Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help with aftermarket head unit install in SC w/Pioneer - without CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 12:13 AM
ramblux
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with aftermarket head unit install in SC w/Pioneer - without CD changer

Hi Guys,

I've seen mention of my issue in other threads, but no one ever really spelled out how they solved it. I've looked through Raine's thread as well, but things seem to be a bit different in my car.

I'm putting a Pioneer head unit in my car, and since I saw it mentioned a few times elsewhere that a Metra harness would work on my car because there is only one amp to power the sub underneath where most SCs have a CD changer, but a few of the wires behind the dash don't seem to match up color-wise.

For instance, I haven't been able to locate the pink wire on any of the four OEM stereo plugs, and I believe there's no violet wire either. Those should be the positive and negative for the front left speaker, but there simply don't seem to be any wires that match up on any of the factory plugs. I've tried various combinations of wires, but none of them seem to be powering any of the speakers.

Possibly relevant info: The car had a factory head unit in it that had the CD changer button (previous owner must have installed it), but that radio never worked since it was made to be used with an external amp. The sub, however, did work if you turned the volume up enough. My assumption was that nothing was working simply due to having the incorrect head unit, but maybe something else is up.

What can I look for, and why can't I find those darned wires?! Thanks for the help. I'm one or two days away from just having a stereo shop look a look at it.
Old 02-19-13, 04:24 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should prob take it to a professional at this point ...

Just saying, The previous owner(s) could've hacked something up and if you can't find wires or figure it out, you prob need to get sir one who has more experience do you don't break anything else by connecting the wrong wires together . Plus we don't know exactly what you're seeing and we can't test the wires for you over the Internet. Also are you looking for the color wire based on aftermarket harness or colors based on Oem wiring?
Old 02-19-13, 07:37 AM
ramblux
Rookie

I'm looking at the Lexus wiring diagram, and the factory plugs are still on the harness, so there hasn't been any hacking.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-20-13, 10:51 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check out Lextreme.com and confirm the same writing diagram for the wiring going to all the speakers?
Old 02-20-13, 11:52 AM
ramblux
Rookie

I did, but I will definitely be looking at it again by the weekend. Two kids and a long commute home don't leave much time for evening work. haha

thanks.
Old 02-21-13, 01:30 PM
ramblux
Rookie

So I cross-referenced the part number of the Lexus harness that is in my car - and it came up as a 95-96 harness for a car WITH CD changer. My car is a '92 and doesn't have a CD changer. Just ordered the proper harness from Sewell.

Thanks for the help, everyone.