself that I am in a car. Guitars and voices were very natural and neutral. Did I hear a difference attribute to HDCD format, it is hard for me to say. I did not have 16/44 Redbook CD to compare to, but generally HDCD’s are well recorded and that alone makes them great choice for demanding audio. If you can get your hands on the Japanese issues, you should be in luck. What I do not have a confirmation for if all HDCD’s are truly 24bit but their technology is asking for that.

**** 16bit/44KHz FLAC ****
Same CD rips were used but this time to FLAC and, for some strange reason, I felt that FLAC had a small advantage over WAV’s. Technically speaking, it should be the other way around. Since FLAC algorithm is more processor intensive, it should tax DAC more potentially causing more jitter but it was not the case for me. I am thinking about re-ripping most of my CD’s to FLAC, but before I do that I will do more testing on my home stereo. One thing that I want to be clear about if you hear that WAV, FLAC ALAC Lossless WMA all sound the same I strongly disagree with that statement. Container does matter and my comparison tests prove that at least on VML.

The difference that I caught was tighter lows, in fact Santana’s recording was truly pleasurable it just happened to promote the right low frequencies without causing distortions or resonating door panels. FLAC implementation is a success too.

**** 16bit/44KHz MP3 320kbps****
This was a small test that VML passed. I am not sure if VML does any optimization of MP3 playback but MP3 sounded a lot less digital than on my earlier Vais Tech’s SLI adapter connected to the 4G 20GB iPod (those iPod did have the best Wolfson DAC’s among all iPod’s that Apple made, Apple switched DAC’s for all modern iPod’s and that killed iPod value to the audio enthusiast unless they use Wadia Transport), but even 4G iPod via SLI is no comparison to VML. DAC in VML is superior.

I would not go as far as to say that VML makes MP3 better but at least they no longer annoy you and hurt your ears.

**** Conclusion: sonically VLM is well thought through unit in the league of it’s own when it comes to automotive music. If you ever listened to in-car Nakamichi cassette decks from the early 90ies VML makes digital a lot more analog and not the other way around. Finally this Lexus system was competitive with my 2003 Subaru Outback's Macintosh that for a long time I felt was best OEM car stereo out there.

In one sentence, the sound is true and neutral and you can listen to that for hours on the long road trips.

Expandability is truly excellent, you can use any mass storage device that you prefer to connect to USB host. If you opt for the internal drive you can get up to 80GB in storage, so you can put a lot of FLAC music on VML.

**** What could be improved. I feel that developers focused on the sound quality and felt that average VML user is computer literate as internal drive loading process for VML is a just a bit cumbersome, but if you do not use an internal drive then all you need to do is just copy your songs to the storage device and plug it into the VML, the unit will cache it and start playback instantly. It is that brain-dead simple.

ALAC support would be great as well.

I applaud Vais Tech on this device. Well done. If you have a Lexus and trying to maximize the dollars you paid for Mark Levinson, you cannot go wrong with VML it made my 2006 Mark Levinson to be what it was supposed to be - Mark Levinson but this time successfully modded by wise Vais Tech engineer. Enjoy the music!

Last edited by dvzzz; 05-22-13 at 10:10 AM. Reason: things took turn for the worst
Old 05-22-13, 10:09 AM
dvzzz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Do not bother to buy Vais Tech products, read why...

Now, few folks do that, but I will. 2.5 years into the life of the product, here are my thoughts on MMLQ and Vais Tech in general. In short do not bother with their units:
One of their top guys did say to me "don't you worry, this unit is modular and upgradable for a long while" BUT here is the truth:
1) they stop supporting firmware for within 12-18 months, so you have a deadend product very quickly
2) they do not add any new features but rather push you to buy "new and upgraded" hardware to get any new features that others typically offer to you for free as a sw update (think smartphones and tablets)
3) no trade-in programs, so you have obsolete hardware within 12 months, to be fair it plays music you just cannot add new and interesting features to it, to me it is obsolete, if it is not programmable then it is deadend
4) they do not like to add support for open-souce formats like ogg or ALAC even though both are free, FLAC it is if you want lossless or WAV with no tagging...
5) Their support gets condescending quickly with you and says "You do not buy 2010 car and expect it to have 2013 features, actually Lexus does add features to their MultiMedia units and so does Honda and MB.

All in all, I am hugely disappointed, I bought their products for 7 years and was a happy beta tester for them but this time with regrets I must say, Vais Tech took a wrong term and their customer care is not where it used to be. My recommendation is DO NOT BUY.
Old 05-22-13, 02:10 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by dvzzz
Now, few folks do that, but I will. 2.5 years into the life of the product, here are my thoughts on MMLQ and Vais Tech in general. In short do not bother with their units:
One of their top guys did say to me "don't you worry, this unit is modular and upgradable for a long while" BUT here is the truth:
1) they stop supporting firmware for within 12-18 months, so you have a deadend product very quickly
2) they do not add any new features but rather push you to buy "new and upgraded" hardware to get any new features that others typically offer to you for free as a sw update (think smartphones and tablets)
3) no trade-in programs, so you have obsolete hardware within 12 months, to be fair it plays music you just cannot add new and interesting features to it, to me it is obsolete, if it is not programmable then it is deadend
4) they do not like to add support for open-souce formats like ogg or ALAC even though both are free, FLAC it is if you want lossless or WAV with no tagging...
5) Their support gets condescending quickly with you and says "You do not buy 2010 car and expect it to have 2013 features, actually Lexus does add features to their MultiMedia units and so does Honda and MB.

All in all, I am hugely disappointed, I bought their products for 7 years and was a happy beta tester for them but this time with regrets I must say, Vais Tech took a wrong term and their customer care is not where it used to be. My recommendation is DO NOT BUY.
VAISTech response can be found in another duplicate thread dvzzz created:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-our-cars.html