Sponsored by:

5.1 Question For ML Users

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 08:52 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
I managed to find someone at Harman Becker (the ML amp and speaker manufacturer) who told me that the digital input on the '07 - '09 amp has a throughput limitation, so while the system can do DD and DTS discretely in 5.1, DVD-A, with its much higher data rate, is mixed down to stereo. The 2010 amp, however, can now deliver discrete 5.1 from DVD-As.
I found the same information back in ott-6. The head unit in my GS was made by Pioneer, and it had only S/PDIF and 2-ch analog outputs. CD and DVD-V use the digital connection, and DVD-A, radio, etc, use analog.

You're also right that since video is locked out while driving, it's very inconvenient to operate the DVD player. It will play while driving--just no video or controls. So if you have the override installed, you might be interested to know that, assuming your head unit still works the way the '06 does, you can play the 5.1 discrete DVD-V lossy audio on those DVD-A discs. These instructions came from Harman:

1) Make sure that MLS is off by accessing the surround button via the DSP button. This will allow you to view the selected disc format in the title/group box

2) Insert DVD A and bring up the first screen by tapping the touch screen. Be sure that the emergency brake is set and the car is in park. Note--you can't do this while your driving!

3) Touch the upper right hand button, "page 2". This will bring you to the second screen.

4) Touch the lower left button on the second screen "search". This will bring you to the third screen.

5) Press the "+" button once to advance to group 2 of the disc.

6) Press "enter"

7) You should now be on screen 1 again. View the format in the box that is top row, second from the left to see what the format is...ex. Dolby Digital 3/2.1, DTS 3/2 etc.

8) You are looking for the group that provides true discrete 5.1. This will be either DTS 3/2 or DTS 3/2.1 or Dolby Digital 3/2.1.

But the ML’s equalization of multi-channel playback seems to be optimized for movie soundtrack playback -- the boominess that ruins music reproduction actually gives movie soundtracks greater impact. Is this ***-backwards, or what?
I, too, found the bass too plump, so I devised a minimally invasive way to fix it. A bit of effort and some cost, but it works great. A link in my signature goes to my posts about it. I don't bother with 5.1 discs--instead installed the Vaistech iPod adapter, and never looked back.
Old 05-18-10, 05:28 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dvd-a

Thanks for all the info and PM messages Bobsobi and Drexlex.

Bottom line is the creators of the DVD-A standard hurt widespread adoption by requiring DVD-A players to output discrete 5.1 sound via analog only (for a vast majority of systems). Same with my DVD-A at home. Fortunately my player at home produces 5.1 analog out and my amplifier accepts 5.1 analog input. The ML system on the Lexus only has 2 channel out and is therefore crippled.

Really not impressed with DD 5.1; DTS sounds marginally better but not available on some DVD-A's. My problem is not with the booming base but poor mid-range/center speaker sound and "tinny" lead vocals. Anyone else experience this? Anyone replace the center speaker?

I'm just glad I found this out on the few DVD-A's I have and didn't invest much in the way of new purchases. Spending my money on Vais Tech and Prestigious Society instead!

Last edited by ckelly14; 05-18-10 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 08:54 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The entire ML system should be revamped. The speakers themselves have fair accuracy at best. Parts of the spectrum are too boomy, other parts are too tinny and shallow. No amount of equalizing or "thousands of man hours" of tuning will help this as the speakers are of questionable accuracy.

They (ML/Lexus) should really start off at a SOLID base for their electronics and speakers. Longevity as well as quality rather than just trying to sell a nameplate.

I've never seen so many problems from an audio (ML) manufacturer with regards to their automotive audio/video system. Burnt out speakers, burnt out amps, inadequate parts quality...the list goes on.

I'd go in there and straighten out their act, but they definitely won't like me.
Old 05-18-10, 09:08 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Bottom line is the creators of the DVD-A standard hurt widespread adoption by requiring DVD-A players to output discrete 5.1 sound via analog only (for a vast majority of systems). Same with my DVD-A at home. Fortunately my player at home produces 5.1 analog out and my amplifier accepts 5.1 analog input. The ML system on the Lexus only has 2 channel out and is therefore crippled.
The biggest problem for high-resolution sound is the market. Consumers have spoken, and they prefer portability and convenience over accurate reproduction. Also, it's become a quaint practice to actually sit down and listen critically to music. But I look at the the resurgence in popularity that vinyl LPs are currently experiencing, and I can only hope that hi-rez formats will never truly die.

Really not impressed with DD 5.1; DTS sounds marginally better but not available on some DVD-A's. My problem is not with the booming base but poor mid-range/center speaker sound and "tinny" lead vocals. Anyone else experience this? Anyone replace the center speaker?
While the speakers aren't what you'd call high-end by any means, I'd venture to say that it's more a problem with the cabin acoustics.

This prompts me to point out another weakness of the ML system -- tone controls?? Is it too much to ask to include a multi-band (or better yet, parametric) equalizer? I guess it's those "thousands" of man-hours devoted to tuning the cabin -- who would possibly have the nerve to want to further tweak this "high-end" system's sound?? Me, for one!
Old 05-18-10, 12:41 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Bottom line is the creators of the DVD-A standard hurt widespread adoption by requiring DVD-A players to output discrete 5.1 sound via analog only (for a vast majority of systems). Same with my DVD-A at home.
The DVD-A format allows digital outputs, but only when HDCP encrypted. Many home players support DVD-A (and SACD) digital connections over HDMI--e.g., Oppo BDP-83. Unfortunately, while the sound quality is impeccible, the 5.1 mixes often are not, si I don't miss them in the car, especially as they often do not work well with off-center seating. They often ignore the center channel, so the imaging is not able to affected by the center speaker. On top of that, Harman decided (or neglected?) to use a different EQ for the 5.1 mode than for the L7 surround mode, with the latter sounding much better. It raises the suspicion in my mind that it was done to favor the L7 mode.

Really not impressed with DD 5.1; DTS sounds marginally better but not available on some DVD-A's. My problem is not with the booming bass but poor mid-range/center speaker sound and "tinny" lead vocals. Anyone else experience this? Anyone replace the center speaker?
I agree that the midrange EQ is pretty hard. I thought that might have been an unavoidable result of bouncing off the windshield, but then I heard the great surround systems in various Volvos and the Jaguar XF, and saw how much better an OEM system could be when tuned right. And to my ears, the PLII used in these systems is much smoother than Logic7's jerky steering.

Last edited by DrexLex; 05-18-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 04:58 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrexLex
And to my ears, the PLII used in these systems is much smoother than Logic7's jerky steering.
Not that a car interior is the ideal environment for critical listening, but personally I prefer to avoid any additional DSP. Even in my home, I almost always use the direct 5.1 listening mode when it comes to SACD and DVD-A program material.