Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can I run 2 Amps off of one capacitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 07:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job on the install. How does it sound? I think that a trim panel might dress that up nicely.

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
While I have your attention....

Would it be a problem if I mounted my amplifier very very close to my Subwoofer's magnet?

Would the magnetism affect my amp badly?
Your amp is not like a TV - magnetism shouldn't affect it. People have been putting amps on sub boxes for years. The vibration, however, can cause problems. Depending on how well the box is constructed, it may be more or less.

Big Mack
Old 03-15-09, 07:56 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. I will mount my amp on the box. As far as the sound... so far it sounds great. It took me 17 hours to run new wires to remove the interior, all the speakers, new power wires, Pre outwires... etc. Dang... A lot longer than the 5 hours I had estimated.

My old set up was an
1) Panasonic DVD player/HU
2) Kenwood KAC-625(13 years old, Runs like a champ!)
3) Infinity Kappa 102A
4) Infinity Kappa 6.5 seperates (powered by the KAC 625)
5) Rockford Fostgate 3 way 6x9s (powered by the Head Unit)

A couple years ago, I had a Panasonic CD player and a Kenwood EQ. Some reason I could only hear a decent amount of bass, when I used Panasonics "Super High Definition Bass"

I replaced both in favor of the Double Din Panasonic DVD player, which has a Graphic EQ. The stupid thing was you couldnt use the Graphic EQ and Panasonics "Trubass" at the same time. So I had to choose between the overly Warm "TruBass setting" or a Bass-less EQ setting.

With the new Sub Amp, I was able to set the gain on the sub high enough, that I can use the EQ and get Bass. Thank Goodness. I still need to do a lot of tweeking... but so far it sounds good.

Hopefully, I wont have that Bass problem when I install the Infinity Kappa 102A into my IS350. I will be tapping my Mark Levinson Subwoofer and Front woofers with a Scosch LOC to install the amp.

I will take pictures when I am done.
Old 05-19-13, 08:35 PM
bumpin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have sort of the same question... I am currently running 2amps off 1 car battery. I have a 700 watt amp powering my car speakers in all 8 speakers. And I have another 4500 watt amp powering my 2 boss audio subs 2300 watts max. I feel I am under powering my entire system off of 1 car battery. I was looking into batteries and capacitors and I'm not sure which I should go with. I lost a lot of bass after I took my RCA cables out of my 4500 watt amp bcuz it melted the whole cord. Luckily I caught my mistake in time before I ruined my head unit. When I figured out I did this my car was smoking from the front to the trunk. I replaced the RCAs and I significantly lost a lot of bass from the wires melting my connection at the head unit (radio) was almost shot or useless either way it's working now sounds fine but I want it to be great. Id Just like anyone's opinion if I should replace the radio and put in a battery or a capacitor like I said thoughts/suggestions/tips would all be nice
Old 05-23-13, 09:13 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bumpin
I also have sort of the same question... I am currently running 2amps off 1 car battery. I have a 700 watt amp powering my car speakers in all 8 speakers. And I have another 4500 watt amp powering my 2 boss audio subs 2300 watts max. I feel I am under powering my entire system off of 1 car battery. I was looking into batteries and capacitors and I'm not sure which I should go with. I lost a lot of bass after I took my RCA cables out of my 4500 watt amp bcuz it melted the whole cord. Luckily I caught my mistake in time before I ruined my head unit. When I figured out I did this my car was smoking from the front to the trunk. I replaced the RCAs and I significantly lost a lot of bass from the wires melting my connection at the head unit (radio) was almost shot or useless either way it's working now sounds fine but I want it to be great. Id Just like anyone's opinion if I should replace the radio and put in a battery or a capacitor like I said thoughts/suggestions/tips would all be nice
sounds like u have a lot going on..1st (this will cause arguments but ignorance needs enlightenment) there is no need in this day and age for a stiffening cap..all quality amps have more than enough capacitance to perform even under strained conditions. caps were introduced in the early 90's to bridge the gap in capacitance that amps lacked..also there weren't any high performance audio batteries available. i could go one for hrs..but to shut the nay sayers up... charge your largest cap (1000farad if u can find em) then disconnect the cars battery and put the cap in its place then try to start the car.... the car wont start!!!!!!!! but put the cheapest half a$$ battery in an it should crank.. the problem is the cap must get a charge from somewhere..ie the battery...

so 1st swap the battery under the hood for an optima red top (SC34U) it will recharge 5times faster than the oem batt, 2nd make sure you 100%OFC (not CCA) copper wire in your system, 3rd clean your grounds (remove any and all paint that includes the terminals) then and only then if u still have voltage issues think of adding a 2nd battery.. (make sure u have good terminal rings..copper not the golden coated crap)

as a foot note look at the amps rms or constant power rating.. i trust 4500 its a real power output..

lastly the biggest issue in most stereo systems is the user... as a rule... for every minute u play the system at more than 50% volume u MUST play 2-3 times that amount of time at low (0-30%) volume levels to allow the batteries to recharge.. ie 20mins booming 40 mins low.. its costs to floss.. and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have your engine running when playing your stereo.. a gallon of gas is WAY cheaper than a dead battery or a blown amp and or sub...

PRACTICE SAFE SOUND....