Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 09:40 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by High PSI
Just wanted to say thanks for this how-to (and the one on how to re-use the factory bracket with the aftermarket dash kit). I've had an aftermarket stereo hooked up via the RCA's in the Metra harness for about 5-years, and just dealt with the wining noise since then. I finally had time to do this re-wire and it killed the noise. FYI I am still using the Metra harness (didn't want to hack up the factory harness) and everything works perfectly. I just ran new speaker wire from the HU to the trunk and used your great diagrams so I knew what wires to tap. Factory Sub is still hooked up via the Metra harness as I don't get any noise out of it as-is.
No problem, good to hear you got it working.

On a side note (not directly to you - more like a general observation):
I can understand not wanting to "hack up the factory harness" on a newer car, but we're talking about a 12-20 year old Toyota coupe here... how many people installing a current-technology aftermarket head unit actually plan on putting their outdated OEM factory radio/cassette 1.5-DIN head unit back into the car in the future? Plus it's not really a "hack" job if you do it the right way (correct soldering + proper insulation)
Old 11-25-12, 09:52 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

A little update, it's highly possible that this thread will be rewritten and updated to include the Nakamichi System as well! No definite promises yet, but I'm getting some help from fellow CL members trying to get all the info I need together.
Old 11-27-12, 11:52 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpp meee!!!

Raine please help!!!

I have a after market pioneer head unit I am installing in my 1993 sc300. I have removed the stock head unit and noticed there are 3 seperate plugs!?! My new head unit only has 1 harness and I am not sure what wires to connect where?! I have a after market sub and amp I am also installing so I do not need to hook up the stock amp and sub. The new sub and amp will be fed on there new lines of 8 gauge wire, directly to the headunit. So my question is how do I connect all 6 speakers that are in the car (2 front, 2 rear, 2 (front) tweeeters, and the after market amp and sub I am installing. Please help!!! I’ve got all the wires in place and the system is ready to go I just do know what wires to cross with my new harness and the 3 plugs that were hooked up to the stock head unit
=(
Old 11-28-12, 12:18 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
Raine please help!!!

I have a after market pioneer head unit I am installing in my 1993 sc300. I have removed the stock head unit and noticed there are 3 seperate plugs!?! My new head unit only has 1 harness and I am not sure what wires to connect where?! I have a after market sub and amp I am also installing so I do not need to hook up the stock amp and sub. The new sub and amp will be fed on there new lines of 8 gauge wire, directly to the headunit. So my question is how do I connect all 6 speakers that are in the car (2 front, 2 rear, 2 (front) tweeeters, and the after market amp and sub I am installing. Please help!!! I’ve got all the wires in place and the system is ready to go I just do know what wires to cross with my new harness and the 3 plugs that were hooked up to the stock head unit
=(
Dude did you even try reading my how-to first?
Old 11-28-12, 12:30 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

Ya I am a bit confused =( because are you rewiring the stock amp and sub to the new head unit? I am running a aftermarket sub and amp. Do I just need to work with plug A to get the stock speakers working? Also I have a remote cable (blue) I need to connect to the new after market HU as well as the new RCA cables
Old 11-28-12, 01:37 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

Here is a picture of my Harness as well as the link for the wiring

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Pioneer/D...P/Manual/56476

Any insight on what cables to connect where? to get the stock 6 speakers working,

Here are what the connections are for the after market harness

Yellow (constant 12v supply)
Red (Ignition Switch 12v DC)
Black (ground)
Blue/White (Amp Remote Switch)

Front Left Speaker: White (+) White/Black (-)
Front Right Speaker: Gray (+) Gray/Black (-)
Rear Left Speaker: Green (+) Green/Black (-)
Rear Right Speaker: Violet (+) Violet/Black (-)
Attached Thumbnails HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!-sc300-pioneer.jpg  

Last edited by Devor; 11-28-12 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 07:53 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rain, I am about to install a Kenwood 2-Din in my 99' SC3. I know u said that if I had the 99 year pioneer your instructions might not work. Do you suggest I try the metra harness in my case or just try the wiring method u posted? I dont want the rear sub or any of the factory amps. I just want the HU to power my 4 interior speakers that is all. I will eventually be adding my own sub and amp at a latter time.
Old 11-28-12, 09:08 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Ya I am a bit confused =( because are you rewiring the stock amp and sub to the new head unit? I am running a aftermarket sub and amp. Do I just need to work with plug A to get the stock speakers working? Also I have a remote cable (blue) I need to connect to the new after market HU as well as the new RCA cables

If you want to get the OEM speakers working you'll have to bypass the OEM main amplifier. That means you either have to:

1. Read section B again (it's all there for the main connections) then do the OEM main amp bypass by following the steps in sections D to H.
or
2. Bypass by running speaker wire from your aftermarket head unit directly to the OEM speaker locations.

Regardless - you can't just wire up the Pioneer harness to the OEM harness in the center console to get sound to the OEM speakers - it just won't work because of the OEM main amp that's sitting in between (thus the purpose for the bypass). And your sub setup (OEM or aftermarket) has nothing to do with the main speaker bypass.

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Rain, I am about to install a Kenwood 2-Din in my 99' SC3. I know u said that if I had the 99 year pioneer your instructions might not work. Do you suggest I try the metra harness in my case or just try the wiring method u posted? I dont want the rear sub or any of the factory amps. I just want the HU to power my 4 interior speakers that is all. I will eventually be adding my own sub and amp at a latter time.
Same as the other guy - the OEM main amp bypass is a REQUIRED thing to do if you want to use the stock speakers with an aftermarket head unit. This is because of the OEM system's common-ground setup between the OEM head unit and OEM main amp.

As for the main connections (power, ground, acc) even if the plugs on a 99 are slightly different, with a multimeter it should be easy to find the right wires for these connections with some trial and error.
Old 11-28-12, 11:07 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

Interesting. I thought we could just bypass everything and just power the interior speakers from my head unit directly by spliceing the the speaker lines from the factory harness. I cant believe there is not a wire Diagram anywhere online. The only thing Ive found was for a 99 sc300 and the Factory Harness wiring appears differently then on my 93. What a pain in the neck! Thanks Ill get to it and be back
Old 11-28-12, 12:17 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. I thought we could just bypass everything and just power the interior speakers from my head unit directly by spliceing the the speaker lines from the factory harness. I cant believe there is not a wire Diagram anywhere online. The only thing Ive found was for a 99 sc300 and the Factory Harness wiring appears differently then on my 93. What a pain in the neck! Thanks Ill get to it and be back
You can bypass everything to power the interior speakers - it's all there in the how-to.

And you don't really need a wiring diagram to get main connections (power, ground, acc) - it just takes a multimeter to figure it out if you know the basics.
Old 12-01-12, 06:04 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Almost done! Thanks a million Raine! It's litterally been raining the past 2 days in cali and my new speaker cable finally came. I should be done tomorrow! I realized on my new harness I dont have a illumination or Antenna Plug. There is Only both 12v (switch and Memory) The Amp line and the Ground. Is this going to cause me a problem not having Illumination or the Antenna pins on my aftermarket harness?

Last edited by Devor; 12-01-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 07:00 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Almost done! Thanks a million Raine! It's litterally been raining the past 2 days in cali and my new speaker cable finally came. I should be done tomorrow! I realized on my new harness I dont have a illumination or Antenna Plug. There is Only both 12v (switch and Memory) The Amp line and the Ground. Is this going to cause me a problem not having Illumination or the Antenna pins on my aftermarket harness?
Last three days. I'm here too LOL
Old 12-02-12, 10:09 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

raine!!! help me bro!! i have a nak unit in a sc400. i got the met harness and i have no sound. the power works and my antenna won't go up and down. i don't have a trunk amp. what do i do??

help me plz!!!!
Old 12-02-12, 02:34 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
raine!!! help me bro!! i have a nak unit in a sc400. i got the met harness and i have no sound. the power works and my antenna won't go up and down. i don't have a trunk amp. what do i do??

help me plz!!!!
Um... did you read the first post???
Old 12-03-12, 05:26 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

yes i did "will not" work with a nak unit.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!