Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 11:53 PM
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
It doesn't work with the Nak system, the Nak setup is wired differently. Some of the speaker wire stuff might work (like the harness colors) but in the 3 years that this thread has been up, no one who actually tried got it to work with the Nak setup. Sorry
i have the naks system, i did this wiring and everything works great, only thing is im having trouble is the sub im not sure where or which plug is the G harness, once i figure it out ill let u guys know. if anyone can help me out with the sub issue pls thanks

Last edited by sc4lex00; 10-20-13 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 02:59 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc4lex00
i have the naks system, i did this wiring and everything works great, only thing is im having trouble is the sub im not sure where or which plug is the G harness, once i figure it out ill let u guys know. if anyone can help me out with the sub issue pls thanks
I think that this was really the only issue with the Nak system, the subwoofer and THAT is what no one has been able to resolve yet.
Old 10-27-13, 03:04 PM
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
I think that this was really the only issue with the Nak system, the subwoofer and THAT is what no one has been able to resolve yet.
I think the best way is just to go aftermarket amps and sub
Old 10-28-13, 06:45 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the factory sub.
Old 10-28-13, 08:10 PM
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc4hunnit
You can use the factory sub.
How do u it? For the naks system?
Old 11-21-13, 05:17 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS THIS THREAD FOR YOU?

For reference, this thread is for SC300/SC400 owners who wish to:

1. Replace their factory head unit with an aftermarket one.
2. DO use your factory speakers.
3. DO use your factory subwoofer.
4. DO use your factory amplifiers (main amp and sub amp)
4. Do NOT want to install a separate amp for the main speakers.
5. Do NOT install a separate amp for the subwoofer.
It's great to see these DIY guides and all the effort put in.
I would change the position
4. DO use your factory amplifiers (main amp and sub amp) into 4. DO use your factory sub amplifier, since this tutorial bypasses the main amp.

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-21-13, 09:11 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MGa
It's great to see these DIY guides and all the effort put in.
I would change the position
4. DO use your factory amplifiers (main amp and sub amp) into 4. DO use your factory sub amplifier, since this tutorial bypasses the main amp.

Keep up the good work!
That's been like that forever and II guess no one even noticed until now LOL

fixed
Old 12-06-13, 01:46 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

well ive been working on this today to install my new head unit. very valuable thread and I thank you OP. here are a couple things ive found.

1. I preferred to run my speaker wires through the center console along the transmission tunnel to the back seat rather than tear up the passenger side trim. snaking it under the carpet was a little tricky, but I didnt have to remove any additional parts that werent coming out anyways.

2. when I got to the trunk and took out the cd changer, I found this:

wheres the oem amp?!

oh wait, found it

Old 12-07-13, 12:07 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
well ive been working on this today to install my new head unit. very valuable thread and I thank you OP. here are a couple things ive found.

1. I preferred to run my speaker wires through the center console along the transmission tunnel to the back seat rather than tear up the passenger side trim. snaking it under the carpet was a little tricky, but I didnt have to remove any additional parts that werent coming out anyways.
You could run the speaker wires down the tunnel (nothing wrong with that)... when I wrote the HT I did plan on the passenger side parts coming off since I was wiring other stuff too at the same time (EDFC, etc.) and I wanted to be able to get to those wires if there were any issues without having to pull the passenger seat/center console out
Old 02-26-14, 08:22 PM
SC300T1
Driver School Candidate

I'm batman

Came across this thread on a random google search for a diagram, read the thread and hoped I had a pioneer unit which i did! You are a goddamn super hero Raine.
Old 02-26-14, 09:07 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC300T1
Came across this thread on a random google search for a diagram, read the thread and hoped I had a pioneer unit which i did! You are a goddamn super hero Raine.
Old 03-03-14, 06:34 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, thank you for the guide.

I did this on my 97 SC w/ 12 disc changer and got everything working the first time.

However-

I don't understand the importance (in my case) of section I regarding the subwoofer amp and antenna.

My Pioneer DEH-80PRS keeps the antenna up whenever it's on no matter the source (as far as I know,I could be wrong). The subwoofer also works on all inputs.

So why do I need to bother with section I and splicing those wires? I ran the RCA cable from Radio Shack into the +/- on harness D and I get a solid sub signal and the antenna works. I kinda wish the antenna would go down when the headunit is on Aux/BT/USB but I can deal with it.

Last edited by ISFFUN; 03-03-14 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 08:47 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
First off, thank you for the guide.

I did this on my 97 SC w/ 12 disc changer and got everything working the first time.

However- I don't understand the importance (in my case) of section I regarding the subwoofer amp and antenna.
well...

...I kinda wish the antenna would go down when the headunit is on...
Old 03-03-14, 09:55 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I follow your logic, but there's no communication between the head unit and the factory amp. It's just a line out that's on for all sources. It (the aftermarket headunit) doesn't turn the amp (blue/white wire) power off when I go to CD. It doesn't have a blue antenna wire AND a blue/white remote power- only a remote power.

Last edited by ISFFUN; 03-03-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 10:30 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

I follow your logic, but there's no communication between the head unit and the factory amp. It's just a line out that's on for all sources. It (the aftermarket headunit) doesn't turn the amp (blue/white wire) power off when I go to CD. It doesn't have a blue antenna wire AND a blue/white remote power- only a remote power.
Ah I see what you're saying... I guess it may be a combo of wires A1 and A8 at the head unit harness) AND the splice trick at the sub amp combined that makes the antenna function as it's supposed to (up when radio, down when anything else) - provided, as you said, that the aftermarket head unit has a dedicated antenna wire.

Anyhow, if you can deal with the antenna up all the time, no worries on your end.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!