Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

aftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 08:28 AM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp possible?

my recently purchased ls430 came with its mark levinson subwoofer blown (pretty typical on these cars). seems to be that an aftermarket 8" sub will fit perfectly in there. i know that the factory amps arent designed for aftermarket speakers so it wont sound as good.

my question is:

can i use the factory woofer's harness to connect a aftermarket amp to the aftermarket woofer using speaker level input AND be able to control the bass from the factory headunit?
Old 12-27-09, 10:15 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wildace
can i use the factory woofer's harness to connect a aftermarket amp to the aftermarket woofer using speaker level input AND be able to control the bass from the factory headunit?
Yes, you can. The speaker level voltage will be affected by the factory head, which will vary the voltage going into the amp. Keep in mind that it's quite a high level, so you may want to use a line output converter before the amp to prevent overdriving it. Most circuits are designed for speaker level inputs from factory radios that put out 10-15 watts, and the sub output is significantly more than that.

Big Mack
Old 12-27-09, 05:00 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have a sticky for this DIY, because a lot of members, including me is asking the same question. I'm used to install aftermarket audio pretty much hands on, but the ML unit is making me doubt.
Old 12-27-09, 07:05 PM
wildace
Pole Position

so for the line output converter i'll use something like this http://www.buy.com/prod/soundgate-xr.../90125943.html

if i want to install 2 amps for subs? might use a seperate box for more bass

I should have a sticky for this DIY, because a lot of members, including me is asking the same question. I'm used to install aftermarket audio pretty much hands on, but the ML unit is making me doubt.
what about the mark levinson sytem is making you doubt it? i would like to add a aftermarket amp because i read that the ML amp wont power aftermarket subs right. im not looking for glass shattering bass. just want to be able to listen to music without the farting noise of the factory blown sub lol.

p.s. i would like to add a single 12" solobaric in the trunk in addition to the ML sub replacement. im assuming i just use the same speaker wires for the ML sub for both amps?
Old 12-29-10, 04:04 PM
punkmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Default the solution

hey dont worry its not to hard to do i had the same problem with the ml system in my 02 es300 and after $300 down the drain trying to see what could work i finally found the solution heres what u gotta do. look for a audio shop that sells a audiocontrol lc2i this is a line out convertor but like other loc's this one can handle a very high signle(the other ones u get will melt) and is made to handle bass then all u need to get is a amp and sub i always racomend jl audio i have two 10" w1 here are some pic's of my setupaftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp possible?-phone-468.jpg[ATTACH]aftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp possible?-phone-481.jpg[/ATTACH]
i added a bass **** just so i had more control over the system and the lc2i offered the feature
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp possible?-phone-471.jpg