MDF or PVC Speaker Adapter and 2GS Audio Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 03:31 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDF or PVC Speaker Adapter and 2GS Audio Set Up

Hello all,

I tried to search for this, but it did not pull up any results. I'm currently in the process of putting my system together for my '03 GS300 and instead of replacing the stock 4" speakers, I wanted to change them out to 6.5's. There are two sets of 4 to 6" speaker adapters on ebay. One set is made from MDF and the other from PVC.
1. MDF: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-TO-...fAudioQ5fVideo
2. PVC: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-TO-...fAudioQ5fVideo

The links are just for the rears, but I'll be getting both the front and rear's.

One concern was raised when I emailed both guys. One said that with MDF, it might rot. What do you guys think of that statement? They did say that the sound quality would not be affected by either material.

Here is a list of my plans:
1. Kenwood DNX8120 H/U
2. Boston Acoustic SL60 Front
3. Bost Acoustic SL65 Rear
4. Rockford Fosgate Power T4004 for speakers
5. Rockford Fosgate Power T3002 for subs
6. 2 Rockford Fosgate Power T1 10" Subs

Also, what do you guys think about enclosures? I want to maximize the trunk space (without sacrificing the sound of the T1's) and I'm currently shopping for some enclosures and thinking about where to mount them. I was thinking about putting them between the rear wheel wells and trunk. I don't want a huge box taking up half of the trunk. Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.

If you guys have any thoughts or input (what works, what doesn't, what you would you change/add/delete), please let me know. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks in advance for you input.
Old 11-10-08, 05:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mdf

MDF baffles are the clear choice.
PVC is not rigid enough and sound quality is not likely to be as good.
MDF will not rot unless you have a deluge in your doors, in which case you have bigger problems. Most of us have used MDF extensively.
You can make your own baffles very cheaply if you are handy with a jigsaw.
There is a TON of information in these forums on making baffles/adapters/enclosures, and replacing just about anything in your system.
Spend some time searching the posts.
Old 11-10-08, 07:25 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Thanks for your help. I did search for mdf and found all the links and thought about making my own, but I didn't find any that compared them to PVC, which is why I posted a new thread.

I like the ones on ebay because it looks clean and more 'professional.' Plus I don't have a jigsaw. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-08, 09:33 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I just checked out the ebay links you posted and both the MDF and PVC versions are well made. I don't think you can go wrong with either for the price. Yeah, at that price it's not even worth buying the wood and doing the work yourself....
Old 11-12-08, 02:43 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Cool thanks. I ordered the mdf ones per your earlier suggestion. Shipping was a bit pricey. I'm pretty bad when it comes to taking pictures, but I will try and post some. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-12-08, 06:09 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

spdracer,

I personally wouldn't do either as neither one actually seals against the door. I've had both.

I would do what I ended up doing. Take the factory pod and unscrew the two pieces. Next, dremel the lip off the rear piece until it is flat. On the back side I would recommend dremeling half the pod off for the speaker to breathe. Most 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's need the whole door as air space. Cut a piece of 1/2" MDF to fit the inside of the now flat lip of the pod. This is actually easier than it sounds. Liquid nail the two pieces together and let dry. Cut whatever size hole you need. You will still have two mounting tabs to mount the enclosure back to the door. Go to the auto parts store and get some of there black 3m sealent (it's like a workable caulk similar to what the rain shield is glued onto the inside of the door with) to line the back of the enclosure and help seal to the door. If you want more info or pics let me know. I have a set of Morel Elate 6 1/2's in mine and they sound fantastic.

Shane
Old 11-12-08, 08:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I used non-drying clay to seal my wooden baffle against the door. No leaks for me. I used the OEM plastic enclosure before and even with sound deadener, the thing wouldn't stop resonating around 300hz!
Old 11-19-08, 02:32 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Shane. I already received the baffles I ordered. I didn't want to alter/modify the stock adapter. I really want to see some pictures of your set up though. I will definitely look into that sealant, but how/why would water get in the door anyways?
Old 11-19-08, 11:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Just use some Mortite strip caulk, avail at home depot in the weatherstripping section, to seal the new baffles against the door panel. Using the original plastic enclosures will cause unwanted resonances.

You can also use the black silicone caulk in addition to the Mortite.

You MUST seal the new baffles to the door panel. Otherwise, air will leak around them and affect frequency response. It's the same reason that a subwoofer enclosure needs to be sealed really well.
Old 11-20-08, 08:31 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

I went with the mdf route but used those thin strips of foam weatherstripping to seal them. 2 or 3 layers of this will get you an airtight seal when the mdf board is screwed down. It's also not permanent and removes with no left over adhesives to clean.
Old 03-01-10, 06:45 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm contemplating the same thing but in my case, it'll be 8" mids in the front door. I wonder if 1/2" PVC will be good enough or should I go thicker?

raised from the dead but on topic.
Old 03-01-10, 08:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It depends on the mountind depth of the speaker.
Old 03-01-10, 10:54 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought these from diymobileaudio.

shallow mount.
Old 03-09-10, 12:56 PM
wutiteez
Driver

Bringing this thread back up from the grave but does anyone know where I can get the 6.5" adapters for my gs400? eBay only has one seller and he tried scamming me by taking my money, never responding, and never shipped them out. I have a dispute open on paypal right now bc of that.
Old 03-09-10, 04:33 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't personally know of any other place that sells adapters, I haven't looked though, there very well could be someone out there. It's not too difficult to make them yourself if you're a little handy. Good to know that seller is shady, hope you can get things resolved.

Sam, what is the mounting depth on those? I would think it'd be tough to fit 8's with any depth to them. I've been having a hard time with my mids which are 6 3/4" with 3" mounting depth. I think I've hopefully got it worked out but it's a tight fit behind the door panel. It'd be alot easier if your mounting depth is less than 2.5".

Quick Reply: MDF or PVC Speaker Adapter and 2GS Audio Set Up