Sponsored by:

Nakimichi vs Mark Levinson?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 06:14 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nakimichi vs Mark Levinson?

I had the Nakimichi in my 93 SC400 which was incredible, but the 01 and up (GS) uses the Mark Levinson sound system. Is the ML as good or better than the Nak?
Old 05-04-02, 06:44 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ML system is a lot better, but thats because its newer and designed by Mark Levinson who makes home theatres.
Old 05-04-02, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

ML is definitely better. I wish I had it.
Old 05-04-02, 07:50 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

For the price you could buy aftermarket and blow ML away!!!
Old 05-04-02, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
For the price you could buy aftermarket and blow ML away!!!
I don't know that I agree with that.
Old 05-04-02, 08:27 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna

I don't know that I agree with that.
Its been done already!!! a couple of times. You should read the sound magazines. I think it was a pioneer system that out did it and it was about 650.00 cheaper!!!
Old 05-04-02, 09:21 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought my GS, I listened before to the two systems, side by side, same CDs playing. For the first phase, the tone controls were all set halfway and volume half way. The next phase involved adjusting the controls to system best as it suit me.

After hearing various selections some played over and over again, I concluded that for jazz and classical scores, there's no difference between the two systems. They sounded just about the same and very difficult to tell the difference.

They parted ways when it came to live pop concert. While the Nak still sounded great, the ML came out way clearer and with much better tonal qualities. The Nak sounded tinnier as compared with the ML. Live concert is tough on the systems since the vocals are on some occasions being drowned by the background noise from the audience. The ML managed to separate all those noise from the clean, warm sounding voice of the artist.

Compare the two systems above to my existing stereo (Pioneer-the one that came with the Nav), they're head and shoulders. Some people say it's about the same, I don't agree.
Old 05-04-02, 09:47 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but still either way they are awesome stock systems...

drew
Old 05-04-02, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Its been done already!!! a couple of times. You should read the sound magazines. I think it was a pioneer system that out did it and it was about 650.00 cheaper!!!
So you're saying you can get an aftermarket system installed for less than the ML option costs that's better? Is that installing it yourself or paying someone to do it?

If it's installing it yourself I could believe it more easily.
Old 05-04-02, 10:32 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

How much is the ML upgrade anyway...can't remember. Just hard to imagine an aftermarket stereo professionally installed, sounds better and $650 less...but I could be wrong.
Old 05-04-02, 10:46 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

OK, $1250 to upgrade to the ML...Pioneer systems that sounds better is $650 less = $600 Pioneer system that sounds better than the ML system? I guess that's possible.
Old 05-05-02, 05:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

It's likely always been possible to go aftermarket and do better, even when mfgrs began to see the profit potential from high end systems and began to install brand names with recognition from home audio.

But I don't have time to screw around with high fidelity (either home or auto) like I used to, so my home systems of Macintosh, Velodyne sub and ADS (downstairs), Denon and Klipsch (upstairs) have stayed the same for quite a while. And, likewise, it's nice to be able to have a system in your car that's very high in fidelity as well as, arguably, (but not very much) the best OEM auto sysem available without having to tear your interior out. Plus, you get service from the Lexus dealer (even if they merely pull and ship, it saves time going elsewhere) as opposed to Joe's Midnite Discount Car Stereo.

The ML is superior to the older Nakamichi, but not by a tremendous amount. I get to listen to both since I've got ML in the GS and Nak in the RX. But they are both head and shoulders above most OEM systems.
Old 05-05-02, 02:00 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

I like my ALPINE system the best.
Old 05-05-02, 03:39 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Have to defer to the people who have listened to them both but according to the Lexus New Car Features Book for 2k1, the nak was a completely different system while ML uses the stock head unit and Cd changer, only the amp and speakers are different.
Really don't know about the cost effectiveness but the aftermarket hasn't been sitting still either. Not sure if my ears can really distinguish any more but the effort and dollars spent upgrading the premium system (if that is what you are starting with) are well worth it. Leave it to Percy to really compare the system that results from following THE BOOK versus the factory setups. Either way, the Lexus is a great environment for as good a sound system as you can afford.
Old 05-05-02, 07:03 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

a better aftrmarket system for 600??? That sounds really cheap.

Quick Reply: Nakimichi vs Mark Levinson?