Sponsored by:

1997 SC400 Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 06:42 AM
WildCanadi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 SC400 Install

After quite a few hours of research I decided to ask the members of this Forum for advice and ideas or even links to other installs of this model of Lexus. I have done simple installs but never one that involves custom work. Anyway I have already bought the system I want to install after doing a lot of reading. I 'm not after loud as much as I'm after a clean, clear sound. So far I have an Audison LRX 5.1K, Focal 165 K2P, a 27 KX Focal sub and a pair of Focal 165 CVX if I need them. My head unit is an Kenwood DNX6140 which I finally found out where I could buy an install kit while looking around on another site. Anyway that about sums it up so any help with my install would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by WildCanadi; 05-07-09 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Changed Head unit
Old 02-20-09, 04:19 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like you have some equipment that should give you a nice sounding system. I myself had very little luck with taping into the factory wiring in trunk. I did find some nice pin outs on another thread, but I could only manage to get the front driver side working with my factory wiring. This testing did happen before I realized that I had water soaked underneath my back seat behind on the driver side. The factory wiring runs right across the area that was soaked so that might have been part of my problem. Maybe you might have better luck if you want to utilize the factory wiring, but I think you are going to need to upgrade your wiring for your Focals. I am not sure but I thought those required about 125 watts/channel of I’m not mistaken. I heard that you could run them with less, but I hear they don’t sound nearly as good. Running new wire through the doors was a real pain in the azz for me, but you might have better skills than I do. You can also look into getting a local shop to run you new wires if that is an issue for you, but I really would suggest running larger gauge wire 10 maybe 12.

I tried two different sets of 6.5” separates (a pair of Bostons and a pair of Focal V1s) and I was not happy with the sound of vocals with either speaker. I tried all kinds of things ported, sealed, free air, and the 6.5 produced some awesome midbass, but highs and vocals were very lacking. I took the same speakers and put them in my Mustang…BAM!! Awesome sound! My point is I know I had a good install, and good speakers but I felt there was something else with the acoustics of the door that dampened the ability of the mids to create the sound I was looking for. I had the local Custom shop look at it and they were trying sell me another amp with different crossover points, and tell me that I had a picky ear….not many people are as picky as I am about sound…yada yada

It sounds crazy but I ending up going with a RF 4” 2 way. The mid bass is solid and the vocals were way better. I am sure there is a better setup, but I just got worn out messin with it. Good luck with your install and look forward to seeing how things turn out for you.