Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 01:30 PM
DT2JZLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where im i running my amp turn on wire from?? read this whole thread and still dont get it?? got everything else working but the amp and sub??

Last edited by DT2JZLEX; 01-25-13 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 04:14 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DTSC400
where im i running my amp turn on wire from?? read this whole thread and still dont get it?? got everything else working but the amp and sub??
First page, under step B:

NOTE 2: If your new head unit has an amp turn-on wire, extend it by connecting one end of the single 18ga wire in the parts list.
If your head unit DOES NOT have an amp turn-on wire, connect one end of the 15-foot 18-ga. wire in the parts list to A3.
Old 02-05-13, 04:15 PM
DT2JZLEX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raine
First page, under step B:
got it Raine!
Old 02-27-13, 01:59 PM
ramblux
Rookie

Awesome thread - I learned a few tricks for sure while installing my head unit this past week.

I do have to add that for the few SCs that came from the factory with a Pioneeer head unit but WITHOUT a CD changer, the Metra '87+ Toyota harness works just fine since those systems use only one external amp to drive the sub. In fact, I used two of the Metra harnesses on my install - one set for the door and rear shelf speakers, and a second set to plug into the factory amp/antenna plug, which also uses a 10-pin connector. You only need to connect three wires on that plug - one to power the amp, and two for the antenna (the third antenna wire is on one of the other plugs, and all of them get spliced together via the antenna/amp turn on wire.

Absolutely ZERO splicing necessary on cars without a factory CD changer - I could completely remove my Pioneer head unit and put the stock one back in without any trace if I wanted to, and the factory sub also works!

Thanks, raine.
Old 02-27-13, 04:04 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ramblux
Awesome thread - I learned a few tricks for sure while installing my head unit this past week.

I do have to add that for the few SCs that came from the factory with a Pioneeer head unit but WITHOUT a CD changer, the Metra '87+ Toyota harness works just fine since those systems use only one external amp to drive the sub. In fact, I used two of the Metra harnesses on my install - one set for the door and rear shelf speakers, and a second set to plug into the factory amp/antenna plug, which also uses a 10-pin connector. You only need to connect three wires on that plug - one to power the amp, and two for the antenna (the third antenna wire is on one of the other plugs, and all of them get spliced together via the antenna/amp turn on wire.

Absolutely ZERO splicing necessary on cars without a factory CD changer - I could completely remove my Pioneer head unit and put the stock one back in without any trace if I wanted to, and the factory sub also works!

Thanks, raine.
No prob.

Um - not sure if you worded that wrong, but there's only one external amp driving the sub - with OR without a CD changer. The changer has nothing to do with why a standard aftermarket head unit install isn't simple in the SC - it's because of the outboard amplifier and the common ground setup between pairs of OEM speakers pduring the pre-amp phase
Old 02-27-13, 04:26 PM
ramblux
Rookie

I guess I may have worded it incorrectly. What I meant to say is that the factory sound system in a non-CD changer equipped SC only uses one external amp, which powers the sub.

And I beg to differ on the relevance of the presence of a factory CD changer. If an SC didn't come with a CD changer, it also didn't have a second external amp, which is why that's relevant.

No factory CD changer = no "main" amp = no common ground = simple plug-in install.

It's true that the changer itself has nothing to do with the complexity of the install, but it is certainly an easy indicator of whether or not your car can use a standard harness adapter.
Old 02-27-13, 04:31 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I may have worded it incorrectly. What I meant to say is that the factory sound system in a non-CD changer equipped SC only uses one external amp, which powers the sub.

And I beg to differ on the relevance of the presence of a factory CD changer. If an SC didn't come with a CD changer, it also didn't have a second external amp, which is why that's relevant.

No factory CD changer = no "main" amp = no common ground = simple plug-in install.

It's true that the changer itself has nothing to do with the complexity of the install, but it is certainly an easy indicator of whether or not your car can use a standard harness adapter.
Interesting... question - when you say "non-CD changer equipped" do you mean same head unit, just no CD changer in the trunk? Or is it a completely different head unit compared to the specific one I show in the very first post of this thread? (this one, shown below

Old 02-27-13, 04:44 PM
ramblux
Rookie

Different head unit. Looks almost identical except there is no "CD" button.

Old 02-27-13, 05:02 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Different head unit. Looks almost identical except there is no "CD" button.

Okay then... because:

Originally Posted by raine
COMPATIBILITY NOTES (PLEASE READ!!)
...my how-to should be compatible with all 1992-1998 SC300/SC400 that has the Pioneer double DIN factory head unit (radio/cassette/CD CHANGER).
good info though for those who don't have the factory CD changer head unit, which this thread is based on
Old 03-04-13, 08:36 AM
DarkSC300
Driver School Candidate

Any word on the Nak systems?
Old 03-13-13, 06:05 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic, but I too have a pioneer unit without an antenna wire. Does anyone have a fix to make the antenna actuate the way it should without the signal wire?
Old 03-13-13, 08:54 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a problem I hope someone can help me solve. I got power to my aftermarket amp and everything is correctly connected trust me I must have checked like 10 times and so did my helper. Still no sound coming from my aftermarket sub.

Before attempting the aftermarket amp/sub, I had everything wired to the OEM amp and sub. What am I missing? I'm going nuts. The amp powers up with its light and all...just NO SOUND from the aftermarket sub, only the OEM sub is working along with all other speakers.
Old 03-15-13, 12:47 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarkSC300
Any word on the Nak systems?
been busy sorry about that... but I WILL get to it this weekend and post in here if I need anything from Nak owners.

Originally Posted by SFrymyah
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic, but I too have a pioneer unit without an antenna wire. Does anyone have a fix to make the antenna actuate the way it should without the signal wire?
Topic isn't old dude

What do you mean "Pioneer head unit without an antenna wire"? You are talking about an aftermarket head unit, right?

Originally Posted by ashtray
I have a problem I hope someone can help me solve. I got power to my aftermarket amp and everything is correctly connected trust me I must have checked like 10 times and so did my helper. Still no sound coming from my aftermarket sub.

Before attempting the aftermarket amp/sub, I had everything wired to the OEM amp and sub. What am I missing? I'm going nuts. The amp powers up with its light and all...just NO SOUND from the aftermarket sub, only the OEM sub is working along with all other speakers.
sounds like you're missing a signal to the aftermarket sub amp; are you using RCA line-level input? Does the aftermarket amp have speaker-level inputs too?
Old 03-15-13, 02:54 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used simple speaker wire to run from the headunit amp turn on signal to the amp. As for speaker-level inputs I'm not sure. I'ts got ground, power, bridged L-R and then just LR and RCA cables which are also plugged into the back of the head unit.
Old 03-17-13, 11:05 PM
2jzsc4
Driver School Candidate

snap a pic, my stuff worked perfect on stock deck and on my prs deck. I do this for a living though.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!