Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Old 05-20-13, 06:24 PM
Kiid328
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that only the radio with the cd changer had an amp to power the speakers and the radio without the cd changer only had an amp for the sub?
Old 05-21-13, 12:27 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiid328
I was under the impression that only the radio with the cd changer had an amp to power the speakers and the radio without the cd changer only had an amp for the sub?
Not sure about that... but that's also a different setup than what's in the HT
Old 05-22-13, 05:33 AM
allankhour
Driver School Candidate

Default The Easiest Way To Get This Setup Going

I found a combination that works well and will only take an hour and half to 2 hours to install. Use the Metra Kit, With Two Ground Loop Isolater filters For the front and rear line level outputs pairs. Use this guide to make the subwoofer line level output, and everything will work perfect and with no ignition noise and with control of your subwoofer volume and with out having to rewire the speakers or take out the factory amp. Unlike the guide I just tapped into the subwoofer signal wire but did not severe them so the system can be returned to stock very seamlessly. So Glad I experimented.
Old 05-26-13, 05:26 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree. i used the metra kit. but holy smokes that noise is redonkulous. im gonna jump on ebay and grab a pair of those isolators.

not that i'd reverse to stock. but i dont like cutting up harnesses either.
Old 06-13-13, 02:33 PM
99sc300gte
Driver School Candidate

Have a question for the stereo guys. I re did all the wiring to he speakers like the write up. Have full power but no sound...here's the catch; if I take the connector on the back of the deck and loosen it almost until the end the speakers will randomly turn on. All speakers work buy wiggling the connector ( while loose) to each side...fully clipped in and have zero sound...never seen this before in my life. Any ideas?
Old 06-25-13, 11:34 PM
sp00n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by allankhour
I found a combination that works well and will only take an hour and half to 2 hours to install. Use the Metra Kit, With Two Ground Loop Isolater filters For the front and rear line level outputs pairs. Use this guide to make the subwoofer line level output, and everything will work perfect and with no ignition noise and with control of your subwoofer volume and with out having to rewire the speakers or take out the factory amp. Unlike the guide I just tapped into the subwoofer signal wire but did not severe them so the system can be returned to stock very seamlessly. So Glad I experimented.
More on this!
Old 06-26-13, 01:44 PM
JZZ30ger
Rookie

Great write up. Worked for me. Except the subwoofer. It won't work because I don't have the subwoofer plug in my dash. And I discovered that I don't have an amp on my rear deck.
I used to have a double din head unit the previous owner installed. With that thing the sub worked. But I ripped everything out a few months ago and had no radio installed.
Don't know how the sub was connected. I threw the old head unit out because it had a lot of engine noises and so on.
The noises are away at least.
Old 06-28-13, 06:02 PM
camelbrush
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second time thread has saved me life today. Thanks for the amazing hardwork in writing this up.
Finally fixed my radio antennae go auto up and down.
Thanks a lot buddy.
Old 07-01-13, 03:14 PM
allankhour
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sp00n
More on this!
What did you want to know?
Old 07-06-13, 05:41 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wanted to do the sub woofer thing on my car. but it sounds really good with just mids and highs. wiring up the woofer sounded like too much trouble. and with a pioneer double din with nav and hd radio, 2 ground loop isolators, gps antenna wires, rear reverse camera, bluetooth mic wire. its a cluster fawk behind there. I literally had to shove that radio in there to bolt it down.

and i dont even have the USB and AUX-in cable hooked up to my radio. that was missing.
Old 07-09-13, 04:03 PM
Gee44
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Depth of SC300 Pioneer Radio

I looking to replace the head unit in my 99 SC300 as well but wanted to know if anyone knows the depth of the head unit (have height and width)? I'm also thinking about relocating the radio and needs this dimension.

Thanks for your help....

Gee
Old 07-10-13, 04:46 AM
johnwen
Driver School Candidate

the detail is great.. it must be very helpful.. thanks for your sharing
Old 07-27-13, 04:48 AM
DeeJayJimi
Driver School Candidate

I just want to say THANK YOU for this write up... It's been helpful and GREAT JOB Bro...
Old 07-31-13, 10:52 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gee44
I looking to replace the head unit in my 99 SC300 as well but wanted to know if anyone knows the depth of the head unit (have height and width)? I'm also thinking about relocating the radio and needs this dimension.

Thanks for your help....

Gee
Any double-DIN should fit the stock location if you're using the Metra dash kit. It's just a matter of arranging the wires in the back
Old 07-31-13, 10:53 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnwen
the detail is great.. it must be very helpful.. thanks for your sharing
Originally Posted by DeeJayJimi
I just want to say THANK YOU for this write up... It's been helpful and GREAT JOB Bro...

Someone posted a way to do it with isolators and filters... which should work fine unless you start upgrading stuff later on down the line. the original method is totally upgradable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!