Sponsored by:

Installed Alpine Type R 12", Rattle is Unbearable

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 11:10 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installed Alpine Type R 12", Rattle is Unbearable

Yesterday, I removed the original 8" sub and installed an Alpine Type R 12" sub, which rattles the rear deck or rear windshield when turned up somewhat loud. The system sounds great, I just was wondering if anybody here has had this problem and the best method to eliminate the rattle.

I have a 1996 LS400.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-09, 08:58 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

So I think the rattle occurs at the plastic housing for the third brake light, on the rear deck. Does anybody have a good suggestion for what I should use to keep this secured or dampened so it isn't slamming against the rear windshield???
Old 05-28-09, 09:17 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine does that too...unfortunately. best thing to do is probably place a piece of insulation or something between the two.
Old 05-28-09, 10:42 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i ripped mine out with subwoofer grill since both of them where flexing hard
Old 06-04-09, 01:03 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe stick a towel or something between the deck and the panel? i think that would work much better than using dynamat.. cheaper too..
Old 06-04-09, 03:12 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

towel in a lexus?

i'm getting my type r 12 put in soon, hope it doesn't rattle too loud!
Old 06-04-09, 03:24 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

This might be more than you bargained for, but lay some mdf along the rear deck and bolt the sub to it. It'll stop that rattle and any flexing. Then let that R12 hit nice and tight!
Old 06-05-09, 12:07 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX469
This might be more than you bargained for, but lay some mdf along the rear deck and bolt the sub to it. It'll stop that rattle and any flexing. Then let that R12 hit nice and tight!
mdf?? I don't know what that is...

I took the 8" out, and put the 12" in a sealed box in the trunk. I beleve the rattle is coming from directly under the housing for the 3rd brakelight, so I will have to try to figure out what is rattling and where. I put a bunch of little sticky foam squares around the back of the housing, and the rattle still comes and goes. I just need a way to keep the entire assembly stable.

Without the rattle, it sounds fantastic, fwiw.
Old 06-05-09, 02:51 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mdf is the wood in most boxes right? i got my 12 delivered and will be building a custom made vented box made of fiberglass for my trunk, hope it sounds great.
Old 06-05-09, 03:05 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
towel in a lexus?

i'm getting my type r 12 put in soon, hope it doesn't rattle too loud!
It is a cheap fix and very functional if the rattle is bad. Not only that, who the hell will notice? it does its job and is hidden under the panel. That being said, I put a type r 12 in in my sister's is250 and took the stupid stock sub out. never did i hear real rattling going on... maybe you missed a few clips for the rear deck? my sis is loving the awesome bday present thats for sure!
Old 06-05-09, 03:34 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beez43
It is a cheap fix and very functional if the rattle is bad. Not only that, who the hell will notice? it does its job and is hidden under the panel. That being said, I put a type r 12 in in my sister's is250 and took the stupid stock sub out. never did i hear real rattling going on... maybe you missed a few clips for the rear deck? my sis is loving the awesome bday present thats for sure!
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the brake light housing, which is further back from the speaker grill. When I hear the rattle, and hold the plastic housing in place, there is no rattle. I just don't know what is making the noise under the housing, or where to even begin trying to identify it.
Old 06-06-09, 02:07 AM
is350
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

try removing the plastic housing and go from there. maybe you just need to stick some foam in there.
Old 06-09-09, 09:08 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is350
try removing the plastic housing and go from there. maybe you just need to stick some foam in there.
That's what it looks like now - I still can't be sure what exactly is making the noise, but will put a sock or piece of foam down there. Just was a little paranoid a sock may catch on fire in there...is that ridiculous???
Old 06-09-09, 03:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
That's what it looks like now - I still can't be sure what exactly is making the noise, but will put a sock or piece of foam down there. Just was a little paranoid a sock may catch on fire in there...is that ridiculous???
Yes, it would be ridiculous for the most part. If your sub were getting hot enough to catch a sock on fire, it would have melted both the grill and all surrounding materials long ago.

I 2nd the foam idea. Get yourself some very thin foam that you can trim to fit around the edge of the light, won't be intrusive, and is close in color. Slice and dice to size, apply, and kiss the rattle goodbye.

Big Mack
Old 06-09-09, 03:14 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Yes, it would be ridiculous for the most part. If your sub were getting hot enough to catch a sock on fire, it would have melted both the grill and all surrounding materials long ago.

I 2nd the foam idea. Get yourself some very thin foam that you can trim to fit around the edge of the light, won't be intrusive, and is close in color. Slice and dice to size, apply, and kiss the rattle goodbye.

Big Mack
I don't mean the sock catching fire by the sub, I mean near the wiring hireness for the third brakelight!

Quick Reply: Installed Alpine Type R 12", Rattle is Unbearable