Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

$350 for install of Alpine monitor, DVD plyr, and two amps, is this a good price???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 10:05 PM
dandada2000v6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $350 for install of Alpine monitor, DVD plyr, and two amps, is this a good price???

My car is a 1998 GS 400...
Old 02-27-02, 10:53 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

If it's in the dash then yes, because they have to make a custom dash kit....but figure avarage price of 60 per amp plus parts(Does this price come with parts? wires, etc) and if it's the alpine CVA then 100 to install and 50 install on the DVD....
Old 02-28-02, 10:27 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you going to a reputable shop? make sure they do good work, and be SURE that they worked on your car before.

the first guy who worked on my car did a crappy job. cut all the stock wites and a month later things didn't go right. with a little patience, i installed my alpine iva and dvd changer, along with my nav and tv tuner. i recommend doing it yourself.

it seems like a HUGE job, but it's well worth it. just be sure to disconnect your battery first. if you want your dash kit, just have them make one out of fiberglass afterwards. i'm sure other gs people have the wiring diagram somewhere for you too look at
Old 03-01-02, 07:40 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

If you are unsure take it to a reputable shop.
And understand that they may charge more just because it is a Lexus. Many people complain about the prices when they have a Lux car but they dont understand or care that a shop has to protect itself just in case something goes wrong.
here is how it works:
Q:When installing a CD player what damage can be done to the car?
A: Scratched panels 99.9% of the time.
The result is higher fees for a Lexus driver compared to a Civic.
WHY:A civic dash trim is a lot cheaper than a Lexus to replace.
So when people say "it's the same deck...installed the same way ,why so much??...Theres the reason"

We dont do installs at the shop even for the few that know that we own Importtoys.com. Because the offshelf prices are higher than we sell online...All To protect the shop.

Im all for 'do it yourself' work...I love it. But Im also playing both sides of the field.
If you purchased the units from them they should offer a huge price break on installation. I would hate to hear that you've damaged your new stuff because of a DIY install.

Most shops are insured against huge problems that may happen...fried ECU etc. But things like dash scratches, etc they just pay out-of-pocket.

Good luck with everything