Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 06:32 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
When it comes to car radios I like the old stuff, just easier to work, I like ***** especially for the volume.

krbrabeck I'm with you on the search deal. I am amazed how it can't even find some posts I have done.
Its just so simple for a person to just say what it is, rather than waste the time and effort to say "search it".
It wasn't even a matter of having to search though, the answer was pretty much in the first paragraph of the first post! But whatever.
Old 10-19-16, 03:33 PM
krbrabeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
LOL quite frankly, if you don't want to go through all 38 pages of this thread to look, how about reading the first few sentences of the very first post:
Well, actually I did read it, but I'm failing to see how that helps me...
I'm well aware that the first post of the thread says it doesn't work for Nakamichi, but I wasn't asking if the instructions work for a Nakamichi. I can read. I was asking if anyone in this massive thread has done it, or can at least link me to the post. Thanks for at least giving a half-assed attempt at being funny by teaching me how to use a forum, but I won't need any help in that area.

If anyone sees this and wants to point me in the right direction, that would be awesome!
Old 10-19-16, 03:35 PM
krbrabeck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raine
It wasn't even a matter of having to search though, the answer was pretty much in the first paragraph of the first post! But whatever.
Raine, with you being the original poster of this thread, I'd like to know how this is possible? I'm not asking you for help, I'm asking if anyone has seen something for a Nakamichi head unit before. I've read the first few pages of this thread and I'm not really getting how the first post helps me at all. All your first post says is that it only works for a Pioneer head unit, and I get that. I'm not asking you if these instructions will work, but if you know where I can find any. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by krbrabeck; 10-19-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 04:17 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Right well people take things way too seriously on the Internet. Whatever - moving along...

...the only reply I can give you is this:

I almost do remember someone posting in this thread something about what they did differently for a Nakamichi system. I can't tell you what post #, I can't even tell you if I'm imagining this at all because we're 500+ posts deep over the course of 7 years. So the reality of it is this: if there's info in this thread about what to do differently for a Nakamichi, you are going to have to search for it by reading through the thread - that's what it's here for.

So good luck, I hope you find the info you are looking for... or someone over the course of the last 7 years other than me decides to chime in this thread.
Old 05-01-17, 06:24 PM
tonysc400
Pole Position

Bumping this thread ,is there any easier way to do this?
Old 05-01-17, 11:44 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonysc400
Bumping this thread ,is there any easier way to do this?
Yeah, change everything
Old 05-02-17, 05:35 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

instead of me keeping the stock amp, get a aftermarket amp? currently I have a pioneer stock radio in the car will be removing it in favor for a pioneer double din and a newer style climate cluster lxcc I believe
Old 05-02-17, 10:47 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonysc400
instead of me keeping the stock amp, get a aftermarket amp? currently I have a pioneer stock radio in the car will be removing it in favor for a pioneer double din and a newer style climate cluster lxcc I believe
If you can swing it then yeah... if you don't want to do this whole job, get an aftermarket amp and replace the OEM speakers so that you have all aftermarket and a much better setup overall
Old 12-15-17, 05:43 AM
idp1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powering aftermarket Amp wire question

Raine - thanks for a wonderful article. I am going to use your DIY to replace HU & blown Nakamichi in my 92 SC400 and have a question about power to trunk for amp. I saw some users running dedicated power cable to after market amp in trunk to replace stock amp. But do you think I can get away with using 1 of the 2 power leads in the stock harnesses coming into trunk to power up my after market amp? I see you are using signal lead from HU to wake up your sub woofer amp...I am thinking of using power lead as well for my amp. Appreciate the help if anyone can chip in although I addressed the question to Raine. What I mean is there are at least 2 power leads coming into trunk - 1 for CD changer & 2 for Nak amp.
Old 12-15-17, 10:35 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

1. As far as Nakamichi goes, just to cover all the bases please read #1 in the first post.

2. If you're installing an aftermarket amp to replace the stock amp, then most of this thread doesn't apply anyways aside from where to access the speaker outputs. And yes, IMO install an aftermarket the right way - with its own power cable and ground.
Old 12-15-17, 11:04 AM
idp1
Rookie

So here is what I am planning to do using DIY posts from Raine, 1997 SC300, kponti etc other members who are inspiration and basis for my attempt.

My DIY on 1992 SC400 goals:
  1. Replace stock Nakamichi head unit with after market HU - JVC KW-V40BT.
  2. Replace blown stock Nakamichi amp with aftermarket Kenwood KAC-7005PS Performance Series 5-Channel Amp to power 4 stock speakers & stock Sub.
  3. Remove stock CD changer (already sold on ebay)
Planned steps:

Hook up new HU using stock Nak HU A harness as per Raine.
1. Splice stock Nak HU harness A as indicated by Raine for following connections. This should take care of new HU basic connections
A1 - connect to ANTENNA wire
A2 - connect to DIMMER wire (a.k.a.ILLUMINATION)
A3 - connect to ACC wire (12v+ switched)
A3 - OPTIONAL connect to 18ga single wire
A4 – connect to POWER/BATTERY wire (12v+ constant a.k.a. memory)
A8 - connect to ANTENNA wire
A11 - connect to GROUND wire (-) OR dedicated Ground from HU to Chasis as suggested
2. Install new 5 channed amp in trunk replacing stock amp & CD changer (already have the mod bracket - more details, pics etc when I am done)
a. Splice & connect 'B' harness on stock Nak Amp - 8 leads going to 4 speakers - to 8 post-amp outs from new Amp.b. Run 3 sets of paired RCA audio cables from 2 speaker & 1 sub pre-amp outs of new HU to trunk and connect to pre-amp ins of new Amp. Use 2 sets of PAC SNI-1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator at new HU for signal noise cancellation - precautionary.
c. Run dedicated power from Battery to new Amp.
d. Run dedicated amp turn-on wire from new HU to trunk and connect to amp turn on in on new Amp.
e. Ground new Amp to chasis in Trunk.
f. Splice & connect 'C' harness on stock Nak Amp - C10 (+ve) & C9 (-ve) leads - to 2 sub outs on new Amp.
This is so far theory except - 1) junking stock Nak amp, 2) ebay sale of stock CD changer & 3) Modifying stock amp bracket to receive new Kenwoord Amp. I am going to follow forum DIY posts as well as an ebay article ( will give due credits when I put together my DIY post after successful execution) when executing - waiting for frigid temperatures to go up in CT.

If you guys see any issue or notice any incorrect step, highly appreciate if you can jump in and help. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-17, 11:06 AM
idp1
Rookie

Hm, Thanks Raine... I just saw your reply before posting my 'grandiose theoretical plan' above. Appreciate the response.
Old 12-15-17, 11:26 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by idp1;10056284Replace blown stock Nakamichi amp with aftermarket [url=https://www.walmart.com/ip/24458370
Kenwood KAC-7005PS Performance Series 5-Channel Amp[/url] to power 4 stock speakers & stock Sub.
That's a simple and quick way to blow out your stock speakers.

I have a better suggestion/plan for you:

1. Install aftermarket HU (again, you're vehicle had a Nakamichi stock so you're on your own with wiring)
2. Instead of spending $220 on the amp and ground loop isolators (not needed, if you have ground noisse then the problem is somewhere in the installation), buy yourself a set of aftermarket speakers to fit in the doors and rear deck. You can get a decent set of Polk, Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer coaxials for that price to cover all 4 locations.
3. Use the aftermarket HU's built-in amp, wire directly to the door/rear deck speakers with new speaker wire. (meaning bypass the whole OEM wiring completely)
4. Save some cash for an aftermarket powered subwoofer in the trunk, when you get it remove the OEM subwoofer to have a vent for the bass to pass through into the cabin.
Old 12-15-17, 12:05 PM
idp1
Rookie

Hm... I already bought the Amp & GL isolators: too late I guess. You think I can't lower the power out on Kenwood Amp? I guess I will have to budget for new speakers as well.
Old 12-15-17, 12:15 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by idp1
Hm... I already bought the Amp & GL isolators: too late I guess. You think I can't lower the power out on Kenwood Amp? I guess I will have to budget for new speakers as well.
Well sure, you can turn the gain down on the Kenwood amp until you get new speakers... kind of a waste though, because you already had a 4-channel amp built into your HU; The JVC is 22-watts x 4, more than enough to crank the sound loud from the door/rear deck. Wiringg up to a 50-watt x 4 in the Kenwood amp won't realistically make a difference compared to the JVC, because on paper it's double the power but in the real world it's not double the sound output.

Always budget for speakers. Good car audio requires 3 basic parts: a good source, power, and capable speakers. You're already good with step 1 and 2, so you just need to finish the job the right way.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!