Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Old 08-01-13, 10:21 AM   #466
RicoLSX
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Thanks creating this thread!

I ordered my deck last week having only read the the thread on the how-to DIN install (hybrid Metra/factory mounts) so I ordered the Metra wiring harness as well only to plug it in Tuesday at close to midnight to find no power up of the deck

I did some googling and came across this thread Tuesday night, so yesterday I bought the all the items necessary and went at it. I was successful in getting all the speakers to work along with the sub and power antenna. I also used that optional ground off the chassis to wire up two ground cables to a relay for the e-brake bypass for my Pioneer X950BH.

Only warning I have is after 16+ years of baking in the sun the ABS plastic sub grill didn't like being pulled up on! It broke in quite a few places so I had bust out the good ol' duct tape to give it from structure again LOL.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
RicoLSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 10:47 AM   #467
raine
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLSX View Post
Thanks creating this thread!

I ordered my deck last week having only read the the thread on the how-to DIN install (hybrid Metra/factory mounts) so I ordered the Metra wiring harness as well only to plug it in Tuesday at close to midnight to find no power up of the deck

I did some googling and came across this thread Tuesday night, so yesterday I bought the all the items necessary and went at it. I was successful in getting all the speakers to work along with the sub and power antenna. I also used that optional ground off the chassis to wire up two ground cables to a relay for the e-brake bypass for my Pioneer X950BH.

Only warning I have is after 16+ years of baking in the sun the ABS plastic sub grill didn't like being pulled up on! It broke in quite a few places so I had bust out the good ol' duct tape to give it from structure again LOL.
Followed everything to the t?
Old 08-02-13, 06:40 PM   #468
RicoLSX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raine View Post
Followed everything to the t?
Sure did! I didn't use the home audio wiring though, I bought a 100' spool from Radio Shack (other option was a 50ft). I used the remote on for the pink wires (power antenna) so I ran the 18ga lead from the grey/red for the rear sub.
RicoLSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 02:20 AM   #469
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLSX View Post
Sure did! I didn't use the home audio wiring though, I bought a 100' spool from Radio Shack (other option was a 50ft). I used the remote on for the pink wires (power antenna) so I ran the 18ga lead from the grey/red for the rear sub.
cool deal man, glad it worked out!
Old 09-04-13, 12:51 PM   #470
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Send a message via AIM to DIrEctQL

So much drama over Metra harness. First off, it does work but ...

1. Ground the stereo to the body. Don't use the ground from the harness because you'll get noise.
2. There are two power antenna wires and two antenna connections (FM and AM). The stock radio flips one of the power antennas for FM and the other for AM. You'll most likely use FM with your aftermarket headunit so you'll use only the top power antenna wire in your harness.

Also, per Metra dash kit. You must use the metallic bracket, because it's used to hold the whole center console in place. Without it, the center console will get wobbly and make all kinds of creaking noises.
Old 09-22-13, 04:17 AM   #471
hask
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for this great post, I follow the instructions, every thing work fine, however one thing is remaining which is the antenna, the reception a bit not clear as the OEM pioneer radio, I connect A1 with A8, the antenna goes up and down but once I switch the radio off, I hear a spark sound from the speakers, I disconnect A1 from A8, the spark sound goes (still connecting A1), and the antenna goes up and down without spark sound . but is it the cause of low quality radio reception? or I should connect the "diversity antenna" ?? because I use only the big antenna connection.

Thanks
hask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:19 PM   #472
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post
Thank you very much for this great post, I follow the instructions, every thing work fine, however one thing is remaining which is the antenna, the reception a bit not clear as the OEM pioneer radio, I connect A1 with A8, the antenna goes up and down but once I switch the radio off, I hear a spark sound from the speakers, I disconnect A1 from A8, the spark sound goes (still connecting A1), and the antenna goes up and down without spark sound . but is it the cause of low quality radio reception? or I should connect the "diversity antenna" ?? because I use only the big antenna connection.

Thanks
IIRC I used a Y-adaptor I bought at an auto parts store that combined both antennas, not getting any of the issues you are having... maybe that'll solve your problem?
Old 10-07-13, 01:13 AM   #473
nxrunner
Driver School Candidate

I have the pioneer sub amp out of asc300 / sc400. I can not figure out which is the power wire, ground, and low line inputs. Can you pleas complete thediagram you have listed on the firs page so I may use this amp in a different vehicle/setup. Thanks
nxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 01:20 PM   #474
1CleanSC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrEctQL View Post
So much drama over Metra harness. First off, it does work but ...

1. Ground the stereo to the body. Don't use the ground from the harness because you'll get noise.
2. There are two power antenna wires and two antenna connections (FM and AM). The stock radio flips one of the power antennas for FM and the other for AM. You'll most likely use FM with your aftermarket headunit so you'll use only the top power antenna wire in your harness.

Also, per Metra dash kit. You must use the metallic bracket, because it's used to hold the whole center console in place. Without it, the center console will get wobbly and make all kinds of creaking noises.
Question, after I did the sub amp wiring (along with everything else using the METRA kit) my radio antenna rises even if I'm not using the radio. Can anyone provide any help with that? My head unit is the new Pioneer APPRADIO 3.
However, when it comes to completing the sub amp / radio antenna wiring there was no METRA harness used if you follow this thread. So this is why I'm confused and wondering if anyone can provide assistance with this problem. Thanks!
1CleanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 03:05 PM   #475
DIrEctQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanSC View Post
Question, after I did the sub amp wiring (along with everything else using the METRA kit) my radio antenna rises even if I'm not using the radio. Can anyone provide any help with that? My head unit is the new Pioneer APPRADIO 3.
However, when it comes to completing the sub amp / radio antenna wiring there was no METRA harness used if you follow this thread. So this is why I'm confused and wondering if anyone can provide assistance with this problem. Thanks!
After market stereos either have the antenna on wire or they don't. Pioneers don't which is why antenna is out whenever the radio is on. Can't do anything about it.
Old 10-13-13, 10:40 PM   #476
1CleanSC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrEctQL View Post
After market stereos either have the antenna on wire or they don't. Pioneers don't which is why antenna is out whenever the radio is on. Can't do anything about it.
Damn, that really sucks. I might just disconnect the wire so that it never goes up. The radio antenna makes that car look awful when it's up in my opinion.
1CleanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 05:55 AM   #477
DIrEctQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CleanSC View Post
Damn, that really sucks. I might just disconnect the wire so that it never goes up. The radio antenna makes that car look awful when it's up in my opinion.
You could install a low profile antenna and install it somewhere off sight. That's what I'm in the process of doing.
Old 10-14-13, 06:31 PM   #478
sc4hunnit
Driver

I have a Nakamichi system and I did a bunch of wire running, speaker swapping and then some. As far as wiring up my new unit (pioneer 4500BT) I used the Metra harness with the RCA's on it. Whilst using the factory Nakamichi system, all speakers played, when I then switched the head unit and used that Metra harness, the sound was nowhere near the factory setup. There was also a very annoying pooping sound when I'd turn on/off the radio/car. My solution for that was a double ground. I used the ground from the harness and I then grounded that ground to the chassis. No more popping noise.

Weeks go by and I canít stand the crappy sound so I hooked up a Memphis 600w 4 channel amp. I used the connector from the Nakamichi amplifier to figure out what speaker was which by using the write up on the first page for the pioneer amp. It's not exact but its close and I figured it out. After getting all the wires hooked up to the new Memphis amplifier, there was sound. It was good and clear.... for like a half hour... The amp would get INSANELY HOT within 5 minutes of low volume music. I then realized that one of my tweeters were simply toast. Toasted to the point where I could see the plastic bubbling from the speakers leads! I proceeded to then disconnect both tweeters. The amp was still getting hot! I couldn't understand! I then hard wired the front speakers; (by using the factory plug outside of the speaker pod.) the amp was still getting hot. I then separated the speaker pod. Inside of there is the capacitor for the tweeter. The strange thing is though, the input wires go into the tweeter first it seems and then to your driver. I removed that crossover, installed a set of component tweeters, got rid of the 4" and mounted a 5.25" inch speaker inside. Totally different sound afterwards! And as far as the amplifier, nice and cool! Next to be replaced are the rear speakers.

I was also able to use the factory subwoofer as well. I did that with a Kenwood Excelon 5ch amp. The gain did have to be set low but it worked and sounded way better than it did using the Metra harness on the factory Nakamichi amp.
I hope this might help anyone.
Old 10-19-13, 11:46 AM   #479
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4hunnit View Post
I have a Nakamichi system and I did a bunch of wire running, speaker swapping and then some. As far as wiring up my new unit (pioneer 4500BT) I used the Metra harness with the RCA's on it. Whilst using the factory Nakamichi system, all speakers played, when I then switched the head unit and used that Metra harness, the sound was nowhere near the factory setup. There was also a very annoying pooping sound when I'd turn on/off the radio/car. My solution for that was a double ground. I used the ground from the harness and I then grounded that ground to the chassis. No more popping noise.

Weeks go by and I canít stand the crappy sound so I hooked up a Memphis 600w 4 channel amp. I used the connector from the Nakamichi amplifier to figure out what speaker was which by using the write up on the first page for the pioneer amp. It's not exact but its close and I figured it out. After getting all the wires hooked up to the new Memphis amplifier, there was sound. It was good and clear.... for like a half hour... The amp would get INSANELY HOT within 5 minutes of low volume music. I then realized that one of my tweeters were simply toast. Toasted to the point where I could see the plastic bubbling from the speakers leads! I proceeded to then disconnect both tweeters. The amp was still getting hot! I couldn't understand! I then hard wired the front speakers; (by using the factory plug outside of the speaker pod.) the amp was still getting hot. I then separated the speaker pod. Inside of there is the capacitor for the tweeter. The strange thing is though, the input wires go into the tweeter first it seems and then to your driver. I removed that crossover, installed a set of component tweeters, got rid of the 4" and mounted a 5.25" inch speaker inside. Totally different sound afterwards! And as far as the amplifier, nice and cool! Next to be replaced are the rear speakers.

I was also able to use the factory subwoofer as well. I did that with a Kenwood Excelon 5ch amp. The gain did have to be set low but it worked and sounded way better than it did using the Metra harness on the factory Nakamichi amp.
I hope this might help anyone.
Good to see you have something working, though you went way beyond just a head unit install
Old 10-20-13, 11:41 PM   #480
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

Default help pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurySC400 View Post
Now that I think of it, I could be wrong about the original amp not powering the F&R speakers along with the subwoofer. Perhaps you are actually right, and this one amp powered F&R and the subwoofers in 1992 SCs, rather than having a separate amp for the subwoofer as in later SCs.

hi furySc400 im new here and i did my research, i might have miss it, but can u help me out pls
i have the same set up all my speaker and headunit (i have a boss double din deck) is working fine at the moment except the sub. im not sure how to connect it to get ti working
i have the 93 sc400
thanks
sc4lex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 11:41 PM

Tags
1996, aftermarket, amp, amplifier, connect, head, install, kenwood, lexus, remove, sc300, sc400, subwoofer, unit, vent