Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Volume Turns off when to high? Just put in a Kicker sub woofer... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 04:23 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume Turns off when to high? Just put in a Kicker sub woofer... HELP!

Hey guys I just put a new kicker comp cvr in my gs cause original sub was going bad. Now i have everything installed when i turn up the volume pretty loud my system stops playing and waits for me to turn down the volume. It is a 4 ohm sub with dual voice coils wired in parallel. I am using the stock amp and i do have mark levenson. Could it be my amp???
Thanks!
Old 12-18-09, 07:46 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Anybody please help
Old 12-18-09, 03:40 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheehan1p
Hey guys I just put a new kicker comp cvr in my gs cause original sub was going bad. Now i have everything installed when i turn up the volume pretty loud my system stops playing and waits for me to turn down the volume. It is a 4 ohm sub with dual voice coils wired in parallel. I am using the stock amp and i do have mark levenson. Could it be my amp???
Thanks!
It sounds like the stock amp is going into a protect mode. The stock sub is most likely a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, your Kicker when the voice coils are wired in parallel has an impedance of 2 ohms which will work the factory amp harder than it was designed to be. If your going to run that sub you will need a different amp, otherwise you may damage the factory amp.
Old 12-18-09, 06:23 PM
lexondubs
Rookie

or ur clipping the sub and its shutting down trying to save itself as said above ull need another amp that can even push that think to its potential
Old 12-20-09, 12:49 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6486
It sounds like the stock amp is going into a protect mode. The stock sub is most likely a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, your Kicker when the voice coils are wired in parallel has an impedance of 2 ohms which will work the factory amp harder than it was designed to be. If your going to run that sub you will need a different amp, otherwise you may damage the factory amp.
+1.

This is your answer. Stock amp cannot handle a 2 ohm load. If you must use the stock amp, wire the two voice coils in series for an 8 ohm load.