Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 07:29 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
PICS!

I think it would be cool if people who followed the How-To posted pics of the final product =)
alright alright, I'll post pix. gotta whip out the SLR then...
Old 10-03-09, 10:27 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I had a thought about this - what if I'd like my new DoubleDin to align in the top-most vertical position that the OEM mounts will provide *so that* the bottom 25mm is available for me to build in a compartment directly above the ashtray? Would I just ignore this method and try to find a faceplate that makes sense for my desires or placement? And for that matter, do they make faces for the SC already prepped for this type of setup I'm talking about?

man, I hope that all made sense lol

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-04-09, 12:22 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CLRH2O
So I had a thought about this - what if I'd like my new DoubleDin to align in the top-most vertical position that the OEM mounts will provide *so that* the bottom 25mm is available for me to build in a compartment directly above the ashtray? Would I just ignore this method and try to find a faceplate that makes sense for my desires or placement? And for that matter, do they make faces for the SC already prepped for this type of setup I'm talking about?

man, I hope that all made sense lol

Thanks in advance for any input.
The original Metra kit IIRC aligned a single DIN to the top edge like you were thinking - search for some older posts of people with aftermarket head units and you'll see exactly that. Before this newest kit people would use the factory cage with a double-DIN and would do all kinds of things to cover the bottom 1/2-DIN gap (EQs, custom pockets, etc.) but you would still need the trim on the left and right sides or theres still a gap. I suppose you could modify the new Metra kit and use the factory cage screw locations to still use the side trim.
Old 10-04-09, 05:54 AM
kponti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this for the single DIN metra setup, All I had to really do was shave the tiny ***** inside oem mount and everything bolted up (after getting some longer screws from home depot).
Thanks a lot Raine
Old 12-16-09, 05:31 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since everyone who has said they would post pics of the final product has flaked....

Here are some I found on Pioneer's Website:

I don't like the way it doesn't sit flush with the ashtray. Me thinks I'll be making my own (plus, I would rather use the 25mm space beneath the stereo for a boost controller or turbo timer).
Old 12-16-09, 08:07 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great writeup.

I have the same setup, I also used the factory brackets. Mine sits as flush as the factory stereo was, the shop did that didn't mount the kit/nav unit properly.

Here's my Navi installed with the Metra kit:

Last edited by Scotty; 12-16-09 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 08:20 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by scotty6486
This is a great writeup.

I have the same setup, I also used the factory brackets. Mine sits as flush as the factory stereo was, the shop did that didn't mount the kit/nav unit properly.

Here's my Navi installed with the Metra kit:
Still looks like the bottom of the Metra kit isn't flush with the top of the ash-tray at all (as it was with the factory stereo setup)....
Old 12-16-09, 08:38 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by High PSI
Still looks like the bottom of the Metra kit isn't flush with the top of the ash-tray at all (as it was with the factory stereo setup)....
Even the stock stereo isn't completely flush, it does stick slightly further out than the top of the ash tray. That being said, I could adjust the dash kit to be a bit more flush.

It's also a good idea to reinstall the black foam that was on the bottom of the stock unit to avoid being able to see in between the gap above the ash tray.

Here's a picture showing the stock unit's slight overhang.
Old 12-16-09, 08:42 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah those Pioneer pics, someone should have fit it a little better. Mine is like Scotty's
Old 01-23-10, 07:45 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6486
Even the stock stereo isn't completely flush, it does stick slightly further out than the top of the ash tray. That being said, I could adjust the dash kit to be a bit more flush.

It's also a good idea to reinstall the black foam that was on the bottom of the stock unit to avoid being able to see in between the gap above the ash tray.

Here's a picture showing the stock unit's slight overhang.
Excellent step-by-step DIY write up of the Metra kit. I did not even know the kit existed. For years and years no company made a kit for the car. I am glad to see that there is a simple and cost effective solution that needs minimal and easy modification to get installed and look pretty good. I would take it a step farther and apply some SEM plastic finish in Satin Black to finish it off and give a a slightly more OE look.

I do want to point out that if you look in the pic above, you will notice the progressive curvature of the lower area of the stock head unit which matches the shape and curvature of the OEM outer console bezel. This also matches up perfectly with the ash tray if the head unit is installed to OE specifications. This is the detail that really finishes the OE look.

That is why I took a close look at Jose's (CleanSC) work, and used my stock OE head unit face plate as the base for my custom after market Double Din head unit. It will match up, perfectly as it is the stock unit. Basically, you remove the face plate off the OE radio, and then make a template from the outer dimensions of your aftermarket head unit. You then trace that over the factory face plate, cut it out and fill the lower button holes with either bondo, or an excellent plastic filler material known as Plastex. Then you build up the side walls and underside of the face plate to add structural integrity and ridigity, sand and buff it, and then finish it off with some SEM. Looks OEM. here are a few pics of the end result:

Name:  Picture039.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  Picture041.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  Picture038.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  59.2 KB

Again, I am not trying to hijack this thread, it is an excellent write up. Anybody can follow it and get a good result. Just wanted to show you this one, but keep in mind that it is a lot more work, and if you pay someone to do it it will cost you significantly more money, but the end result is excellent.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 01-23-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-10, 08:22 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do u guys run those double din cd players. I was looking at getting the eclipse avn726e and the guy at abcwarehouse said they would have to hardwire it becaues there is no wiring harness for it?? So do u guys hardwire them??
Old 01-27-10, 08:55 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wickedsc3
How do u guys run those double din cd players. I was looking at getting the eclipse avn726e and the guy at abcwarehouse said they would have to hardwire it becaues there is no wiring harness for it?? So do u guys hardwire them??
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html
Old 01-29-10, 04:56 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

edit wrong thread lol

Last edited by BigManne; 01-29-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 06:48 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this mod for the install I'm currently talking about in you're other thread and it's **** for sure!

But I do have a question.... with a new after market doubledin head unit has anyone had trouble fitting the whole head unit/hvac unit back into the dash because the head unit is too deep? Or maybe there are just too damn many cables back there now in my case....?

Figured I'd get other's input on this since I'm having a hard time with space and not being able to fit the entire thing back into the slot with the screw holes touching. In my case there is a clean 1/2" left to go to push backward into the dash before my 6 screw holes can be used to re-secure the thing.
Old 01-29-10, 07:19 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CLRH2O
I did this mod for the install I'm currently talking about in you're other thread and it's **** for sure!

But I do have a question.... with a new after market doubledin head unit has anyone had trouble fitting the whole head unit/hvac unit back into the dash because the head unit is too deep? Or maybe there are just too damn many cables back there now in my case....?

Figured I'd get other's input on this since I'm having a hard time with space and not being able to fit the entire thing back into the slot with the screw holes touching. In my case there is a clean 1/2" left to go to push backward into the dash before my 6 screw holes can be used to re-secure the thing.
you gotta just move the harnesses around in the back until it slides all the way in. At first I had the same issue but I tucked the stereo harness underneath the head unit (because the double DIN is held centered in the install kit, there's some room under there) and I made sure that the HVAC harness was positioned as close to the firewall as possible. There are some harnesses running on the floor of the transmission tunnel too which can be moved around a little to make even more space.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units