Sponsored by:

Big 3 upgrade on a GS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 11:50 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big 3 upgrade on a GS400

Can anyone tell me where the engine ground and chassis ground is on the GS400? I'm trying to figure out what length wires I need to perform a big 3 upgrade.
Old 09-08-09, 04:48 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grounded mine from the - battery to a spot on the top / left fender. (battery to chassis) You will see a bolt with something else is grounded to it. I made sure to grind the metal to make good contact. I then put a ground on the other fender about the same spot to a bolt located on the engine's left / front side. (chassis to block) I still have to do the + battery to alternator but plan on doing that when I swap the alternator out. It's a little tight to get to with everything still on. I also just used runs of battery cable from autozone. They were cheap and already had heavy duty crimps on both ends which made it easy.

I thought I saw the body ground the other day near the front of the car. It was a little dark but pretty sure I saw one. I will try to go out an look here in a sec while it's still daylight. I don't think it would be any issues as long as you have no ground loops.
Old 09-14-09, 02:34 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by magnetik
I grounded mine from the - battery to a spot on the top / left fender. (battery to chassis) You will see a bolt with something else is grounded to it. I made sure to grind the metal to make good contact. I then put a ground on the other fender about the same spot to a bolt located on the engine's left / front side. (chassis to block) I still have to do the + battery to alternator but plan on doing that when I swap the alternator out. It's a little tight to get to with everything still on. I also just used runs of battery cable from autozone. They were cheap and already had heavy duty crimps on both ends which made it easy.

I thought I saw the body ground the other day near the front of the car. It was a little dark but pretty sure I saw one. I will try to go out an look here in a sec while it's still daylight. I don't think it would be any issues as long as you have no ground loops.

how long was the wire you used for each connection?
Old 09-14-09, 11:38 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very intrested in doing the "Big 3" upgrade myself. Can someone go into more detail and add some pictures? Especially the "+" to the altnator. Also would 4 gage cable be ok for the job or is it overkill?
Old 09-15-09, 04:17 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigguppy
I am very intrested in doing the "Big 3" upgrade myself. Can someone go into more detail and add some pictures? Especially the "+" to the altnator. Also would 4 gage cable be ok for the job or is it overkill?
I'll be using 0 gauge! There is a guy selling ring terminated 0 gauge kits for cheap on the car audio forum.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422670

A good since they are already cut to length and ring terminated.
Old 09-16-09, 04:29 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I also have a question about big 3, a local audio shop told me to do a big 3 I have to get a new battery and bigger alternator and a few others. Is this true? no meaning to thread jack
Old 09-16-09, 04:49 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mtparker18
I also have a question about big 3, a local audio shop told me to do a big 3 I have to get a new battery and bigger alternator and a few others. Is this true? no meaning to thread jack
Big 3 can be done on stock equipment. The only time you need a larger alternator (which is only a 90amp weakling in our cars) is when you're using a large amp(s) that draw a lot of current. I'm planning on running some older class AB soundstream van gogh amps that are very power hungry, so I purchased a 200 amp alternator for my car. I will retain my stock battery and add a second in the trunk for audio.
Old 04-17-10, 11:31 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bumping an old thread
For anyone who done the BIG 3 upgrade can you kindly supply us w/ some pictures? I am looking to get this done for my GS 300 hopefully within the next couple of days and some visual images will help a lot.

thanks
Old 04-17-10, 07:03 PM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

Old 04-17-10, 09:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

^^ In the interest of safety, you should cover the terminals on your breaker. They make molded rubber covers for them for about $2. Cheap insurance.

Big Mack
Old 04-18-10, 01:13 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SWTGS
that is so clean
thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-03-10, 07:23 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SWTGS
how long were your cable runs?
Old 09-18-10, 06:15 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

I'm bumping a fairly old thread here but my question is, are there already big three wires in our cars that need to be pulled out before we add the upgraded wires or do we just add the additional upgraded wires to the existing system? In other words, am I pulling out anything to put in the Big 3?

Thanks
Old 09-18-10, 07:08 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by fenderzig
In other words, am I pulling out anything to put in the Big 3?

Thanks
No. Mo wire = mo betta.

Big Mack
Old 09-18-10, 07:41 AM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Thanks Big, somehow I figured it'd be you who chimed it

Quick Reply: Big 3 upgrade on a GS400