Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

how much do think for custom dvd install...

Old 04-04-09, 09:18 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how much do think for custom dvd install...

I just bought two Alpine monitors to install in my headrests. They need to cut into the headrest and also install a dvd rom/player in the glove compartment. What can I expect to pay for install???
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PKG-M780
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l0GP6vB...or-DV-170.html
Old 04-14-09, 10:10 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

finally done...
Attached Thumbnails how much do think for custom dvd install...-img00029-20090413-1550.jpg  
Old 04-14-09, 10:11 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

one more picture.
Attached Thumbnails how much do think for custom dvd install...-img00030-20090413-1550-2-.jpg  
Old 04-14-09, 10:43 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was gonna say 300-700 in terms of labor. only thing id recomend that the wiring go thru the post if they are hollow like other lexus
Old 04-17-09, 01:04 PM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KILLERGS4, they look really great.

Can you please post some more info, if the dvd player is also connected to the navi screen!? If so, what interface are you using?
Also would really like to know how the audio is transefered to the stock speakers. Through a FM modulator or some interface...? Thx
Old 04-17-09, 08:08 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

the DVD player is not connected with the Navi System nor the factory speakers. The installer was recommending a audio interface to connect the Valor DVD Player to the Factory Navi, but the interface alone was over $200 bucks, so I passed. However I am running a cassette adapter with the Brain of the Video Player into the cassette deck so that I do get good sound. The wires are easy to hide. I used the AUX INPUT 3 / OUTPUT audio R & L and connected to cassette adapter, and works great.
Attached Thumbnails how much do think for custom dvd install...-h500pkgm780-o_mt.jpeg  
Old 04-18-09, 12:18 AM
brio_ls
Rookie

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
the DVD player is not connected with the Navi System nor the factory speakers. The installer was recommending a audio interface to connect the Valor DVD Player to the Factory Navi, but the interface alone was over $200 bucks, so I passed. However I am running a cassette adapter with the Brain of the Video Player into the cassette deck so that I do get good sound. The wires are easy to hide. I used the AUX INPUT 3 / OUTPUT audio R & L and connected to cassette adapter, and works great.
Thanks for your reply!

Looks like you used the stock headrests, but i'm wondering how did your installer run the wires. Are the poles hollow so he hid the wires there..? Did he mention any problems with the headrests themselves since they are electrically powered?
Thanks
Old 04-18-09, 11:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

the wires actually shows, but if you have the headrest all the way down, it doesn't show... I felt like my installer wasn't the most skillful installer. It took the installer 8 hrs to complete the job.
Old 04-19-09, 11:55 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

I felt like my installer wasn't the most skillful installer. It took the installer 8 hrs to complete the job.
That's not an easy job, and versus rushing it, I'd be happy the installer took the time and made it look as good as he did. If you're not using a replacement headrest and you have a motorized headrest with gears inside, that complicates things even more. If he's not used to working with those, it's definitely a learning curve. If he did it for the price you wanted to pay and did the job well, I'd be touting his work, not saying he wasn't skilled.

I think those look good, mang. I'm sure you're very happy with them.

Big Mack
Old 04-19-09, 02:25 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

I just bought two Alpine monitors to install in my headrests. They need to cut into the headrest and also install a dvd rom/player in the glove compartment. What can I expect to pay for install???
I never did see an answer to your original question.
Now that it's done you have the answer to share with those of us who're interested in similar work.
Old 04-21-09, 02:12 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

it cost 300 bucks... dude wasn't very skilled because he cut one of the cables and the job is still not complete... the cable is on back order, coming in next month. Installer also scratched shift gate cover, scratched leather center console... so I say he did average job...
Old 04-26-09, 07:46 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

just realized today that all of the buttons next to heated and cooling seat don't light up anymore. I'm willing to bet the installer had something to do with it (not very skilled indeed). Everything was working fine before. Now I have no idea what button I'm hitting if I'm driving at night. The buttons do work, so you think it's a fuse issue by any chance or something simple I can do myself?
Old 04-27-09, 10:12 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

one more picture.
Where did you get the trim/bracket? When I bought my headrests, it didn't come with that.
Old 04-27-09, 04:42 PM
Vestax
Driver School Candidate

just realized today that all of the buttons next to heated and cooling seat don't light up anymore. I'm willing to bet the installer had something to do with it (not very skilled indeed). Everything was working fine before. Now I have no idea what button I'm hitting if I'm driving at night. The buttons do work, so you think it's a fuse issue by any chance or something simple I can do myself?
Is the shop a reputable one? I wouldn't touch anything that could void any type of warranty, especially if you paid somebody else to do the job. Take it back to the shop. Actually any of those things that are mentioned shouldn't have happened at all.
Old 05-01-09, 08:44 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vestax
Is the shop a reputable one? I wouldn't touch anything that could void any type of warranty, especially if you paid somebody else to do the job. Take it back to the shop. Actually any of those things that are mentioned shouldn't have happened at all.
I am taking the car back this monday, because one of the monitor cables got cut (by installer during install), so it was on back order. Hopefully he can address the light issue at that time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much do think for custom dvd install...