Sponsored by:

nakamichi stereo help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 02:24 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nakamichi stereo help please!!

hey guys just had a question bout my system. not sure if anybody has ran into this problem, as ive heard there are a couple problems with the amps sometimes getting wet.
anyways, heres the scenario. i'll try to turn the radio on (cd player, cassete, radio, anything they all do the same) and all i'll hear is just a ongoing ticking coming from the speakers.
now the problem is, is that i have NO clue at all what it could be. i put in a cassete that you can plug an ipod into and you can faintly hear some music (inbetween the ticking noise) comin from all the speakers.
what im not sure of is; is it the headunit that probably has problems? is it an amp that probably has started going out? could it be both? i just wanted to know if anyones ran into anything like this with their nakamichi system. thanks guys
Old 03-16-10, 01:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the amp but could also be the volume control unit. I've had both problems
Old 03-16-10, 02:43 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

You could rule out the volume **** by unplugging the harness to it. It will require you to remove the bezel, but it's a pretty quick easy test. When the volume control **** is disconnected the radio will default to full volume, so in order to keep from blasting the stereo I would play some music VERY softly using an iPod/MP3 player and a cassette adapter. If you hear sound, most likely your volume **** is bad, if not it's most likely a bad amp.

You could also remove the passenger's side trunk liner and see if there is any rust/corrosion on the amp, which is positioned below the CD changer, as that could be evidence of water damage.

Last edited by Scotty; 03-16-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:20 PM
DesertSlim
Rookie

Im in the same boat.. took apart the dash today to see if anything maybe was loose behind the headunit but everything seemed ok.. Im going to check to see if there is any rusting in the trunk but in AZ i strongly doubt it.. we did just have some rain a couple weeks ago tho..
Old 03-16-10, 10:15 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Could be the amp but could also be the volume control unit. I've had both problems
ahh freakin sweet. i wouldn't never have thought to see if its the volume control unit. DEF will try this as its probably the cheapest thing to fix as of now.

Originally Posted by Scotty
You could rule out the volume **** by unplugging the harness to it. It will require you to remove the bezel, but it's a pretty quick easy test. When the volume control **** is disconnected the radio will default to full volume, so in order to keep from blasting the stereo I would play some music VERY softly using an iPod/MP3 player and a cassette adapter. If you hear sound, most likely your volume **** is bad, if not it's most likely a bad amp
You could also remove the passenger's side trunk liner and see if there is any rust/corrosion on the amp, which is positioned below the CD changer, as that could be evidence of water damage.
thats genious dude. thanks so much. as far as the water damage i had been aware of it but been too busy to check it out. im from AZ and i agree it doesnt rain much here but you never know right? its too bad that lexus put the amp in such a voulnerable spot to water damage. theres no "recalls" or "TSIB"s for it are there? if not i'll probably make something myself to prevent it from getting water damage; that being if its not already damage. i will definately try the ipod/cassette adapter tomorrow and will post up what i find. hopefully its not something too crazy like bad wires. thanks guys for your help.
Old 03-17-10, 06:35 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

FYI, another issue I've seen mentioned on these forums that cause cause low/no volume in the older SC is water/corrosion, usually in the amp area, causing the telephone mute to permanently ground. Even if your SC didn't come with a Lexus phone, it was pre-wired for one and there is a mute pin on the amp and/or the head unit. If I remember correctly, the solution for this problem has sometimes been as simple as removing the amp, drying it out with a hairdryer and sometimes removing corrosion from the connectors.

I've seen threads where "tele-mute" issues have caused no/low volume on a variety of Lexus models -- particularly when the old phones have been left in place and they finally fail after years of disuse. I probably wouldn't have paid attention to any of this if I hadn't hooked my aftermarket phone kit to the tele-mute pin on the telephone system pre-wiring harness in my LS400. When I make or receive a phone call, my Nakamichi system automatically goes into mute mode but I can still barely hear sound from the radio/CD/etc.
Old 03-18-10, 12:19 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kansas
FYI, another issue I've seen mentioned on these forums that cause cause low/no volume in the older SC is water/corrosion, usually in the amp area, causing the telephone mute to permanently ground. Even if your SC didn't come with a Lexus phone, it was pre-wired for one and there is a mute pin on the amp and/or the head unit. If I remember correctly, the solution for this problem has sometimes been as simple as removing the amp, drying it out with a hairdryer and sometimes removing corrosion from the connectors.

I've seen threads where "tele-mute" issues have caused no/low volume on a variety of Lexus models -- particularly when the old phones have been left in place and they finally fail after years of disuse. I probably wouldn't have paid attention to any of this if I hadn't hooked my aftermarket phone kit to the tele-mute pin on the telephone system pre-wiring harness in my LS400. When I make or receive a phone call, my Nakamichi system automatically goes into mute mode but I can still barely hear sound from the radio/CD/etc.
thats interesting thanks man. the car did come with the phone car option, the only thing it didn't have was the actual phone, but that'll be something else i will def try. jus too bad i got a hangover from yesterdays' st pattys day. lol. thanks for posting i appreciate all the help/tips.
Old 03-18-10, 05:20 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

well, took everything apart and checked all the connectors, connections and also checked for signs of possible water damage. kinda crazy but i didn't find any corrosion anywhere nor did anthing seem to have water damage. its been a while sincei tried to listen to the radio but i do think that it might have helped. as i can hear a little bit more of the radio inbetween the "skips". i dont beleive its the cd changer (still changes cds) and the radio turns on and off fine. does anyone else have this problem where even when you're listenin to FM/AM radio it sounds like you're playing a scrateched CD? so far common sense and from what ive read signs are pointing to an amp but is there a way that i can be sure? (without buyin a new one and then find out its not the amp?)
if theres someway i can test the amp and find out that its not good can in stall an aftermarket amp?

get this, i called one of the local dealeships and they tried to BS me saying that they dont have a radio exchange program and that id have to pay full pop for it-HA! screw that; with the price they told me (including $4200+ just for the headunit) i could buy a BADASS sound system setup with new speakers and subs all around. i used to work at a lexus dealership and i know they're hurtin right now cuz of the economy but in my own opinion wouldn't it be better to make a $500+/- sale rather than running a customer away? lol go figure; thanks lexus of chandler.
Old 03-21-10, 10:07 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4hundo
get this, i called one of the local dealeships and they tried to BS me saying that they dont have a radio exchange program and that id have to pay full pop for it-HA!
Your local Lexus dealer may not be BS-ing you. My local Lexus dealer told me recently that there is no longer an exchange program for Nakamichi radios and that they can not supply new Nakamichi components for my 00 LS400. I was told that Lexus is required by law to supply parts for only seven years after a car is sold.

The company that repaired my Nakamichi head unit 2008 do longer repairs Nakamichi -- they and everyone else I have contacted have told me the same thing -- parts for Nakamichi are no longer available.

Your best bet for a new amp or head unit may be eBay or this or another Lexus forum. It would be great if you could test your amp in another car -- that's what I did to verify my Nak amp was OK ... put it in a friend's Lexus.
Old 03-25-10, 04:51 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
Your local Lexus dealer may not be BS-ing you. My local Lexus dealer told me recently that there is no longer an exchange program for Nakamichi radios and that they can not supply new Nakamichi components for my 00 LS400. I was told that Lexus is required by law to supply parts for only seven years after a car is sold.

The company that repaired my Nakamichi head unit 2008 do longer repairs Nakamichi -- they and everyone else I have contacted have told me the same thing -- parts for Nakamichi are no longer available.

Your best bet for a new amp or head unit may be eBay or this or another Lexus forum. It would be great if you could test your amp in another car -- that's what I did to verify my Nak amp was OK ... put it in a friend's Lexus.

hmm....that sounds interesting. and yea, i have heard about the 7-10 year parts production limiting manufacturing. as far as me trying it out in a friends car, well i would LOOOOOVE to and as well try theirs in mine but im new to the lexus scene and im not too sure about people that live by me having the nakamichi in their car either. if anyone reads this tho and would like to help hit me up =D

i know the step process is longer, or may be longer, but is there a way to test it without putting it in someone elses car? (in case i cant find anybody...) i kno car stereo shops have a way; ive had them check a couple before when i had my other car and bought some used stuff for my system. all the help i get i appreciate. thanks guys
Old 04-05-10, 11:45 AM
donaldnorm
Driver School Candidate

Hi;
I need a '95 Lexus SC400 Nakamichi Amplifier
86280-24190 / B336UL0A

got one? How much?

thanx so much
Don
Old 04-12-10, 11:39 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

i have one but i rewired stuff and im starting to think its not the amp. i'll have to try a new volume **** module after i test to see if that IS what the problem is.

but to answer your question,...i have seen them on ebay but idk; most of them say "sold as is" which isnt too convincing for something thats not all that cheap. my 2 cents =P good luck
Old 07-05-10, 11:40 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

so i finally got enough time to try taking out the headunit and checkin the connections; they were all good nothing out of place or messed up. i tried disconnecting the volume control **** and tried running a ipod through the cassette but that made no difference either. soooo...by process of elimination im almost pretty sure its the headunit. worst case scenario ill be putting in another headunit and doing a new system. =P too bad about the nakamichi systems f-ing up alot in these cars; u think they'd make replacement to prevent this from happening. o well =P
Old 07-17-10, 01:36 AM
PapaCap
Driver School Candidate

It's the amp. I had the same thing happen on my 95 SC400. The stereo would make a clicking noise. You could almost hear the station come in during the clicks or ticking. I went to a junkyard and found a Nakamichi amp. Replaced it and it works normally. BTW, the Pioneer amp will work with the Nakamichi head and vice versa. I have 2 Pioneer amps, a Pioneer head, a Nakamichi head and 2 Nakamichi amps (1 amp dead...plan on trying to fix it...I do electronic repairs) and have interchanged them and they all work together.

PC
Old 07-19-10, 08:52 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Originally Posted by PapaCap
It's the amp. I had the same thing happen on my 95 SC400. The stereo would make a clicking noise. You could almost hear the station come in during the clicks or ticking. I went to a junkyard and found a Nakamichi amp. Replaced it and it works normally. BTW, the Pioneer amp will work with the Nakamichi head and vice versa. I have 2 Pioneer amps, a Pioneer head, a Nakamichi head and 2 Nakamichi amps (1 amp dead...plan on trying to fix it...I do electronic repairs) and have interchanged them and they all work together.

PC
so you've crossed pioneers with nakamichis and they still worked? did the subwoofer still work? i thought there was somethign one had that the other didn't. how much, if you dont mind me asking, was the amp you got at the junkyard?

Quick Reply: nakamichi stereo help please!!