Sponsored by:

HELP! Subwoofer fix possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 06:15 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP! Subwoofer fix possible?

Under the cone, there's a wavy stiff paper disc thing that should be flexible, but firmly attached to the speaker frame around the perimeter (from what I can tell).

In one area at the perimeter about 1.5" long, that paper disc is rattling. The rattling goes away when I put my finger there to hold it down.

Will simply gluing this back down somehow fix it?
Old 06-11-09, 06:56 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a problem, have you tried stapling?
Old 06-11-09, 06:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Under the cone, there's a wavy stiff paper disc thing that should be flexible, but firmly attached to the speaker frame around the perimeter (from what I can tell).

In one area at the perimeter about 1.5" long, that paper disc is rattling. The rattling goes away when I put my finger there to hold it down.

It may fix it (that is the spider, BTW). No guarantees on how long it will last, but use a good adhesive that can handle some stress.

Big Mack
Old 06-11-09, 07:38 PM
speedemon
Rookie

I fixed a sub on an LS430 Ultra with the Levinson Audio and it is still working great, I punish it daily as well, check this link out on how to repair it with a hot glue gun http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=46353
Old 06-12-09, 07:17 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, guys! I picked up some 2-part epoxy and a very precise palstic syringe...I'm trying this tonight!
Old 06-12-09, 07:44 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Thanks, guys! I picked up some 2-part epoxy and a very precise palstic syringe...I'm trying this tonight!
2 part might not set up quick enough, you'll need to keep some light pressure on it to keep it together, you also run the risk if it is fluid enough to come out of a syringe, it might be fluid enough to run down the back side of the cone and mess it up. If going this route you may want to remove the woofer so you can have good access to both sides. If the underside is accessible you could always put a piece of painters tape (blue stuff) on the back side so it won't run if it does come through the back side.

I liked the hot glue cause it sets up really quick. 5 min expoxy takes 5 to set and several hours to cure completely.

Good luck, remember to close this out with your results, and if you can post a picture or 2 I'm sure there are some that would really appreciate it.
Old 06-14-09, 04:24 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

This worked 100%. I used epoxy. Hot glue got gooey and setup quick. I could scratch it back out with my fingernail. So I tried epoxy--it gets runny, so after it slid into where I put it, and hardened, its perfect. (Again, this is around the perimeter of the paper "spider" part of the speaker.)