Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Metra to release dash kit for sc 92-00

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 06:01 AM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever bought from this place? I mean for the price I may buy both just to incase future plans change.
Old 01-26-09, 09:16 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Metra, i was told the kit is OUT NOW!!! and was released last week!!!!!! It is part # 99-8157B and its a single din with pocket.
I was told very few have shipped because few people know about it yet so only some online retailers have placed orders, i have friends at a local stereo shop and have just had them place an order for me!

I was told by Metra that the company www.sonicelectronix.com has placed an order and is reputable with good prices (about $15 plus $6 shipping) I just called them and they told me they will have them in stock and shipping by next week!!

Mods:
I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THIS COMPANY IN ANY WAY and i AM NOT trying to advertise them, i am just letting fellow SC owners know one place this badly needed product is available online incase they cant get one locally.
Old 01-26-09, 12:12 PM
SC40095
Driver

These Guys seem to have the pieces needed to do a clean install but I never heard of them.
Old 01-26-09, 01:20 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

They don't list the double DIN unit on sonicelectronix.com

Shane
Old 01-26-09, 02:21 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonic Electronix has both single DIN and double DIN kits listed.

DOUBLE DIN

SINGLE DIN
Old 01-27-09, 09:45 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Ordered two of the Double DIN's today. One backup in case of a screw up.

Shane
Old 01-28-09, 05:47 AM
MI SO FST
Lead Lap

are those brackets plastic?
Old 01-28-09, 10:45 AM
phrozen
Lead Lap

ordering 2 double din 2 single din kits today i will post pics / comparison from a kit made by me and metra and thoughts on quality as soon as they come in
Old 01-28-09, 11:08 AM
Jippz
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the kit goes all the way down to the ash tray lid or will I need a pocket or something? The picture on Metra's site gives me the impression that it is about 1/2 din short.
Old 01-28-09, 11:18 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MI SO FST
are those brackets plastic?
Yes, the reason is that if you have ever installed an aftermarket radio into an SC the holes to mount the radio onto the factory brackets are in the wrong position, if you mount a single din it is all the way at the top but with this kit there is about 1/4 din of plastic at the top then the radio and then a pocket below that that goes all the way down to the ashtray,this allows for a cleaner install. the plastic will hold up just fine, a lot of dash kits are mounted with plastic brackets for cost reasons and ease of manufacturing.

Originally Posted by Jippz
Does anyone know if the kit goes all the way down to the ash tray lid or will I need a pocket or something? The picture on Metra's site gives me the impression that it is about 1/2 din short.
I have seen a pic of the single din installed and the pocket below the radio goes all the way down to the ashtray, the 1/4 din you are missing is actually at the top of the kit now. The whole point of these kits is to eliminate the ghetto installs and cover the whole opening in the dash.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 01-28-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 01:47 PM
Jippz
Driver School Candidate

I should have told you I was asking about the Double Din kit.
Old 01-28-09, 04:21 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by Jippz
I should have told you I was asking about the Double Din kit.
This is from the 1st post.

"They will be coming out with a single din version and a double din version dash kit for the sc the part numbers are going to be 95-8157(1din) 99-8157(2din), from what there development department said they will have both unique curves on the dash kit one being at the top where it meets the climate control and one at the bottom that sticks out to meet the ash tray. Will be texture and paint matched to the sc console, no cheap ABS feel here!"

I feel you though, I will wait for actual pics to see how it looks like. I hope it gets posted soon!!
Old 01-28-09, 06:23 PM
MI SO FST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Yes, the reason is that if you have ever installed an aftermarket radio into an SC the holes to mount the radio onto the factory brackets are in the wrong position, if you mount a single din it is all the way at the top but with this kit there is about 1/4 din of plastic at the top then the radio and then a pocket below that that goes all the way down to the ashtray,this allows for a cleaner install. the plastic will hold up just fine, a lot of dash kits are mounted with plastic brackets for cost reasons and ease of manufacturing.
well for those of you that want metal brackets you can pay and get them here

http://shop.beatsonicusa.com/product...=2&productId=4
Old 01-28-09, 10:02 PM
GED2Phd
Driver School Candidate

The Sonicelectronix site says they are out of stock and/or on back order. I've called Metra at least once a week since November to get an update and they told me just last week that they were going to ship soon. That is not to say that they may have told other members here something different, that is just what they told me. I have a Pioneer AVIC F90 that I am waiting to have installed--hence waiting for the install kit since November.

By the way, I bought an enclosure from a guy on ebay that fits rather nicely on the left side of the trunk. It was only 50 bucks and another 30 for shipping. This seems to be the best option for me since I didn't want some huge obnoxious box in my trunk. I also bought 2 of the new Alpine amps, a 1000w mono and a 600w 4 ch. They are designed to stack on top of each other to save space. I'm going to pull the disc changer and have the amps installed and stacked where the changer would typically go.

If anyone actually gets one of the install kits in their hands, please post it. I hate seeing this stuff in my closet everyday and would just like to see it installed.

Last edited by GED2Phd; 02-01-09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 06:04 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Anybody got a picture of 2DIN kit?

Quick Reply: Metra to release dash kit for sc 92-00