Sponsored by:

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 03:40 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good deal?

I want to upgrade the sound in my car a LOT, but for cheap. So I started perusing Craigslist and found 6.5" Polk db component speakers for $50 cash. Everything works like new. Its only $50, but if these don't fit or suck in a 2GS4, it wasted $50.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-09, 03:55 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh yes they wont fit....but you can make them fit. Buy the ebay adapter plates. They work and are only bout $20. Not the highest qualtiy but def. get the job done. Pkus your already upgrading from a 4" to a 6.5". Not a bad start, and nothing wrong with Polk either.
Old 02-07-09, 04:15 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by captainsc
Ahhh yes they wont fit....but you can make them fit. Buy the ebay adapter plates. They work and are only bout $20. Not the highest qualtiy but def. get the job done. Pkus your already upgrading from a 4" to a 6.5". Not a bad start, and nothing wrong with Polk either.
I was thinking I'd make adapter plates at home out of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood? The tweeters should be plug-n-play and the crossovers just need a home...

This is actually for 4 mid speakers, 4 crossovers, and 2 tweeters (he's 2 tweeters short of two sets of speakers).
Old 02-07-09, 05:48 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

We'll in that case it sounds like you got a great deal. Plywood would work but I'd go buy a small sheet of MDF and do it yourself. Plywood is cheap and not very good for stereo installs.
Old 02-07-09, 06:18 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I was thinking I'd make adapter plates at home out of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood? The tweeters should be plug-n-play and the crossovers just need a home...

This is actually for 4 mid speakers, 4 crossovers, and 2 tweeters (he's 2 tweeters short of two sets of speakers).
Or you can go to Best Buy and buy the 99 Neon speaker adapters from Metra. Should be @ $20, and they can be screwed to the existing boxes. Might need to sand them down a bit, as they space it about 1/2", but once you can get them on there, you should cover the whole assembly with dynamat and you'll be happy with them.

Used these adapters on plenty of cars using the same method and always been happy with the results. Cuts down on the time, too.

Big Mack

PS: Yes, that's a good deal at $50.
Old 02-08-09, 03:11 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet--that's what I'm gonna do. I'll look into those Metra plates--thanks! If not, I'll defintely use MDF vs. plywood.

Because I'm two tweeters short of two sets of components, I think I'm going to use the stock tweeters in the new setup. Question, though: wouldn't I get better imaging if I removed the stock speakers from the rear doors and installed the new speakers in the back deck on either side of the sub instead of back into the rear doors? Also easier to wire to an amp, adds a couple more pounds over my drive wheels, etc. I unno, just a thought.
Old 02-08-09, 07:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Question, though: wouldn't I get better imaging if I removed the stock speakers from the rear doors and installed the new speakers in the back deck on either side of the sub instead of back into the rear doors? Also easier to wire to an amp, adds a couple more pounds over my drive wheels, etc. I unno, just a thought.
If you want truly good imaging/staging, rear speakers are typically not even in the equation. Having just mids back there might help with "ambient" music, but they're not necessary. Are you keeping the stock sub? If you're going to the trouble of putting an amp in, I'd dump it. A nice twelve with even moderate power will sound much better, IMO.

Big Mack
Old 02-11-09, 01:14 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what I have on my limited budget:

Front: Polk db 6500 6.5" components
Rear: Polk db 6500 6.5" components (but with MB Quart tweeters--a frankenstein set)
Speaker amp: not sure if I want to add one yet...

Subwoofer: 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect
Subwoofer amp: MTX 250W @ 2 ohms, 125W at 4 ohms

Any advice is appreciated... I have yet to figure out how the wiring's gonna work yet...(ie. keep stock amp for inside speakers, where to tap for what, etc) Much CL searching ahead of me.