Sponsored by:

XM Radio Anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 02:54 PM
johnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Anomaly

I have a 2008 IS350 with dealer installed XM Radio.

On three occasions now, when changing XM stations, I’ve had a strange problem.

The best way to describe this is a cyclical pattern of static, then signal, then static, etc., for about 10 or 15 seconds after changing a channel. Note this is a regular and repeating pattern, not to be confused with the expected behavior of driving under a bridge and then re-acquiring the signal. After this 10 or 15 seconds of cyclical signal loss the radio will go “dead”. I can switch to AM, FM, CD and get sound but when I switch back to satellite, nothing on any channel.

Turning the head unit on and off does not correct the problem but turning off and on the ignition does ... until it happens again.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this issue with the Lexus XM radio or have any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks,
John
Old 01-03-09, 06:08 PM
TuxWill
Driver School Candidate

This is exactly the problem I was experiencing when I got my new 3GS ML in November with the dealer installed XM. 3 times in the first 2 weeks I had the car, the XM had the hiss cycling and then went dead. AM/FM/CD worked fine. The workaround was to recycle the ignition. Not easily done on the freeway. I complained to the dealer. They ended up replacing the XM receiver unit. That solved the problem.

Good luck,

TuxWill
Old 02-04-10, 02:10 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

yes! This is the EXACT SAME problem I have had since I bought my 2008 IS 350 in January 2009 w/ XM installed. You didn't mention that the preview channel at that point is the only channel that's working, but it's static-y cutting in and out (like the other stations before they go totally out). And yeah, later it usually works again but I believe it's always been after I start my car up later. I've never stopped and turned my car back on right there and then, I just live without it for the rest of the ride.

On November 11/25/2009, I explained the problem to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate it, but they replaced the "XM TUNER ASSY" (according to the write up). But it still did not fix the problem because I've encountered it a few times since then. I have some video of it. I'll try to put it up. I don't think I caught the channels going out in time, but I got the preview channel being static-y and the other channels just dead.

I'm throwing keywords to make this thread easier to find (xm problem, xm problems, xm trouble, xm cutting in and out). I can't believe I stumbled across others with my problem.