Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 01:03 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link so it looks like u guys hardwire it. I actually found a harness made by metra on ebay along with a metra double din install kit. It said the harness was for a sc300 with factory amp. Has anyone used this???? I have no idea if this will work but i figured i would order it anyways since it has the install kit too. And if i comes to it ill have to hardwire it ahhhh.......lol
Old 01-30-10, 03:35 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
Thanks for the link so it looks like u guys hardwire it. I actually found a harness made by metra on ebay along with a metra double din install kit. It said the harness was for a sc300 with factory amp. Has anyone used this???? I have no idea if this will work but i figured i would order it anyways since it has the install kit too. And if i comes to it ill have to hardwire it ahhhh.......lol
Before I wrote this I researched and some said the Metra harness works, others said no. I bought it to but it didn't match up to the SC- but it worked for my girlfriends Celica LOL so that's part of why I decided to hardwire it... That and I didn't plan on using the OEM head unit ever again.
Old 01-30-10, 05:08 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

ok thanks a lot since u did such a good write up on it im pretty confident i can hardwire it. Thanks alot its very appriciated cuz with out that write up i would be keeping my radio stock. thanks
Old 01-30-10, 08:57 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the write up!

I have a 93 sc300 with the pioneer radio with no cd changer.

Got a stereo from crutchfield and used their harness to hook it up. It was good for making the 4 speakers work. Found an old RCA cable and used that to connect the sub signals. To make the sub work with the cd player, not just the radio, spliced two wires on the harness in the trunk. Used the metra single din kit, lopped off the attachment pieces and screwed it onto the metal brackets in the car. Only issue left is the fact that the lights on my AC unit went out. DOH And I kind of wish I upgraded the sub four years ago when I had the thing taken apart to change out the speakers.

And when I say "I", I mean my BF did it while I just helped. LOL
Old 01-31-10, 07:51 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silkiechic
Only issue left is the fact that the lights on my AC unit went out.

Whoa - I just today completed the custom metra/oem mount and a *version* of Raine's OEM amp bypass after market head unit install and my HVAC unit's lights went out too!!! I wonder why this happens? maybe some cable got pulled loose from one of three plugs that go into that unit while doing the install? Did this happen to anyone else?

I was just shocked to see you type that when it has JUST happened to me too so I had to reply - anyone know why the LCD backlights go out like this?
Old 01-31-10, 10:07 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The LCD blacklight and the indicator lighting for the defroster/ac and such are there on mine, just the backlighting for the buttons is gone... I was thinking they were so old the assembly finally killed the bulbs. But maybe there is something else going on.
Old 02-01-10, 02:25 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy, for me it's exactly the opposite - the LCD backlight went kaput but the lights for each button still function normally.
Old 09-19-10, 10:44 PM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to thank you for writing this thread.

I just installed a JVC double DIN deck into my son's '92 SC400. Your suggestion to combine the plastic Metra bracket and the factory metal OEM one was brilliant. I have no idea how that flimsy plastic bracket could hold up the radio on its own.

I was able to get away with removing quite a bit less metal from the OEM bracket than was necessary with your installation. I only had to remove a small amount of the metal frame to accommodate the plastic frame where the face plate screws in.

I attached the AC controls using both the plastic and metal frame. I used counter sunk screws to make connections in the plastic where the screw head would other wise interfere with the metal bracket. I then found a couple of places where I could use a regular machine head screw and catch the edge of the metal frame as well.

I'm very happy with the end result and never would have thought of this on my own - so thanks for the great idea!
Old 09-20-10, 01:09 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by snoofus
Just wanted to thank you for writing this thread.

I just installed a JVC double DIN deck into my son's '92 SC400. Your suggestion to combine the plastic Metra bracket and the factory metal OEM one was brilliant. I have no idea how that flimsy plastic bracket could hold up the radio on its own.

I was able to get away with removing quite a bit less metal from the OEM bracket than was necessary with your installation. I only had to remove a small amount of the metal frame to accommodate the plastic frame where the face plate screws in.

I attached the AC controls using both the plastic and metal frame. I used counter sunk screws to make connections in the plastic where the screw head would other wise interfere with the metal bracket. I then found a couple of places where I could use a regular machine head screw and catch the edge of the metal frame as well.

I'm very happy with the end result and never would have thought of this on my own - so thanks for the great idea!
Glad to hear... yeah I took away more metal than needed, but it was one of those "first time attempts"-type deals, lol
Old 10-21-10, 09:58 AM
TeKKeMeN
Driver School Candidate

Hey raine u should make some of the installation kit and sell them, I would buy one from u for sure...
Old 10-21-10, 10:21 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TeKKeMeN
Hey raine u should make some of the installation kit and sell them, I would buy one from u for sure...
LOL no time... plus all you need to do is buy the Metra kit, the rest of the parts are already in the car
Old 05-02-11, 08:18 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by raine
Wow actually no, it's not a waste of time nor effort. Do you have the Metra kit installed in your car with a 7-9 pound double-DIN head unit in it? If you do, you'd know that the top mounting tabs aren't even holes, they're slots - and the bottom mounting legs are so flimsy that you wouldn't want to even stand the whole assembly up on them without risking them snapping off. They are so fragile that once the plastic loses some moisture over time, it'll probably break off. And the Metra kit only has 4 fastening points to the center console, whereas the OEM brackets have 6, including two to the dashboard. Oh, and having 7-9 pounds with that weak of a support moves around A LOT in the dash, creaking and moaning... and I'm not cool with that.
I can testify that the flimsy plastic metra cage with even a SINGLE DIN head unit will also break in no time at all. I hadn't seen this thread before I did mine. I'm running single DIN with a pocket below it, and the upper right mounting tab on the flimsy metra bracket broke upon install.
Old 06-17-11, 05:58 PM
jds5445
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this thread. Worked great for me. Now i just need to get the d@%$ radio working.
Old 02-25-12, 04:39 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks a bunch needed this
Old 02-25-12, 11:52 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jds5445
Thanks for this thread. Worked great for me. Now i just need to get the d@%$ radio working.
Originally Posted by 76mmturbo
thanks a bunch needed this
You're welcome =)

Quick Reply: HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units